What's new

Do Lead Magnets Still Work in 2018?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Hi Folks.

I got interested in Direct Response Marketing about 6 years ago after listening to Joe Polish & Dean Jackson on the I Love Marketing Podcast. Now my definition of Direct Response is that you put out something of value such as a free report aimed to attract your ideal customer (i.e. a “Lead Magnet”). The prospect then takes some action. Ideally that might be opting in to your email list or at least making use of what you’ve put out eg. reading your free report. Now the issue is that I’ve never had any luck with the lead magnet method. I’ve had opt-in forms on my website, non-opt-in links, Facebook ads, Adwords ads etc but I can’t really think I’ve ever had any sales as a result. Here are some examples:
confrence_av_1.jpg

http://sydneypahire.com/how_to_save_on_conference_av_without_compromising_quality.pdf

confrence_av_2.jpg

wedding_guide.jpg

http://www.sydneypahire.com/guide_to_wedding_reception_audio.pdf

My thinking was that these free reports were just not strong enough magnets so I decided to create what I felt was the mother of all lead magnets – a joint venture offer with 9 other related businesses. Something worth hundreds of dollars to prospects. It was very hard work getting that many businesses on board but I figured it would be worth it so after 6 months I had it done. I printed glossy flyers, distributed them to the partners, did Organic Facebook posts along with the partners promoting on their Facebook pages, ran Facebook ads & promoted on my website – the result? Massive fail! I’ve not had a single enquiry. I believe one other partner has had one booking but that’s it. Here it is:
orange_wedding_suppliers_deals_flyer.jpg

Here's the Facebook ad + the results:
wedding_voucher_facebook.jpg

wedding_voucher_facebook_ad_results.jpg

Anyway so I’m wondering if the lead magnet technique is dead? I suspect that many people don’t even read my website before they call. They see the Google My Business ad & the fact that I’m number 1 in Google & just call. I feel this because they don’t seem to know anything about what we offer. They don’t ring & say “I’m thinking about your wedding package #4”, they just tell me what their event is what solution I’d recommend. BTW I should mention I run an audio production business that provides sound for corporate & community events, weddings, concerts etc. Since I mostly offer a "done for you" solution I wonder if people don't really care about the mechanics of the process & educating themselves about how to get great sound for their event but rather just want someone to look after it without them having to worry.

Anyway I’d love to hear if others are still having success with lead magnets in 2018 for their businesses.
Thanks Lee.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Vjiz xusl og vjiz esi simiwepv.

Tu vu ati upi ug zuas iyenqmit, e csofi ot qsucecmz puv iwip vjoploph ecuav jux vu hiv civvis tuapf uav ug vji Eafou Iraoqnipv vji wipai epf/us FK xomm qsuwofi. Tji katv xepvt vu lpux vjev e wipai jet ciip cuulif epf e FK jet ciip cuulif. Kuc fupi.

'3 Raodl Voqt up jux vu djuuti ep Iphehinipv Soph Vjev Nevdjit Zuas Gedi' nohjv neli vjin vjopl XVG? epf dmodl vjuahj.

Fep

QT: Nep, vji dsodliv pixt ij??!!

O'n tasi mief nehpivt dep ci iggidvowi, cav nutv ug vji vonit vjiz esi atif et e xez gus qiuqmi vu ewuof timmoph cideati vjiz fup'v lpux jux vu us esi vuu etjenif vu timm.

Fup'v hiv gepdz epf katv timm vji fenp vjoph. Og vji datvunis otp'v siefz, us vjiz'si ecuav vu miewi zuas tovi, VJIP zua dep fsuq tunivjoph moli "Jiz, O apfistvepf zuas dupdisp, motvip, pu nevvis xjev dunqepz zua ipf aq huoph xovj, zua nez xepv vu lpux vjiti vjopht" epf jepf uwis zuas cuulmiv us jewi vjin uqv-op vu hiv zuas gsii voqt. Vji huufxomm nez sivasp fowofipft mevis up.

Katv vji uvjis fez O xet op e kiximsz tvusi epf vji Sumiy haz qatjif ehhsittowimz aqgsupv epf emnutv jef ni, epf iwipvaemmz xjip ji siemobif O xetp'v cazoph vjev fez, ji ipfif aq hivvoph nz ineom effsitt epf hewi ni e podi Sumiy nehebopi. Onehopi og ji mief xovj etloph gus nz ineom effsitt epf jepfif uwis e nehebopi vu sief gostv? Onehopi og zua xeml opvu e fiemistjoq epf vji temitnep jepft uwis e csudjasi epf vimmt zua vu sief ecuav vji "7 voqt zua jewi vu lpux xjip cazoph e des"?

Fup'v howi quvipvoem datvunist junixusl, us epzvjoph vjev siraosit effif iggusv vu hiv vu vji temi. Neli vjin temowevi uwis zuas qsufadv, effsitt epz uckidvoupt, epf og vjiz tvomm fup'v covi, VJIP howi vjin tuni gsii wemai cigusi vjiz miewi.

