The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A $1,200 Expense Almost Broke Me 5 years ago, now - not really (funny)

Anything related to matters of the mind

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Thought I'd share some humor on a Friday.

In early 2015, I was 24 years old - a bit of a loser. Stuck in a slowlane job, smoking weed in my basement to avoid thinking about it, ignoring calls from collectors, etc.

Around that time, I went in to get my license renewed, and was surprised to find out I had $1,200 in tickets. I pulled out my wallet and used up the last of my savings to pay, with no clue how to make the next 2 weeks work, and then was forced to take the new photo for my license (see below).

LEGIT the WORST photo I've ever taken in my life and I had to live with it for 4 years. I look like I have a gun to my head. My friends made fun of me for years because every time we went to a club the door girls would have to scan it.

ANYWAY - Today I went in to renew my license, and guess what? $1,200 in tickets. Honestly - it still sucked but it was really inconsequential, my software business will make that back in two days.

Money isn't really a big deal to me - it's not the point of the story, but freedom is. I recall this was one of the events shortly before I became an entrepreneur that really pushed me to think "I don't ever want to be one X from being broke", and this dumbass photo always served as a reminder. I should have it framed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick T

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Aug 26, 2020
Thought I'd share some humor on a Friday.

In early 2015, I was 24 years old - a bit of a loser. Stuck in a slowlane job, smoking weed in my basement to avoid thinking about it, ignoring calls from collectors, etc.

Around that time, I went in to get my license renewed, and was surprised to find out I had $1,200 in tickets. I pulled out my wallet and used up the last of my savings to pay, with no clue how to make the next 2 weeks work, and then was forced to take the new photo for my license (see below).

LEGIT the WORST photo I've ever taken in my life and I had to live with it for 4 years. I look like I have a gun to my head. My friends made fun of me for years because every time we went to a club the door girls would have to scan it.
View attachment 34651

ANYWAY - Today I went in to renew my license, and guess what? $1,200 in tickets. Honestly - it still sucked but it was really inconsequential, my software business will make that back in two days.

Money isn't really a big deal to me - it's not the point of the story, but freedom is. I recall this was one of the events shortly before I became an entrepreneur that really pushed me to think "I don't ever want to be one X from being broke", and this dumbass photo always served as a reminder. I should have it framed.

How do you keep racking up $1200 in tickets you do not know about?

Thanks for sharing your story on here ... the wins and the lessons. Some good stuff man!

Last edited:

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
How do you keep racking up $1200 in tickets you do not know about?

Thanks for sharing your story on here ... the wins and the lessons. Some good stuff man!

Just a coincidence. I havent gotten any tickets since 2014 when I moved to a new part of the city and didn't change over my license address where they mail tickets to. This year I bought a house and there is a trap right outside my neighbourhood where I got 3 in one week and then a couple more since

In my city, photo radar is a huge cash grab. Basically there are hidden cameras EVERYWHERE and always in the same spots where you may not notice you're going a few mph over.

Nick T

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Aug 26, 2020
Just a coincidence. I havent gotten any tickets since 2014 when I moved to a new part of the city and didn't change over my license address where they mail tickets to. This year I bought a house and there is a trap right outside my neighbourhood where I got 3 in one week and then a couple more since

In my city, photo radar is a huge cash grab. Basically there are hidden cameras EVERYWHERE and always in the same spots where you may not notice you're going a few mph over.

Ahh that makes... what a pain. Way to see the coincidence and be grateful. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

The secret to these is "ticket lawyers," at least if the tickets are a big enough deal. For $100 a ticket lawyer can get most tickets thrown out. A few you might have to pay some court "adjudication cost." Either way, they don't record points on your license. At least... that's how it works where I am. Here if you get too many points on the license they can suspend it, so it's worth it for that alone.

StillGrindin'

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 19, 2018
Toronto Canada

The only time I have ever been to Edmonton, I got a photo radar ticket. Three lane road (six wide), as wide open as day. I drove 79km/h thinking I was in a 70, turned out it was a 60. Didn't find out until it was too late. $230 ticket for 19 over lol. Calgary was easy to navigate the photo radar, but Edmonton felt like a never-ending speed trap designed to squeeze every dollar out of you.

At least Whyte Ave + West Edmonton was fun.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.