• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

How to deal with developer?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by LiveEntrepreneur, Feb 11, 2019.

1. LiveEntrepreneur

LiveEntrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,481
    I have been working on a project lately, and it's just been a bit of a disaster. Basic bugs are all over the application and the communication I feel is very poor. I have to constantly remind the programmer of what needs to be done and it still doesn't get done. It's way past the delivery date. Don't mean to complain here, but just was looking to get some ideas. On how you guys deal with developers that are like this? If I get another developer I'll have to pay for the bug fixes, but with this one I am losing time like I have a month already.

Thanks.

2. WinYourself

WinYourself Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $578
    Time and sanity is more important than money, get a new developer.

Don't try changing the persons behavior or output, people don't change.

You either have a superstar programmer or you don't

Next time when first red flag appears replace programmer immediately.

Learn how to write better project descriptions.

Learn how to screen and interview properly so you don't end up in this situation again.

Learn how to use small test work / projects for potential hires.

Learn how to use milestones and project management tools for communication like Basecamp or Slack.

jasoncuellar123, Jello and NMdad like this.
  3. Smuggo

Smuggo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $656
    Looking at your situation right now, isn't it better to hire better dev? If his application has basic bugs in the beginning, it will keep getting worse and worse. In the future you may pay more for this guy mistakes than hiring more responsible person now.

I am not a guy who would fire someone immediately because of some mistakes, but if the communications fails there is no other way to go, at least for me.

You can always hire company to find programmer for you if you are not sure how to do it yourself. There're tons for devs nowadays and it's crucial to find good ones in that crowd.

4. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,083
    Totally agree with what @WinYourself said. Your current developer has shown who they are & how they work--you're unlikely to change that. Find a new developer, but before you hire them, give them specific tasks to gauge their responsiveness, insight & initiative & problem-solving skills, then hire them for a specific small task. If they do well, increase the size of the next task, and repeat.

5. maverick

maverick Unorthodox Nonconformist Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,327
    Get rid off the dev.

Take ownership for your role in this issue i.e. spend more time on due diligence when hiring resources next time.

Whenever I need a dev, I breakdown my idea into small, containable issues. Either these issues will have open source examples available online (e.g. on github) or you will be able to pattern match the issue to find a solution in a different area.

Draw up the rest. Use tools like invisionapp.com, balsamiq.com etc to make clear what you need.

NMdad likes this.
  6. Jello

Jello Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,123
    Exactly the same thing happened to me.

Poor communication, a lot of bugs, promises and promises.

In the end all was left was a terrible system, no customers and so many bugs it made me cry.

Like everyone else in this thread already mentioned go hire another programmer because this one will not get any better.

Before hiring the next programmer do your research and interview several people.

You might want to consider starting from scratch since patching spaghetti coded software filled with bugs can bring quite a few headaches.

Throwing more money at it with the same poor developer working on it will get you know where.

Only a fool keeps repeating the same thing thinking it will bring other results.

Smuggo likes this.
  7. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,733
    Sounds like it's time for a new developer. Hiring someone should make your job easier, not harder. That's my one and only hiring insight.

For the next try, make sure that whatever you need developed is described in writing, concisely but thoroughly, if it's not already. That will make the transition easier.

8. Patrick Jones

Patrick Jones growing Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,233
    In the beginning you need to go through a couple of developers to find out what makes a good one.

On the tool side: Jira is as good as it gets for organising development tasks.

9. LiveEntrepreneur

LiveEntrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,481
    Thanks guys. I guess one mistake was not interviewing more people. I sorta trusted the person from the start because the tone in his voice (the way he spoke) suggested to me that he wants to help and looked at his history, everything seemed fine.

Everytime we are in conversation I ask something and he doesn't really answer it.

Do you think it makes sense to get a refund at this point also?

10. Patrick Jones

Patrick Jones growing Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,233
    If you can, why wouldn't you?

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.