The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Accent Barrier in Business

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi guys,

I didn't know how to properly start this thread, but I'll do my best in honestly explaining my current situation:

14-22 Worked my a$$ off in Hospitality and Recruitment industries in Ireland. My English was fluent, I was great communicator and according to numerous people significantly persuasive.

22-23 First business venture flipped badly, causing huge financial damage and killing my confidence. This was the moment when a dominant domino piece fell off and initiated a chain reaction that caused me severe depression that lasted for a few years.

23-25 Spent two years doing nothing. Was stuck in a victim mentality and didn't pursue anything. It was two years of sorrow, depression, isolation and daily psychological agony. As a consequence of interacting only with family members whom speak Lithuanian, my English started to deteriorate. More and more English speaking people started asking me to repeat myself when I called them and soon I began hating calls altogether; even calling a GP to make an appointment became a challenge. So, for the most part of those two years, I didn't really have a proper chance to interact with English speakers and my confidence regarding my English speaking skills had gone.

Current Situation: I've finally begun crawling out of my shadow. I'd like to give myself a chance to launch another business. I've tested a market - demand is HUGE. I've created a website - Looks professional and is easy to use. I've pretty much everything ready to roll, except...

... I still suck at speaking English. As mentioned previously, I didn't have a chance to properly recover my English speaking skills as I have just started crawling out of my shadow.

This business is in a national niche nobody is yet aware of, therefore there's no direct competition. This is one of the reasons why I think I have a fair chance of dominating it and putting my brand into customers minds. But... I don't want to mess my chances up because of my current language barrier.

What would you advice someone in above-mentioned situation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Make more calls - get better as you call. Experience will fix the problem.

Hire someone - if it's an untapped niche with good profit potential, hire a fluent salesman.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I've tested a market - demand is HUGE

When you tested the market did anyone care about your accent?

I know being an English speaker I'll never truly appreciate the accent barrier (though being an Australian living in America often requires my girlfriend to translate for me) I feel like people aren't going to care about how you pronounce words if you're solving their problem/providing the value you suggest that you'll be able to.

Sure, there will be times where it's an obstacle, e.g. copy writing or sales calls, but there are a surplus of English-native freelancers out there.

All up, yes acknowledge it might be a hurdle at times but don't let it be a self-imposed barrier. If what you're providing is wanted no one's gonna care about your accent. Go get it!

P.S. From reading your posts, I wouldn't know English is your second language!

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Thanks for your input folks!

Garbera

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
Jan 31, 2017
UK
I can relate as English is not my native language and I only knew basics like a year ago : D

still struggle with accent though but it's much better

"So, for the most part of those two years, I didn't really have a proper chance to interact with English speakers and my confidence regarding my English speaking skills had gone."

Interact with English speakers

And I agree with @SYK, if you have a great product then people won't really care about your accent

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I understand that calling and in-person meetings is generally more effective, but your written English is fantastic and I did not realize that you were not a native English speaker until this thread.

Point being: can you get started virtually?

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I understand that calling and in-person meetings is generally more effective, but your written English is fantastic and I did not realize that you were not a native English speaker until this thread.

Point being: can you get started virtually?

Thanks for a compliment regarding my English writing.

No, I must face my demon and pick up a damn phone. It can't be done virtually. Good thing is that I'll receive calls from customers who looked for a solution and found out that I am the only one providing it. So, in essence, I won't be making any calls, but closing customers who are already interested in my offer.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I have a couple questions.

What is your native tongue?

Where will you be conducting business? Ireland?

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I have a couple questions.

What is your native tongue?

Where will you be conducting business? Ireland?

My native tongue is Lithuanian - small Baltic state.

Yes, in Ireland.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.