• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Any sex-toy developers? A long-shot I'm sure...

Discussion in 'Product Creation, Inventing, Importing, Sourcing' started by Calvert79, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    I'm Emma.

I "invented" (using that term loosely) a sex-toy related piece of equipment based on initially my need and then from doing some research I see there are other people with the same idea.

It's not so much a toy as an accompaniment - your mind is probably wondering WTF that is?

Anyway, I saw there's a sex-toy entrepreneur who managed to fund through indiegogo two or three major sex toys and he's obviously very successful.

He offers consult calls but my gut instinct was that telling a guy already successful in making toys about a toy might not be the smartest move.

Anyhow. I need this thing made. Don't even ask me what a 3D printer is because I haven't a clue. I don't know how to prototype - this is my next move research wise.

I'm sticking my hands right up here to say that I am doing everything all at once because a) I'm ignorant and b) I'm excited (not like that).

I have a name for my thing. I have a website (not built but reserved) and I have an instagram account.

WHAT'S THE DAMN QUESTION, EMMA???

I just wondered if anyone on here had experience or advice in this field - making a toy, not masturbation in general. Or any pointers as to prototype makers and developers?

Thanks in advance.

Emma

Primeperiwinkle, Roli, LaraJF and 9 others like this.
  2. RazorCut

RazorCut Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,108
    Seems to me you need to draw it out so that someone can create a 3D model (hire one on Upwork or Peopleperhour etc.) then send it to a 3D printing company (after discussing the physical qualities of the material you require)

Does it require any electrics?

Yeah probably not a smart move.

-

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  3. RazorCut

RazorCut Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,108
    Oh another alternative is to licence your idea for a royalty. Can potentially be more lucrative than trying to sell the item yourself if you find the right company to partner with.

Just google Stephen Key for info on that.

-

4. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Thanks! Luckily it doesn't require any electrics but in all honesty I've no idea how it really works because I'm not mechanically oriented shall we say.

I mean, I know how I wanted to work I just don't know how somebody would make that happen with plastic? Does that make sense?

And if you're up for a laugh let me see if I can attach a copy of my drawing so far ha ha ha

Attached Files:

Roli, LaraJF, Xeon and 3 others like this.
  5. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,415
    I know somebody who's into this business. If you're planning to manufacture in China, expect massive headaches with customs and inspection for every shipment. This makes it a high barrier to enter for competitors, but it's something you must deal with.

LaraJF, UnrealCreative, Xeon and 4 others like this.
  6. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Yeah, that's what I had initially wanted because I didn't know if I wanted to manufacture and distribute. don't you need a patent to license? Because I've decided to not go down that route.

RazorCut likes this.
  7. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    So your friend manufactures in China or uses an alternative?

What are the alternatives?

Xeon likes this.
  8. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $15,108
    OMG, maybe you need to get a friend who is a better artist to do the 2D sketches first. Does it come back if you throw it? lol

In answer to your question you don't usually need a patent if you go the licensing route so it is not an expensive process but does take work to research (to see if your idea is patentable and to find suitable companies to approach).

The benefit is once you have done a deal it becomes a passive income stream so allows you to move on to the next project unhindered.

The downside is you could *potentially* earn more money by manufacturing and distributing it yourself.

9. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Thanks for that, I didn't know I could do it without a patent. I really love the idea of licensing it out. Because I have another idea just right behind it haha.

I'm about to submit my idea (with a slightly better drawing) to a company. I f*cking HATED tech drawing at school :)

Xeon and RazorCut like this.
  10. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $15,108
  11. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Roli and RazorCut like this.
  12. Davejemmolly

Davejemmolly Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,066
    Is there a reason you are opposed to filing for a patent?

That seems to be one of the major advantages to creating a physical product, and offers both a legal and psychological barrier to someone directly copying your idea.

Seems a no brainer for mine! I’d love to be able to file for a patent in my business

Xeon likes this.
  13. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    From what I've read here (and in the book @RazorCut recommended above) it seems unnecessarily expensive and time consuming and costly to fight anyways.

Nigel B likes this.
  14. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The .45 longslide, with laser sighting. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,660
    Filing a provisional patent is a better route in most cases. If you do find a company to move forward with your product aka license with royalties. You can have the company itself pay for all of the patents during the agreement process. Or if they can't sell "X" amount in a quarter... You can take your product and go else where.

It has been a while since I have read One Simple Idea. So I may be wrong in some areas.

LaraJF, Nigel B, Woodsman81 and 2 others like this.
  15. Davejemmolly

Davejemmolly Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,066
    I’m no expert, and I’m sure there are many more qualified people than me on this forum, but I hold a different view.

For mine, the existence of a patent pending application on your design may act as a sufficient deterrent to potential other entrepreneurs looking to create a similar style product.

Hopefully the underlying fear of knowing that coping a patent pending may cost them any potential from the offending product, will divert them into another direction

Calvert79 likes this.
  16. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $15,108
    No, I think you are pretty spot on. The sales quota's would need to be agreed and in the contract as well of course. Emma really needs to read the book though.

17. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Emma is on chapter 2 already.

Presumably you could also put on your website that it is patent pending even if it isn't? Surely that would be a deterrent and nobody would go to the hassle of actually finding out whether that were the case? I could be wrong of course.

Roli and RazorCut like this.
  18. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $55,731
    Two steps. Then start talking to manufacturers and what it would cost to develop your product.

All sorts of weird sh*t at that trade show. I'm sure you'll find someone capable of creating your product, and they'll walk you through the steps and costs.

iizu, Greg R, B. Cole and 9 others like this.
  19. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Haha, looks interesting!

20. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $15,108
    A provisional patent isn't hard to do and is not expensive so you are better off doing it first.

-

21. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,415
    She's Chinese and a trader of Chinese sex toys. It's a hard product (no pun) in general, high return rates also. Pretty sure you will find alternatives, but perhaps it's still worth the headache to get them from China.

Xeon and Calvert79 like this.
  22. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Nice pun! Thank you for your input. To clarify it's more of a sex toy add on so there is that.

23. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The .45 longslide, with laser sighting. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,660
    [​IMG]

24. WJS

WJS Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,640
    @Calvert79 since your product doesn't require any electrical parts you should totally make a prototype yourself. It will be very useful for you whether you want to license it out to companies or produce it yourself in the future. At this stage you probably don't need to engage a 3D printer yet.

Check out InstaMorph (you can get it from Amazon at at a very cheap price). It's a plastic resin that turns into jello-like material in warm water and turns solid when it's cool. You might need to buy a few packets of them, depending on how big your product is. Mould it with your hands like how you would with clay, wait for it to cool, and voila, you have your crude prototype! You can make multiple different parts and glue them together, and paint them with colours or mix them with paint powders. Best of all, InstaMorph can be reshaped over and over again so it will come in very handy for you (pun not intended, lol)

B. Cole, TheCj, MoreVolume and 4 others like this.
  25. Sheens

Sheens Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $423
    This is great Emma! You can do this!!

Don't hesitate to make a mistake fast and then adapt to be further than you thought was even possible at the start! There are steps that require more time and diligence (prototyping, funding if that's an issue) but you have the drive to not let those hurdles stop you!

Xeon, LaraJF and Calvert79 like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.