The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expelled from my school..

Marc65437

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Oct 20, 2017
France
Hi everyone ! It is a pleasure to join this community as I've been reading The Millionnaire Fastlane for about 6 months (I read it 3 times^^). I must admit that I didn't really want to join this forum at first because I thought it was just one big marketing tool for MJ's books but after reading a few posts, I realized how much great information I could get here ;-)

Anyway, I am a french guy. I'm still very young (18). Two years ago, I've built a website for my school where students could rate their teachers. We would then review the ratings and send them to the teachers once every six months. It really wasn't about bullying teachers but helping them to improve their way of teaching but the school didn't see it that way. They actually expelled me and my friends/businesspartners. I used the opportunity to go away one year (to England). Anyway, I'm now building different businesses on the internet ;-) We'll see where it takes me !
@MJ DeMarco - I would love to translate your books in french and was wondering how much you wanted to get paid per sold book and if this would interest you ?
Thanks to everyone !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Haha, and now you've got a great story to tell!

I love the initiative. You know you're doing something big, when it ruffles a lot of feathers!

Being a former teacher... I can tell you that most teachers don't want to know, and don't care, what their students think about how they teach. Humans, in general, have a hard time accepting critical feedback of any kind... ESPECIALLY from subordinates.

That being said, it was a great idea, and I'm sure it was a lot of fun.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It really wasn't about bullying teachers but helping them to improve their way of teaching but the school didn't see it that way. They actually expelled me and my friends/businesspartners.

Of course. Can't have students grading the teachers can we? How on earth can those bad teachers keep their jobs when all their kids report they suck?

I would love to translate your books in french

Sorry but the license has already been sold to a French publisher with experience in the market. Thanks for asking!!

D

Deleted50669

Hi everyone ! It is a pleasure to join this community as I've been reading The Millionnaire Fastlane for about 6 months (I read it 3 times^^). I must admit that I didn't really want to join this forum at first because I thought it was just one big marketing tool for MJ's books but after reading a few posts, I realized how much great information I could get here ;-)

Anyway, I am a french guy. I'm still very young (18). Two years ago, I've built a website for my school where students could rate their teachers. We would then review the ratings and send them to the teachers once every six months. It really wasn't about bullying teachers but helping them to improve their way of teaching but the school didn't see it that way. They actually expelled me and my friends/businesspartners. I used the opportunity to go away one year (to England). Anyway, I'm now building different businesses on the internet ;-) We'll see where it takes me !
@MJ DeMarco - I would love to translate your books in french and was wondering how much you wanted to get paid per sold book and if this would interest you ?
Thanks to everyone !

I'm about meritocratic performance ratings as much as you are, but building a rogue, unsponsored ranking system is generally ill-advised in any setting. You will invariably be seen as a dissenter, rather than a contributor, when you do not first communicate the value of the initiative. Of course, there will be some (in this case, a majority) who argue against the idea, but if you don't communicate, your effort is analogous to mutiny on a pirate ship. Whether the logic is or isn't there (which, in this case, I would argue it isn't because what you really built is another outlet for teenagers to bitch about having to work hard), people with decision authority do not care if it hasn't been vetted through their screening process. Now say you got through their screening process, do you have evidence for criterion validity of the ratings? What about predictive validity? A strategy to turn the feedback into actionable solution? Feedback without a solution is a common description for whining.

Sincerely, management consultant who co-develops organizational feedback systems... often.

KrzyszWawrzyniak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2017
Great Britain
Of course. Can't have students grading the teachers can we? How on earth can those bad teachers keep their jobs when all their kids report they suck?

Because their managers and the entire system sucks.

They will tell you you're intelligent and all... and then they will exclude you just because you've raised concerns about teacher who were calling their students names in the classroom.
They will tell you that they're here for you and they're dedicated/passionate/aroused about teaching... and then they will tell you to not ask this question because it's not your level and you'll have it next year.
They will tell you that giving/receiving feedback is important as well as improving on yourself, that you can always improve something AND they'll admit that they (teachers) themselves have a lot to improve as well... and then they will give you official warning just because you've noticed teacher being constantly late for the lessons or on their phone during the sessions.

A bunch of F*cking hypocrites...
They don't care about their kids/students. Just like some restaurant owner sitting at the table and smoking cigarettes regardless of their clients at the table next to them, or a barber owner talking to his wife regardless of his 2 years old child screaming at the top of his lungs next to the customers ears giving him some anxious memories and a headache.

I used to believe that teachers and schools really care about us. Honestly! But this is not the case.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
Two years ago, I've built a website for my school where students could rate their teachers. We would then review the ratings and send them to the teachers once every six months. It really wasn't about bullying teachers but helping them to improve their way of teaching but the school didn't see it that way. They actually expelled me and my friends/businesspartners.

