The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where do I go from here?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
What's up FLF

This is a journal of sorts that I'll use as a way to document my efforts over the coming weeks/months/ years on the process of getting my life together and turning my dreams into reality

I've done action faking, I've read books, I've started projects, I've given up, I've failed, I've started again Yada yada yada...most of you know the score.

The reason I want to put this into ether of the forum is because it’s beneficial to seek out wisdom from people who are in a position you'd like to see yourself in and I currently have no other direct access to business owners and successful entrepreneurs. So it only makes sense to come here really.

I’ll give a bit of background:

I’m 27 turning 28 this year.
I work in a bank as an inbound fraud agent.
I have moved back into my old room in my mums flat (I thinks that’s an apartment for you Americans here)

January 2022 I started a pressure washing business/side hustle while I was full time work at the bank and I was also in the midst of buying my first house with my gf of 7 years at the time.

Over the next few months up till when we purchased the house in May 2022 I had won PW work sporadically which helped keep the bank topped up a little

We moved into our new house in June 2022 and it was a struggle as my partner (now ex) wasn’t working due to bad mental health so I offered to support her on a measly single salary of £1600 plus the little extra I’d earn from pressure washing whilst paying all the bills for the house, giving her money for fuel and to live lol

Not only did we have this to contend with but we moved over an hour away from any family into one of the most boring towns counties in the UK - Ipswich.

Money was very very tight, to the point that I’d only have £15 A MONTH left over as “disposable income” haha.

During this time we were also dipping into our savings so we could redecorate the house.

Many a night was spent on a mattress in the living room / or bedroom with a sheet to keep us warm while we worked tirelessly to decorate the property.

On top of this, my bank job was back in my home town so having to travel to and fro daily was taking its toll on me too ( scraping wall paper till 2am and getting up at 6 to drive to work in a different county is not fun )

A few times I’d actually catch myself falling asleep behind the wheel

The pressures of daily life got to me and I went sick at work because life was miserable. My ex and I were further apart that we’d ever been in our relationship, the decorating was taking its toll, the lack of money and so forth.

We initially broke up at this time which was around July 2022 but still during this time I was trying to do everything and still grow the pressure washing business.

I’d recently decided to offer carpet cleaning alongside domestic cleaning services and would get leads on my website and then pass the work on to a subcontractor which I would take 20% of the job price for my fee

Anyway towards end of July we get back together and I managed to get a lot of decorating done which was good and was now working remotely from home after my sick period ended.

So I’m thinking about growing the biz and picturing adding other services like window cleaning ( just really trying to see what services work well and then I could go all in on that )

This period was short lived though.

We ended up breaking up in September 2022 and I go into the most depressive rut I’ve ever experienced in my life.

I was an absolute shadow of a man. I started drinking way more and had to take more time
off work because I went in one day and nearly broke down haha!

I was off for the next 2 months which takes us through October 2022 and November 2022 to December.

During this time I’ve moved back home into my old room in my mums flat, I’ve drunk a lot, I’ve stopped the business altogether, been going out with friends, started taking tablets for depression, spoken to therapists and basically tried to just not end life right there.

I’ve managed to get the basics of my life together and my performance at work has been the best it’s been in 2 years lol but it’s a dead end job for slowlaners

My van has just broken down and luckily I’m using my mums car to get to work (extremely grateful)

I’m still paying half the bills at the house because it’s been on the market since December

It looks like I’m money getting tight because I owe money to a debt agency of £189 lol which I will pay but I’ve now also got to get my van fixed (if possible) and my money is getting LOW

Now boys and girls. I am aware that some of you have dealt with WAY WORSE. This is just the shittest my adult life has been

This is not a cry for help, this is just me stating facts and I also taking note that I HAVE to take responsibility and fix this.

I think first things first. I have to go basic.

I need to decide what I want in the next 10/5/1 years because I realised yesterday, if someone asked me what my plan was, I wouldn’t have one!

After I’ve made my goals I’ll workout what needs to be done to achieve them

I’ll update here as and when this is done but I did find trying to envision my 10 year dream goal was HARD and my brain simply wasn’t conjuring anything.

I’ll continue to envision my dream life and I’d like that by tomorrow night I’ll have something I can write down here.

