The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Goal: Another Word for Event

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I've been listening to a book called Atomic Habits. It's worth a minute if you are someone that has trouble with the word goals.

The entire premise of the book is that we should spend less time thinking about goals and instead strive to develop the systems that will take us to our goals and beyond.

It makes sense, right? Let's say you reach a goal, then what? Go back to what you were doing before?

I can't help but hear MJs voice screaming Goals Are Events! Systems Are The Process!

Oh ok. An entire book about focusing on the process instead of events. Sound familiar? It should if you're here...

I like the advice. I also find it ironic that an entire genre of media focuses on setting and achieving goals. So much about goals. Not enough about the process.

Maybe it's because you can't mass produce process. Each person will have to make find their own.

I think it's an important distinction to make. Goals are Events and the real way to achieve goals and beyond is to hone in on a process that will guarantee achievement and beyond.

Side note: another book I read a while back called Willpower Won't Work is also worth checking out. It's all about how your environment causes most of your behavior and will power and discipline have very little to do with it.

It's a cool idea because we can all change our environment, even if we can't figure out how to be more disciplined...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Thanks, definitely all of that is true. Reaching the goal is an event that requires building a process/system to achieve, it's logical.

Atomic Habits is on my reading list, but I don't have time for books now.
Do you think there's still lots of value in those books for someone who read Unscripted /TMF ?
Asking cause MJ wrote much GOLD on both topics too.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Thanks, definitely all of that is true. Reaching the goal is an event that requires building a process/system to achieve, it's logical.

Atomic Habits is on my reading list, but I don't have time for books now.
Do you think there's still lots of value in those books for someone who read Unscripted /TMF ?
Asking cause MJ wrote much GOLD on both topics too.

I would say the book is probably most useful for someone who is interested in human behavior and wants a condensed version of the many books out on habits.

I normally spend 90% of my reading/listening time on books I've been through before and I know are gold. This one entered my radar a few times before I actually got it.

It's short, maybe 6 hours. Good for listening to at the gym or walking.

If you are someone who already has a firm grasp and isn't struggling with goals or follow through, then your time is probably better spend elsewhere, like taking action or working out the best process to make your goals a reality.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.