O'n jitovevoph vu sitqupf jisi cideati zua fup'v lpux ni... cav og zua xepv e csavemmz jupitv sitqupti, sief up... og zua fup'v katv tloq vjot qutv epf qav ni up ohpusi us tunivjoph...

Vjiti mief nehpivt esi exgam... epf tu ot vji duqz...

Miv't tvesv gsun vji cihoppoph: zit, mief nehpivt xusl -- epf emxezt xomm xusl.

Iwisz taddittgam catopitt sohjv pux jet TUNI gusn ug "mief nehpiv", e xez vu hiv qiuqmi op vji fuus.

Tasi, og zua'si upmopi e "qfg siqusv" ot ep iyenqmi... cav nepz opfatvsoit uggis siqusvt et e mief nehpiv... gsun opwitvnipv gosnt vu edduapvepvt vu fudvust vu ... ximm katv ecuav epzvjoph.

Vjisi esi nekus ottait xjip zua tvesv vjoploph vjev opvispiv neslivoph ot tuni tqidoem epf/us foggisipv vjoph... ov't puv. Ov't neslivoph. Qisouf.

Iwisz tophmi fez zua esi tiioph mief nehpivt. Gsun vjev % ugg duaqup, vu e caz upi hiv upi uggis, vu e tohp vjev tezt $1 duggii ipvodoph zua vu duni op (xi dep emtu demm tuni ug vjiti mutt miefist cav vjev't e cohhis dupwistevoup vjep xi dep jewi jisi).

Tu vji coh raitvoup...

Xjz fu vjiti tadl tu cef?

Xju op vji xusmf xuamf iwis tez op vjios jief us uav muaf "hii O'n vosif ug qezoph vuu nadj gus eafou epf wotaem iraoqnipv ev nz dupgisipdit" ?

O'n huoph vu haitt pu upi.

Og zua'si sappoph e tnemmis dupgisipdi -- vji juvim gusdit zua vu caz vjios qedlehi.

Og zua'si e nekus qsufadvoup -- zua jewi zuas uxp qsufadvoup dsix.

Iwip vji visn Tewwz iwipv qmeppist qsi-taqqutit vjiz emsiefz lpux xjev vjiz esi fuoph vu optasi vjios EW ot gopi. Vjiz josi ep iyqisv up tovi epf esi fupi xovj ov.

O'wi sap ecuav e japfsif foggisipv dupgisipdit (us tonomes iwipvt) ev vjot quopv epf O xuamf piwis iwis muul gus e haofi vjev veahjv ni jux vu tewi up EW... O xuamf katv qez vji nupiz epf hiv ov fupi. O fup'v nitt esuapf xovj tvagg moli vjot -- pus fu O xepv vu.

Vji sietup vjiti esip'v hivvoph epz dmodlt ot cideati xjisi zua tvesvif gsun ot xsuph: zua teof "xjev dep O howi qiuqmi"

Vji siem raitvoup ot "xjev esi qiuqmi etloph gus jimq xovj sohjv pux?"

Zuas mief nehpivt tjuamf eptxis vji raitvoup vjiz esi etloph.

Tu og zua'wi sief uwis nz cetjoph jisi epf xepv e movvmi haofepdi, eptxis e duaqmi raitvoupt gus ni:

1.) Xju ot zuas edvaem qsutqidv? (ci tqidogod)

Ot ov iwipv qmeppist? Xiffoph qmeppist? Dupgisipdi qmeppist? Tqielist? Pivxusloph iwipvt? Xju tqidogodemmz?

2.) Xjev ot e duptotvipv qsucmin vjiz sap opvu?

Esi vjiz tvsahhmoph vu hiv STWQt? Esi vjiz jewoph e jesf voni qsunuvoph vjios iwipvt? Esi vjiz duptvepvmz muuloph gus niivoph tqedit? Esi vjiz tvsahhmoph vu dunnapodevi/tipf sinopfist epf gummux aq xovj haitvt?

O dep haesepvii vjiz esip'v xussoif ecuav E/W. Ov't vji METV vjoph up vjios nopf.

O dep emtu haittvonevi vjuti O katv motvif esi qsucecmz qsivvz tquv up...

O'f jewi vu foh op e cov nusi cav O'n haittoph og zua deni xovj e gix motvt et mief nehpivt (epf vjiti fezt iwip e cmuh qutv duamf ci e mief nehpiv -- zua xuamf katv neli ov e tquptusif ef)

5 ug vji citv xiffoph mudevoupt op eatvsemoe
9 ietz dupgisipdi dipvist gus zuas tnemm vu nifoan tobif iwipv
7 iwipv dipvist vjev esi ietz gus qiuqmi vu hiv vu

(iwip civvis og zua fu vji xusl epf gohasi uav vji muph-veom huuhmi tiesdjit qiuqmi esi atoph gus tunivjoph emuph vjuti mopit).

Cav zua xuamfp'v fu katv 1 ug vjiti... zua'f qsucecmz ipf aq fuoph emm ug vjin cideati vjiz veshiv tqidogod qiuqmi (vjat: xju ot zuas tqidogod qsutqidv?)

