The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

20yo college student running "own window cleaning biz" on weekends

bStill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Aug 31, 2023
I probably run a "business" on the "dead" side and want to be more ethical.

Hello all, I'm a 20yo male. 3rd year computer science major.

I made a decision before reading unscripted to complete college. I'm all As, and I really like work and education in the field. I've been learning and practicing business during the summer. I knock doors selling window cleaning, and hire people off of craigslist to do the work with my equipment as I drive them around on weekends. About 1/4 customers are unhappy with the work and my worker redoes it. It's quite volatile, and trades my time for money linearly, but it makes about 50/hr net on average. I finished my second summer doing this to pay for food, housing, and school.

I'm looking forward to get better business experience, make a decision of finishing my degree, and test fastlane business ideas with the veterans. Thanks ya'll

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Imagine 25% weren't unhappy and instead of re-doing a job they were on the next one.

Dan

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
50/hr is still pretty good, considering that you arent doing the work and just driving your workers around.

How can you improve your service? How can it be more valuable that you can charge more?

Offer more services, hire and train better employees, target different areas of your city, use better equipment? Its all trial and error to see what will work best and improve your business.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Congratulations! Actually, you are quite similar about half of the general contractors in the construction industry - hiring cheap subcontractors and beating them down on payment, herding them like cats to do good work while hoping the clients don’t notice their shortcomings, and chasing them back out to the job to do it over when a client does notice shoddy work. It’s not a business model that I would find psychologically sustainable, but it’s not as unethical as you think it is. Here you are, a college “kid” (sounds like you’re more mature than a large share of “adults”) who is pulling his weight and paying his way. You will do well as you go forward.

Is there any way to establish continuing relationships with some of the more diligent Craigslist workers and upgrade your workforce? You could provide them more regular work while improving productivity and reducing stress levels.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...