The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much do you pay per word when the writer does its own research?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

blulemming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 14, 2020
Slovenia
Hello everyone,

I run a website, which is getting bigger and bigger. I do all the topic and keyword research and I also prepare the articles for my two writers (I copy/paste bits and pieces from different articles that I like). I occasionally do some writing on my own, which is then proofread and edited.

However, I'm noticing, that I'll have a hard time growing the site if I continue to run it like this. There is also a growing list of old articles that need to be updated.

I'm thinking about letting my writers do all the research/writing part. I currently pay $20 to $23 per 1000 words for pre-prepared articles. However, I usually spend at least 1-2 hours preparing the articles. If I pay for this extra time, the cost per article would probably rise to $70-$100 per 2.000+ word article.

That would not be an issue if I knew that the article will perform. But the reality is that 70%-80% percent of articles don't bring any meaningful traffic. So how do I force myself to spend $100 per article without knowing if it will even rank on a meaningful position?

How much do you guys pay for articles that are researched and written by your writers? Or do you have a person that does content research for your writers?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
There's a risk involved and someone has to take it. Usually, the one who takes more risk is rewarded with more money.

But the reality is that 70%-80% percent of articles don't bring any meaningful traffic.
Which means 1 in 4 does get meaningful traffic!

So how do I force myself to spend $100 per article without knowing if it will even rank on a meaningful position?
Does spending $400 on 4 articles with 1 article ranking well sound as bad?

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 27, 2018
I'm a freelance writer and the lowest rate I work for is $0.05 per word. I don't do keyword research but I do research the topic, products, etc. There are specific guidelines I follow, which remain the same for every article. The firm I write for have their own editors and SEO people who take care of the rest. I just write and submit.

This is a fairly low rate for a native speaker, but they have an almost unlimited amount of work that I can do as and when I please. They also have a pretty hefty budget for content and they're absolutely killing it.

You get what you pay for with writing. Too cheap and the quality will be crap. It may rank, but will people read it? Will it harm your bounce rate and dwell time (thus rankings)? Newbies might be willing to get their feet wet for a low rate but how long will that last for before they burn out or move on?

Just my perspective as a writer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.