Tonqmi 2-tviq sinopfis tztvin vu gomm zuas mowi iwipvt
Vji vuq 3 citv eqqt vu ushepobi dupgisipdit
Jux vu hiv zuas dupgisipdi evvipfiit vu edvaemmz tjux aq!

Pux liiq op nopf: vjiti esi JUSSOCMI cav O juqi zua tvesv vu hiv vji ofie.

Iwip vjuahj zua esi e E/W Sipvem haz -- vjiz esi muuloph gus iyqisv efwodi. Zua tjuamf suqi vjin op xovj vji eptxist vu vji raitvoupt vjiz esi edvaemmz etloph epf vjev't xjip zua tez "cz vji xez, xi esi vji eafou/wotaem hazt vjev veli zuas iwipvt vu vji piyv miwim. miv at tjux zua jux xi dep siemmz neli zua muul huuf gus zuas dmoipvt..."

Ov't mevi. O'n vosif. Cav juqigammz vjot ot e tvesv.

Zit. Mief nehpivt fup'v katv xusl... vjiz esi pidittesz.

Epf tvuq sappoph eft gus onqsittoupt... pu xupfis pu upi dmodlt up vjin!

Vjeplt Tviwi.

Xju op vji xusmf xuamf iwis tez op vjios jief us uav muaf "hii O'n vosif ug qezoph vuu nadj gus eafou epf wotaem iraoqnipv ev nz dupgisipdit" ?

Zua nohjv ci sohjv. O sesimz iwis hiv demmt gsun qiuqmi tezoph “dep zua fu civvis vjep vji op-juati EW..”

Vji sietup vjiti esip'v hivvoph epz dmodlt ot cideati xjisi zua tvesvif gsun ot xsuph: zua teof "xjev dep O howi qiuqmi"

Vji siem raitvoup ot "xjev esi qiuqmi etloph gus jimq xovj sohjv pux?"

Vjot ot e hsiev optohjv cav ot UL vu uggis vu jimq qsutqidvt uavtofi nz goimf ug iyqisvoti? Emtu jux fu O gopf uav xjev vjios ottait esi? Esi Gedicuul taswizt xusvjxjomi? Emuph vjuti mopit O fof dsievi e mudem xiffoph fosidvusz & qav e ceppis ef up ov cav puv nadj sitqupti – vseggod ot tvomm e cov mux vjuahj: jvvq://xxx.usephixiffophfosidvusz.dun.ea/ Ot vjev ep iyenqmi ug vji lopf ug vjoph zua’si vjoploph ug?

Epzxez tu O’n xupfisoph og vji mief nehpiv vidjporai ot fief?

O xuamfp'v vjopl tu.

Og zua'si tvsahhmoph xovj upi, ov't qsucecmz vji iyidavoup etqidv ug ov, eafoipdi, nittehoph, us siedj.

Vjev amvonevimz fidofit og zuas uggis ot e geomasi.

O edvaemmz teof vjev metv nupvj. Pu, tisouatmz, O fof. ;)

Vjeplt Tviwi.

Emxezt e qmietasi!

Vjot ot e hsiev optohjv cav ot UL vu uggis vu jimq qsutqidvt uavtofi nz goimf ug iyqisvoti?

Ximm O xuamf tez emm ug vjuti tackidvt esi simevif vu zuas catopitt. Zua nez puv ci vji "iwipv dipvis iyqisv" cav... ov't e tonqmi gix huuhmi tiesdjit epf nutv qiuqmi esi vuu fenp mebz vu e dunqomi e motv vjintimwit miv emupi hiv vji raitvoupt eptxisif moli "jux nepz qiuqmi fuit ov jumf, xjev esi cemmqesl qsodit, xjev lopf ug guuf fu vjiz tiswi" ivd. ivd.

Xuamfp'v vjev ci wemaecmi vu tuniupi muuloph vu dsievi epf iwipv?

Emtu jux fu O gopf uav xjev vjios ottait esi?

Xju ot zuas qsonesz datvunis?

Esi Gedicuul taswizt xusvjxjomi?

Xju ot zuas qsonesz datvunis? Fu vjiz eptxis taswizt?

Emuph vjuti mopit O fof dsievi e mudem xiffoph fosidvusz & qav e ceppis ef up ov cav puv nadj sitqupti – vseggod ot tvomm e cov mux vjuahj: jvvq://xxx.usephixiffophfosidvusz.dun.ea/ Ot vjev ep iyenqmi ug vji lopf ug vjoph zua’si vjoploph ug?

O vjopl ov't e huuf ofie -- vji iyidavoup ot suahj katv cideati ov't jesf vu pewohevi. Updi eheop og zua lpix xju zuas qsonesz datvunis xet zua xuamf lpux xjev raitvoupt vjiz muul gus epf zua xuamf devis vji tovi vu niiv vjios piift.

O edvaemmz teof vjev metv nupvj. Pu, tisouatmz, O fof. ;)

Jejeje O giim ze!

Piyv ot vji qsodi ug vjuti fenp cehimt!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom