The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Buy to Rent Out & Rent Where You Live

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2015
Hello all,

I've been reading alot of articles lately that claim you should rent where you want to live and invest in properties to rent.

Personally, I think I trust the members here on the forums about this more than those who might have alterior motives.

So what's the concensus? Is it wise advice or malaligned?

Cheers!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 3, 2018

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm quite pleased with my personal decision to do that, with a slight twist.

I bought my first 4 unit building in a different city last April, and it was quite a commute to operate my landscaping company - but it let me get into the real estate game, fix up some of the units in the building, and produce cashflow after monthly expenses.

Just a month ago, I bought a personal house with a workshop in the community where I want to live... Now I'm able to rent out the entire 4 unit apartment building, and just got my next 2 units under contract.

The idea of separating investment properties from your own primary residence (whether you decide to own or rent) is solid, because it allows you to optimize your investments for financial performance instead of personal quality of life. I wouldn't want to live full-time where my rentals are, but other people do, and I'm happy with the numbers.

I definitely recommend getting into the real estate game any way you can, and as you improve your own understanding of real estate, you can have a more nuanced perspective about what could work best for you. Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
In 2016 when I was doing dropshipping (fairly successful at the time) and a very close friend of...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@Lyinx lol man, okay. Just to make it clear to everyone else, I'm not involved with...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock