• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Angel Investing

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by SteveO, May 13, 2018.

1. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $90,511
    @JScott . Do you have any quick pointers or places to go to learn more about this?

vinylawesome likes this.
  2. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,467
    There aren't a whole lot of resources out there that are better than just finding someone who does it, and taking them to lunch. Seriously...just talking to someone who does it for a living (I'm not in this category, btw) is worth more than any other resource I know about...

That said, if anyone is looking for a good place to start, I recommend Jason Calacanis' book:

https://www.amazon.com/Angel-Techno...id=1526327082&sr=8-3&keywords=angel+investing

I'm not a huge fan of Calacanis -- he's arrogant and much of his success came from working with Sequoia on a couple big deals that were probably as much being in the right place at the right time as anything else -- but it's a good book and provides some insight especially for those who are just starting out.

Sorry I don't have any better recommendations... I've been learning the industry through trial and error for a few years now, and still have a lot to learn...

SteveO likes this.
  3. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $90,511
    @JScott
    Do you think the average of returns would favor angel investing over non-performing note buying?

4. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,467
    There are too many variables to know what's a better investment -- certainly a great angel investment is going to outperform nearly any other investment you'll ever do. But, the biggest variable is risk tolerance...

The variance in angel investing is huge -- you could invest in 10 companies and lose all your money in all 10. On the other hand, if even one or two of those companies has a big exit (sale, IPO, merger, etc), you could make 100x your investment or more. So, it wouldn't be surprising to see a large negative return or to see a HUGE positive return.

On the other hand, investing in non-performing notes will likely generate a stream of income in the 10-40% range, and if you're smart, there's not a tremendous amount of risk or variance. You'll likely never get rich on a single investment (like you can with angel investing), but you'll likely also never lose all your money if you invest in at least a few assets.

Long story short, it will depend on your skills at each, and more importantly, it will depend on your risk tolerance and your ability to handle a total loss. I'd be comfortable investing 50% of my investment funds in notes, whereas I'd probably never invest more than 10% of my funds in angel investments. Just a lot more variance and risk (of course, also more potential reward).

journeyman and SteveO like this.
  5. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $167,312
    What about asking that dude on our Grand Canyon whitewater trip that said he was an angel investor and then later told me that he had to ask his wife if it was in their budget to feed their dog raw food?

jon.a and SteveO like this.
  6. journeyman

journeyman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $853
    In this podcast, Jason Calacanis interviews other successful angel investors. I've found it quite informative and enjoy listening to it.