The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice Wanted - Aggressive Daily Rude Awakening

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
I didn't want to make this one of my first posts, but I've felt that I've related more to the users of this forum already to most other places, so I'm coming here for some advice.

I stuck with two positive habits earlier this year:
Firstly, to wake up at 5 am each day.
Secondly, I head out and go for a long walk first thing with my earphones in and listen to an audiobook.

There's a homeless man on my route that's always asked me for change; I ONLY carry my phone, nothing else.

Now, I often donate to charities or offer coffees to the friendly homeless type. This guy, however, has always been the in-your-face type, aggressively asking for cash, he's also off his face on drugs when possible.

I still struggle to be generous with such people, especially when they call you a 'f**king c**t' for not lining their pockets. I feel this is a little bit too pushy as a sales tactic(!)

I NEVER carry cash on this walk, and he's only ever asked for 'change.' Today, I once again minded my own business, and by the time I'd realized, he was angrily walking aside me yelling 'HOW DARE YOU IGNORE ME?!'

Now, I approached the situation by once again explaining that I carry no change, and I have nothing to give him. He wouldn't accept this and once again threatened me before (eventually) leaving, followed by yelling random obscenities from down the road.

Since I know I'm going to pass him again soon, and my girlfriend often walks the same route alone, I'd like to see how you'd approach the situation.

He doesn't look particularly stable, and I've been approaching the situation with caution. I'd also prefer not to get stuck in a loop where I feel I should hand over a person - who has threatened me on a near-daily basis for a couple of weeks now - my cash each day.

Sorry for the long post, but any help and advice is hugely appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I like the Springfield XDE. It has a hammer and an external safety so you can choose to carry with the safety on or off, and with the hammer back or not. It also has an ambidextrous de-cocker as well as the safety and slide release. I like that as a lefty. Being a single-stack 9mm, it's ideal for concealed carry at only 1 inch wide.

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
I like the Springfield XDE. It has a hammer and an external safety so you can choose to carry with the safety on or off, and with the hammer back or not. It also has an ambidextrous de-cocker as well as the safety and slide release. I like that as a lefty. Being a single-stack 9mm, it's ideal for concealed carry at only 1 inch wide.

View attachment 29314

I have to admit; this certainly made me laugh.

I'm in the UK, and I'm not entirely sure that this would go down too well!

I’d call the cops. Panhandling is illegal around here.

Thank you. This option has been a consideration; however, with being in the UK, the Police are soft as hell. As far as he's most probably concerned, it's three guaranteed meals a day, shelter, and a bed every night!

I do think that it's most probably worth talking to them about, at least.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How does he act with others passing him? I would probably keep walking by and ignore him or be nice to him but not give him anything, and I'd carry some type of blunt object in case he goes crazy one day. I'd also get a video of him yelling at me for proof in case something happens.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
You pay taxes to pay for cops to deal with people that threaten you. Plus, it is illegal to deal with them yourselves. Stop by a police station and file a complaint that he harasses you everyday. Cops will probably watch him harass you (or send their own guy), then arrest him. Once they know who he is, he will leave you alone.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Can you find an alternate route? Response to Johnny Boy, nice piece. I would say ,"Don't worry about the gun, worry about the OWNER!"

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
How does he act with others passing him? I would probably keep walking by and ignore him or be nice to him but not give him anything, and I'd carry some type of blunt object in case he goes crazy one day. I'd also get a video of him yelling at me for proof in case something happens.

This happens at around 6-6:30am, so there aren't many people out at that time, which doesn't really make the situation any more ideal! The few times I have seen him, he basically just walks up to people, asks, then huffs and puffs and walks away.

I think I'll try the nice tactic one day and see how it goes.

I think it's the fact I've turned him down SO many times that he's getting increasingly frustrated, which is why I'd prefer to not escalate the situation.

You pay taxes to pay for cops to deal with people that threaten you. Plus, it is illegal to deal with them yourselves. Stop by a police station and file a complaint that he harasses you everyday. Cops will probably watch him harass you (or send their own guy), then arrest him. Once they know who he is, he will leave you alone.

This is true! I think that it has got to the point where I'll have to file a complaint now, to be honest.

I have no doubt they'll know who he is, to be honest.

It doesn't help that it happens so early in the day. If there was a cop nearby (in uniform anyway) he'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Can you find an alternate route? Response to Johnny Boy, nice piece. I would say ,"Don't worry about the gun, worry about the OWNER!"

To be honest, I quite like the route! It seems a bit of a shame that I would have to divert. It takes me from where I live to the sea, where I like to take my morning walk.

It's not really a set path where I could simply take the next one, it's what we class as a 'high street', and there's nothing that runs parallel to it without going WAY off track.

The walk is already around 90 minutes, I'd prefer not to extend it because of someone deciding I should. Especially this guy! :)

disarli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Dec 6, 2011
To be honest, I quite like the route! It seems a bit of a shame that I would have to divert. It takes me from where I live to the sea, where I like to take my morning walk.

It's not really a set path where I could simply take the next one, it's what we class as a 'high street', and there's nothing that runs parallel to it without going WAY off track.

Is there some reason you can't be on the other side of the street when you pass him? Or is he so aggressive that he crosses the street to confront everyone?

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I live in the middle of a city in Ireland so I can relate to your issues with aggressive begging and intoxicated homeless people. We can’t carry weapons so there is very little deterrent. I used to be walking home from work at 4-5am and be aggressively hassled for money or food. Including being grabbed and shoved. After about two days of this I became a lot more assertive and started being just as verbally abusive back & showed that I wasn’t afraid to fight if they continued. They ignore me whenever I see them now, they want to pick on easy targets who throw money at them to go away because they are scared. Loads of people do that I see it everyday.

NOTE: I have done BJJ & Muay Thai so I’m comfortable enough defusing situations. Obviously be careful if you try using this approach as anyone could be carrying a knife or insane mentally. I only used this approach after getting a better feel for the situation after two days of their transgressions.

Last edited:

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
The problem with the homeless is they have nothing, so they have nothing to lose. So they can be as pushy as they want as they know nothing of any consequence will happen to them. They really should get into used car sales (tongue in cheek). LOL! My apologies to the legitimate and decent auto sales people.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This is true! I think that it has got to the point where I'll have to file a complaint now, to be honest.

I have no doubt they'll know who he is, to be honest.

It doesn't help that it happens so early in the day. If there was a cop nearby (in uniform anyway) he'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Stop by the police station and ask them what to do, or call them. It's not your job to figure out how to handle a panhandler. Cops want taxpayers around, not people that chase away taxpayers.

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
Is there some reason you can't be on the other side of the street when you pass him? Or is he so aggressive that he crosses the street to confront everyone?

It's essentially a large, long open space. He's free-roaming around the place, up and down.

I live in the middle of a city in Ireland so I can relate to your issues with aggressive begging and intoxicated homeless people. We can’t carry weapons so there is very little deterrent. I used to be walking home from work at 4-5am and be aggressively hassled for money or food. Including being grabbed and shoved. After about two days of this I became a lot more assertive and started being just as verbally abusive back & showed that I wasn’t afraid to fight if they continued. They ignore me whenever I see them now, they want to pick on easy targets who throw money at them to go away because they are scared. Loads of people do that I see it everyday.

NOTE: I have done BJJ & Muay Thai so I’m comfortable enough defusing situations. Obviously be careful if you try using this approach as anyone could be carrying a knife or insane mentally. I only used this approach after getting a better feel for the situation after two days of their transgressions.

That doesn't sound very pleasant!

I've not been touched by him yet, but I think I'd lose my cool pretty quickly if he escalated it to that point. I can't imagine being grabbed and shoved, madness!

I saw him this morning and although he wasn't very close, there was no shouting/aggressiveness, so I'm hoping he's calmed down a little bit.

Knives/needles/whatever else he can get his hand on are my main concern. Things can go haywire very quickly.

I appreciate the advice though, sorry to hear that you've had a similar story.

I lived in Melbourne and Sydney for a while and all the homeless are on meth and shit, crazy folk. Like something out of the zombie movie 28 days later.

That sounds awful, but the good thing when they're that far gone is that you can generally outpace them if things go wrong! :happy:

The problem with the homeless is they have nothing, so they have nothing to lose. So they can be as pushy as they want as they know nothing of any consequence will happen to them. They really should get into used car sales (tongue in cheek). LOL! My apologies to the legitimate and decent auto sales people.

This is my main fear, to be honest. On the day where he was particularly aggressive, I was looking at him and I could just see in his eyes that all of his stress was created over some loose change.

It's awfully sad, really.

Learn useful martial arts like Muay Thai and BJJ. You will probably need them at some point.

I have to admit, I've never really thought about doing this, but I think it could be a handy thing to learn. How many hours would you expect to put in to be at a reasonable level?

Stop by the police station and ask them what to do, or call them. It's not your job to figure out how to handle a panhandler. Cops want taxpayers around, not people that chase away taxpayers.

Valid point, thank you.

It's you or him. Either turn him in, or deal with it.

Thanks!

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018
I have to admit, I've never really thought about doing this, but I think it could be a handy thing to learn. How many hours would you expect to put in?

Thanks!

2 to 3 hours a week.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.