Ah, so now your education can truly begin.

Marc65437

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Oct 20, 2017
France

I totally agree ! Well, when you think about it, people accept that Central Banks play with their money without even thinking about it ! Inflation is such a WTF thing ^^Why on earth should my money be worth less in two years ? (haha that's why I'm such a Bitcoin fan I guess).
Anyway thanks for the answer ! I'm actually really confused that you spend so much time on this website (if it's really you^^). Doesn't really fit with your values, does it?

Marc65437

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Oct 20, 2017
France
I'm about meritocratic performance ratings as much as you are, but building a rogue, unsponsored ranking system is generally ill-advised in any setting. You will invariably be seen as a dissenter, rather than a contributor, when you do not first communicate the value of the initiative. Of course, there will be some (in this case, a majority) who argue against the idea, but if you don't communicate, your effort is analogous to mutiny on a pirate ship. Whether the logic is or isn't there (which, in this case, I would argue it isn't because what you really built is another outlet for teenagers to bitch about having to work hard), people with decision authority do not care if it hasn't been vetted through their screening process. Now say you got through their screening process, do you have evidence for criterion validity of the ratings? What about predictive validity? A strategy to turn the feedback into actionable solution? Feedback without a solution is a common description for whining.

Sincerely, management consultant who co-develops organizational feedback systems... often.
That's really cool ! Thanks for the answer ! The funny thing is that I only received negative feedbacks for the school ^^Parents, students and even newspapers and a few politics actually supported my initiative ;-9

Just to give you some more information, students couldn't just say anything, we had a form that we build up with university teachers. And nothing was never published on the website but reviewed and send to the teacher if they agreed to receive them (some results where so bad that I was really afraid to send them.. luckily, the teachers with bad results never asked for them..)

But you are completely right, I could have done things much better ;-) As always ;-) Thanks for your post !

eduinvestor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 6, 2017
It really wasn't about bullying teachers but helping them to improve their way of teaching but the school didn't see it that way.
I learned that when I was 13. The teacher gave us a paper and we had to review her, I said that she was a bad teacher and exposed my arguments.
The thing is that they knew who we were by our way to write.
A few hours later the teacher and the headmistess came to talk to me and told me that everything I said was wrong, that I should be more polite...

Roulf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 6, 2017
Ontario
I totally agree ! Well, when you think about it, people accept that Central Banks play with their money without even thinking about it ! Inflation is such a WTF thing ^^Why on earth should my money be worth less in two years ? (haha that's why I'm such a Bitcoin fan I guess).
Anyway thanks for the answer ! I'm actually really confused that you spend so much time on this website (if it's really you^^). Doesn't really fit with your values, does it?

It does in the sense of higher values of life. Plus, he does profit from the website. But after a certain amount of money and fast lane life, I believe the fastlaners start to shift their focus into bigger purpose ideals. That's what I plan to do anyway. Fastlane life into pursuit of higher calling.

EDIT: btw, welcome to the forum =)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Just to give you some more information, students couldn't just say anything, we had a form that we build up with university teachers. And nothing was never published on the website but reviewed and send to the teacher if they agreed to receive them (some results where so bad that I was really afraid to send them.. luckily, the teachers with bad results never asked for them..)

But you are completely right, I could have done things much better ;-) As always ;-) Thanks for your post !

Actually, it sounds like you did this really well.

Given the fact that you gave you gave teachers the options of receiving the feedback... I'm really surprised about the intensity of backlash against you.

Marc65437

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Oct 20, 2017
France
Actually, it sounds like you did this really well.

Given the fact that you gave you gave teachers the options of receiving the feedback... I'm really surprised about the intensity of backlash against you.

;-) In the end it was a good thing that they reacted so aggressively because newspapers wanted to write about it and I met amazing journalists so that's very nice !

Anyway, you seem to be on this forum since a long time & it seems like you "made it" ! Just out of curiosity, what brings you here ? I presume you don't need advice ^^

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just out of curiosity, what brings you here ? I presume you don't need advice ^^

Everyone always has something to learn.

You need to change your mindset from thinking that once you've "made it" that you never need advice from anyone again. Pride and arrogance come before the fall.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
;-) In the end it was a good thing that they reacted so aggressively because newspapers wanted to write about it and I met amazing journalists so that's very nice !

Anyway, you seem to be on this forum since a long time & it seems like you "made it" ! Just out of curiosity, what brings you here ? I presume you don't need advice ^^

I didn't make it, I'm still on my way. I've achieved some milestones, but I'm still not where I want to me.

There's plenty I don't know, and I am learning more things from people here every day.

I've learned a lot about one thing (selling on Amazon). Now I'm learning a ton every day about lots of different things (driving traffic, media buying, facebook ads, email marketing, etc. etc.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...