• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Entrepreneurship and environnement

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by Thomas Chauvet, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Thomas Chauvet

Thomas Chauvet Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $754
    Hi guys,

Was wondering what was your beliefs and thought systems about ecology and environment as fastlaners.

There's kind of a crisis in France, because the Minister of Ecology, who wasn't a political man, just left the government in despair one year after entering it, saying that things are impossible to change that way. He even declared on national radio that given the emergency of the situation, we should start considering terrorism, blockades and sabotaging.

Capitalism is linked, IMHO, to the Fastlane way-of-thinking. I don't know if you guys read "Science of Success" from Charles G. Koch, but there's great insights in it, similar to TMF. He talks about capitalism as a good system since people providing great value are encouraged because rewarded. If the reward disappears then most of the value disappears also because we are, in fine, egoist creatures.

However, sometimes this philosophy enters in conflict with ecology. No one have a particular immediate and short term value in saving the planet, and it's even often associated with pain (more effort to provide, less comfort, etc), because no one alone is responsible for this. It's a common thing, resting on everyone (and so... nobody?).

It's a problem I often think about. What do you think about the opposition between bringing value to this world, but often at an ecologic cost ?

Technology will probably help in the future. Elon Musk for instance is working towards solutions for more ecological means of transportations, but in fact, today, electric cars are often as polluting as thermic ones because of a high manufacturing energy cost, and provenance of electricity used to recharge [1].
    Petrol is so efficient, some people think nothing will be able to replace it. It's possible that for a long time every "green" energy or way of doing something will be more expensive than polluting options.

How can we find a way to make people realise the global value of saving our planet despite the individual cost ? What are your opinions on the subject ?

1 - https://www.ademe.fr/sites/default/files/assets/documents/avisademe-vehicule-electrique.pdf (in french)

2. TheOwl8

TheOwl8 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $418
    I use to work in the timber industry. I can assure you that the company I worked for did a better job of managing the long-term growth and sustainability of timber than any governmental or non-profit conservatory group. Ten trees were planted for every one cut. Why? We wanted to make a profit, and continue to make a profit.

I disagree with the assertion that companies are only concerned with short term value. Some are, but most well run companies are seeking long-term sustainable profits. If anyone is only concerned with the short term, it is the politicians who are up for election every two years.

If we are going to save the planet, it is going to be done by entrepreneurial businesses, new innovation, and consumers demanding sustainable business practices. Not the government.

Kingmaker and Invictus like this.
  3. Thomas Chauvet

Thomas Chauvet Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $754
    I totally agree with you.

I was talking about short term regarding the environment issues, clearly not business ones !

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.