The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here read The Boron Letters?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
First up, as the book relates to marketing, sales, and copywriting, I thought this sub-forum would be the most appropriate place to post this thread in (I wasn't sure which sub-forum to post this thread in).

I just have one question that's bugging me. I have no choice but to post this excerpt from the book so you can understand the question I'm asking. Since I obviously didn't ask for permission from the publisher to post this excerpt (I have no malintent), once the question is answered, I will remove the excerpt. It is very brief though.

I underlined the text that is causing the question.

---An Excerpt from Chapter 22---

Right now, it seems to me that I feel like outlining the steps to direct mail success so that's what I'm going to do.

Step 1 - Find a hot market (mailing list)
Step 2 - Find or create a product (preferably paper and ink) to sell to that market.
Step 3- Create a direct mail promotion that describes the product (or service) and the benefits of owning the same.
Step 4 - Make a test mailing (1,000 to 5,000 pieces)
Step 5 - Analyze results
Step 6 - If results are good, mail 20,000 to 100,000 more letters
Step 7 - If results are still good, start rolling out and taking care of business

---End of Excerpt---

My Question: If you read that chapter, what Mr. Halbert doesn't mention is that if you decide to sell a product that's not yours, don't you have to get permission and work out an agreement with the owner of that product, in order to make some money for yourself? The way he describes this direct mail process, leads me to believe that you can just take any product in the world, write a letter promoting it, and rake in money, even if the product is not yours.

It's right there in Step 2: Find or create a product (preferably paper and ink) to sell to that market.

If you create your own product, then you are free as you choose to write your own letters/advertising/copy, etc., in order to promote your product and benefit from the extra sales you make as a result.

But from what he is saying, he leads me to believe that you can take an existing product and promote it with a letter, and rake in cash. But he neglects to mention the "permission" part. If you promote something that's not yours, the product owner is simply going to make more money, but he has no clue that you are promoting it for him, so he has no obligation (especially since has no clue that you are doing it) to pay you.

I just want to know - Am I interpreting this correctly?

This may seem very obvious, but I'm really surprised that he neglects to mention getting permission from the product owner and coming to an agreement first, before promoting that particular product. You can't make money otherwise!

I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the logic. That's all.

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
First up, as the book relates to marketing, sales, and copywriting, I thought this sub-forum would be the most appropriate place to post this thread in (I wasn't sure which sub-forum to post this thread in).

I just have one question that's bugging me. I have no choice but to post this excerpt from the book so you can understand the question I'm asking. Since I obviously didn't ask for permission from the publisher to post this excerpt (I have no malintent), once the question is answered, I will remove the excerpt. It is very brief though.

I underlined the text that is causing the question.

---An Excerpt from Chapter 22---

Right now, it seems to me that I feel like outlining the steps to direct mail success so that's what I'm going to do.

Step 1 - Find a hot market (mailing list)
Step 2 - Find or create a product (preferably paper and ink) to sell to that market.
Step 3- Create a direct mail promotion that describes the product (or service) and the benefits of owning the same.
Step 4 - Make a test mailing (1,000 to 5,000 pieces)
Step 5 - Analyze results
Step 6 - If results are good, mail 20,000 to 100,000 more letters
Step 7 - If results are still good, start rolling out and taking care of business

---End of Excerpt---

My Question: If you read that chapter, what Mr. Halbert doesn't mention is that if you decide to sell a product that's not yours, don't you have to get permission and work out an agreement with the owner of that product, in order to make some money for yourself? The way he describes this direct mail process, leads me to believe that you can just take any product in the world, write a letter promoting it, and rake in money, even if the product is not yours.

It's right there in Step 2: Find or create a product (preferably paper and ink) to sell to that market.

If you create your own product, then you are free as you choose to write your own letters/advertising/copy, etc., in order to promote your product and benefit from the extra sales you make as a result.

But from what he is saying, he leads me to believe that you can take an existing product and promote it with a letter, and rake in cash. But he neglects to mention the "permission" part. If you promote something that's not yours, the product owner is simply going to make more money, but he has no clue that you are promoting it for him, so he has no obligation (especially since has no clue that you are doing it) to pay you.

I just want to know - Am I interpreting this correctly?

This may seem very obvious, but I'm really surprised that he neglects to mention getting permission from the product owner and coming to an agreement first, before promoting that particular product. You can't make money otherwise!

I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the logic. That's all.

Thanks for reading.

He is assuming that you own the product by either purchasing them in bulk or having a relationship with the product owner for profit share....(affiliate).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
He is assuming that you own the product by either purchasing them in bulk or having a relationship with the product owner for profit share....(affiliate).
Okay, thank you for clarifying Mr.Chaos. :) So I assumed right then. I just found it odd that he didn't mention those things.

Also, I was going to remove the excerpt after my question was answered, but it's also present in your quote. Is it really a big deal, or am I just getting paranoid over nothing? I read in the book that you're not supposed to post excerpts without express permission from the publisher (trying to avoid legal stuff).

Here's a 30 page copyrighting thread that goes deep into those letters. (If my memory serves me correctly.)

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group
Thank you MJ DeMarco. I'll check it out! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.