The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buy to Rent Out & Rent Where You Live

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
Hello all,

I've been reading alot of articles lately that claim you should rent where you want to live and invest in properties to rent.

Personally, I think I trust the members here on the forums about this more than those who might have alterior motives.

So what's the concensus? Is it wise advice or malaligned?

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm saving to do exactly that. I can't judge yet, but there's a few people who have done it here and can attest it's a good financial move.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm quite pleased with my personal decision to do that, with a slight twist.

I bought my first 4 unit building in a different city last April, and it was quite a commute to operate my landscaping company - but it let me get into the real estate game, fix up some of the units in the building, and produce cashflow after monthly expenses.

Just a month ago, I bought a personal house with a workshop in the community where I want to live... Now I'm able to rent out the entire 4 unit apartment building, and just got my next 2 units under contract.

The idea of separating investment properties from your own primary residence (whether you decide to own or rent) is solid, because it allows you to optimize your investments for financial performance instead of personal quality of life. I wouldn't want to live full-time where my rentals are, but other people do, and I'm happy with the numbers.

I definitely recommend getting into the real estate game any way you can, and as you improve your own understanding of real estate, you can have a more nuanced perspective about what could work best for you. Good luck!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's a waste to rent where you live, but it is a good idea to own property to rent out.

Mortgages for your primary residence are some of the best deals you can get from a bank, ever. So not getting one is a waste. FHA, etc. You can get one for a live-in flip, or for a small multifamily like in the gold thread above.

That would be much smarter than renting an apartment and buying a separate investment property - you will have a much higher down payment on that one and probably higher interest too.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The advantage of renting your residence is it removes the Home-Depot-itis that comes with home ownership. If you buy a place to rent out, you'll only make improvements to it that make sense financially. In your own place, 'gosh, this $750 kitchen faucet sure does look nice...'

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hello all,

I've been reading alot of articles lately that claim you should rent where you want to live and invest in properties to rent.

Personally, I think I trust the members here on the forums about this more than those who might have alterior motives.

So what's the concensus? Is it wise advice or malaligned?

Cheers!
RE has been my business for the last 45 years. Owning residential rentals is a whole business model. It's plain and simple hard work for the person who manages his own properties -- or you can hire someone to do that work. It's not glamorous nor easy work.

As far as renting a personal dwelling -- that depends on what you want to do and how you want to live. It also depends on your personal resources and skills.

These are some questions:
Can you afford to buy a property?
Can you afford to buy small units?
Do you need a loan or can you pay all cash?
Can you do the rehab work yourself?
Or must you hire someone to perform that work?
Do you have the cash on hand to pay for any necessary rehab work and materials?
Can you live in a unit that is under construction?
How are you at mowing lawns, cleaning toilets, and picking up trash?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.