The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How much do you pay per word when the writer does its own research?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

blulemming

New Contributor
May 14, 2020
Slovenia
Hello everyone,

I run a website, which is getting bigger and bigger. I do all the topic and keyword research and I also prepare the articles for my two writers (I copy/paste bits and pieces from different articles that I like). I occasionally do some writing on my own, which is then proofread and edited.

However, I'm noticing, that I'll have a hard time growing the site if I continue to run it like this. There is also a growing list of old articles that need to be updated.

I'm thinking about letting my writers do all the research/writing part. I currently pay $20 to $23 per 1000 words for pre-prepared articles. However, I usually spend at least 1-2 hours preparing the articles. If I pay for this extra time, the cost per article would probably rise to $70-$100 per 2.000+ word article.

That would not be an issue if I knew that the article will perform. But the reality is that 70%-80% percent of articles don't bring any meaningful traffic. So how do I force myself to spend $100 per article without knowing if it will even rank on a meaningful position?

How much do you guys pay for articles that are researched and written by your writers? Or do you have a person that does content research for your writers?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
There's a risk involved and someone has to take it. Usually, the one who takes more risk is rewarded with more money.

But the reality is that 70%-80% percent of articles don't bring any meaningful traffic.
Which means 1 in 4 does get meaningful traffic!

So how do I force myself to spend $100 per article without knowing if it will even rank on a meaningful position?
Does spending $400 on 4 articles with 1 article ranking well sound as bad?

Nov 27, 2018
I'm a freelance writer and the lowest rate I work for is $0.05 per word. I don't do keyword research but I do research the topic, products, etc. There are specific guidelines I follow, which remain the same for every article. The firm I write for have their own editors and SEO people who take care of the rest. I just write and submit.

This is a fairly low rate for a native speaker, but they have an almost unlimited amount of work that I can do as and when I please. They also have a pretty hefty budget for content and they're absolutely killing it.

You get what you pay for with writing. Too cheap and the quality will be crap. It may rank, but will people read it? Will it harm your bounce rate and dwell time (thus rankings)? Newbies might be willing to get their feet wet for a low rate but how long will that last for before they burn out or move on?

Just my perspective as a writer.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
How much it will cost if I go for a new setup. I was looking for such ideas and I want to take...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Finally! I just launched a short story on Kindle (FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited)! After...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
I planned to make a separate post for this video but it is useful here as well for anyone...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Last promo of the year.. Get the training you need now or miss it. Promo Code: FINALHOUR...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
UPDATED POST: Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom