The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doubt based on adding extra content to simple and unique website

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
I am a high school student and was inspired by many young entrepreneurs who went 0 to 1. So I decided to make a website with my team.
Earlier we decided to stick to a simple and unique idea which isn't already done by anyone. But later we kept on adding more and more features which were also present on thousands of sites already. Personally I felt that those bulky content were somewhere degrading the uniqueness of that idea we decided earlier and also it's taking a huge amount of time from our day which isn't allowed in high school where I have other things to cope up with. So, I want opinions on whether should we add those heavy features along with that "unique" idea or should I keep it unique and simple.
(the simple idea is already done but those extra ones are taking time and probably will take months to be completed).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
I am a high school student and was inspired by many young entrepreneurs who went 0 to 1. So I decided to make a website with my team.
Earlier we decided to stick to a simple and unique idea which isn't already done by anyone. But later we kept on adding more and more features which were also present on thousands of sites already. Personally I felt that those bulky content were somewhere degrading the uniqueness of that idea we decided earlier and also it's taking a huge amount of time from our day which isn't allowed in high school where I have other things to cope up with. So, I want opinions on whether should we add those heavy features along with that "unique" idea or should I keep it unique and simple.
(the simple idea is already done but those extra ones are taking time and probably will take months to be completed).
Designing a good website that provides a lot of content is a tricky balancing act to pull off. One attempt to present the user with all the information in a clean, organized manner, or reveal it through our website. I suggest some tips that you can apply when you build a website.
  • Keep your homepage minimalistic and free of clutter
  • Design with visual hierarchy in mind
  • Create easy to read website content
  • Ensure your site is easy to navigate
  • Stay mobile-friendly

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
The market determines the features.

Say a bit more about your idea. What is it about? What does the MVP look like?

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021

Basically our website provided numerous notes on any topic, which would be uploaded and downloaded by the visitors. Later we decided to add more features like textbook solutions, their pdfs,sample question papers, PYQs etc. Which were already there on other websites on the web. I felt like it degraded the uniqueness of our former idea which was simple with no complications and also the extra features are taking time and will take months to complete, which is difficult to do in high school, while the notes part is already done. So I just wanna ask whether we should stick to the simpler idea or add as much features as we can. If u want I can link our website.

Frinys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Oct 28, 2019
I think you are right. I also think that you want us to say that you are right so that you can show the rest of your team this thread. Which will do no good.

- Do you have any users yet? If no, you should focus on this. One feature suggested by a user is worth hundreds of features you think you need.

- What are your team's ambitions? Do they want to use the project as a reference when applying for jobs in the future? Or do they want this project to be their source of income? If they want it as a reference, then it's no point fighting against them. Ask if you can do a spinoff yourself.

It's easy to be stuck in the "just one more feature" loop. I've done it myself. But development is only a small part of a project. You need marketing, sales, etc etc. More features will not bring you any users. If you have an MVP, it is time to test the market.

If you can't get any users with the MVP you have built by now, you will probably not get any when the product has features X, Y, Z neither.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Basically our website provided numerous notes on any topic, which would be uploaded and downloaded by the visitors. Later we decided to add more features like textbook solutions, their pdfs,sample question papers, PYQs etc. Which were already there on other websites on the web. I felt like it degraded the uniqueness of our former idea which was simple with no complications and also the extra features are taking time and will take months to complete, which is difficult to do in high school, while the notes part is already done. So I just wanna ask whether we should stick to the simpler idea or add as much features as we can. If u want I can link our website.
Can we get a link?

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
I think you are right. I also think that you want us to say that you are right so that you can show the rest of your team this thread. Which will do no good.

- Do you have any users yet? If no, you should focus on this. One feature suggested by a user is worth hundreds of features you think you need.

- What are your team's ambitions? Do they want to use the project as a reference when applying for jobs in the future? Or do they want this project to be their source of income? If they want it as a reference, then it's no point fighting against them. Ask if you can do a spinoff yourself.

It's easy to be stuck in the "just one more feature" loop. I've done it myself. But development is only a small part of a project. You need marketing, sales, etc etc. More features will not bring you any users. If you have an MVP, it is time to test the market.

If you can't get any users with the MVP you have built by now, you will probably not get any when the product has features X, Y, Z

If you can't get any users with the MVP you have built by now, you will probably not get any when the product has features X, Y, Z neither.

Can we get a link?
Sure, but some things I wanna state

If u want to see that notes one basically that unique idea it's "community notes". Else is other material. And pls ignore the about US on home page it was just on a template that we have to edit as we uploaded the site yesterday.

Notes community link-

Home page-

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.