The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google 3rd Party Cookie

Marketing, social media, advertising

krich1512

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Aug 12, 2020
St Lucia
Hey Fast Laners!

What's going on guys? I'm in the process of creating an affiliate program so my partners can help me sell more products.. however.. I'm hearing that Google will start disabling 3rd party cookies. Will this stop me from being able to track affiliate sales through their individual links? Are online affiliate networks dead because of this Google policy change?

Thanks,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
It could be a huge problem for affiliate networks that rely on third-party cookies.

In-house affiliate tracking, on the other hand, uses "first-party" cookies. For example:

1. user clicks affiliate link: example.com/track?aff=ID
2. affiliate tracking software sets a first-party cookie under example.com
3. after the sale, the customer is redirected to example.com/thank-you-for-purchase which can access the first-party cookie and track the sale

If I would be starting an affiliate program now, I'd buy and install some in-house tracking.

krich1512

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Aug 12, 2020
St Lucia
It could be a huge problem for affiliate networks that rely on third-party cookies.

In-house affiliate tracking, on the other hand, uses "first-party" cookies. For example:

1. user clicks affiliate link: example.com/track?aff=ID
2. affiliate tracking software sets a first-party cookie under example.com
3. after the sale, the customer is redirected to example.com/thank-you-for-purchase which can access the first-party cookie and track the sale

If I would be starting an affiliate program now, I'd buy and install some in-house tracking.
Thank you! Right now I'm using AffiliateWP with my Wordpress site. Is this system now obsolete? And who can help create this in-house tracking you speak of?

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Not familiar with AffiliateWP, but if it's hosted on the same domain name as your store, you should be fine.

As for in-house tracking; I haven't been in the affiliate industry for years so not sure what software is popular now, but I'd search Google for "Affiliate tracking software", "in-house affiliate software" and similar, or wait if someone else here has more recent experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theofficepass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 27, 2020
Delhi NCR
Heard about it couple of months ago. This was somewhat of an inevitable outcome, and I think most people were already expecting this to happen at some point.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.