After that the execution begins

Also I’ll update lessons learned over the last year because we’ll there defintley been a few

Here’s to starting over again

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cubangreyfox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 9, 2023
Miami
What's up FLF

This is a journal of sorts that I'll use as a way to document my efforts over the coming weeks/months/ years on the process of getting my life together and turning my dreams into reality

I've done action faking, I've read books, I've started projects, I've given up, I've failed, I've started again Yada yada yada...most of you know the score.

The reason I want to put this into ether of the forum is because it’s beneficial to seek out wisdom from people who are in a position you'd like to see yourself in and I currently have no other direct access to business owners and successful entrepreneurs. So it only makes sense to come here really.

I have moved back into my old room in my mums flat (I thinks that’s an apartment for you Americans here)

January 2022 I started a pressure washing business/side hustle while I was full time work at the bank and I was also in the midst of buying my first house with my gf of 7 years at the time.

Over the next few months up till when we purchased the house in May 2022 I had won PW work sporadically which helped keep the bank topped up a little

We moved into our new house in June 2022 and it was a struggle as my partner (now ex) wasn’t working due to bad mental health so I offered to support her on a measly single salary of £1600 plus the little extra I’d earn from pressure washing whilst paying all the bills for the house, giving her money for fuel and to live lol

Not only did we have this to contend with but we moved over an hour away from any family into one of the most boring towns counties in the UK - Ipswich.

Money was very very tight, to the point that I’d only have £15 A MONTH left over as “disposable income” haha.

During this time we were also dipping into our savings so we could redecorate the house.

Many a night was spent on a mattress in the living room / or bedroom with a sheet to keep us warm while we worked tirelessly to decorate the property.

On top of this, my bank job was back in my home town so having to travel to and fro daily was taking its toll on me too ( scraping wall paper till 2am and getting up at 6 to drive to work in a different county is not fun )

The pressures of daily life got to me and I went sick at work because life was miserable. My ex and I were further apart that we’d ever been in our relationship, the decorating was taking its toll, the lack of money and so forth.

We initially broke up at this time which was around July 2022 but still during this time I was trying to do everything and still grow the pressure washing business.

I’d recently decided to offer carpet cleaning alongside domestic cleaning services and would get leads on my website and then pass the work on to a subcontractor which I would take 20% of the job price for my fee

Anyway towards end of July we get back together and I managed to get a lot of decorating done which was good and was now working remotely from home after my sick period ended.

So I’m thinking about growing the biz and picturing adding other services like window cleaning ( just really trying to see what services work well and then I could go all in on that )

We ended up breaking up in September 2022 and I go into the most depressive rut I’ve ever experienced in my life.

I was an absolute shadow of a man. I started drinking way more and had to take more time

I was off for the next 2 months which takes us through October 2022 and November 2022 to December.

During this time I’ve moved back home into my old room in my mums flat, I’ve drunk a lot, I’ve stopped the business altogether, been going out with friends, started taking tablets for depression, spoken to therapists and basically tried to just not end life right there.

I’ve managed to get the basics of my life together and my performance at work has been the best it’s been in 2 years lol but it’s a dead end job for slowlaners

My van has just broken down and luckily I’m using my mums car to get to work (extremely grateful)

I’m still paying half the bills at the house because it’s been on the market since December

It looks like I’m money getting tight because I owe money to a debt agency of £189 lol which I will pay but I’ve now also got to get my van fixed (if possible) and my money is getting LOW

Now boys and girls. I am aware that some of you have dealt with WAY WORSE. This is just the shittest my adult life has been

This is not a cry for help, this is just me stating facts and I also taking note that I HAVE to take responsibility and fix this.

I need to decide what I want in the next 10/5/1 years because I realised yesterday, if someone asked me what my plan was, I wouldn’t have one!

I’ll update here as and when this is done but I did find trying to envision my 10 year dream goal was HARD and my brain simply wasn’t conjuring anything.

I’ll continue to envision my dream life and I’d like that by tomorrow night I’ll have something I can write down here.

Also I’ll update lessons learned over the last year because we’ll there defintley been a few

Hello Mate,
I may not have much to contribute at the moment, but I want to say your post inspired me. I admire your perseverance to keep going even when everything seems to be going wrong. It takes courage to make a post about all the shit you're going through. I just started the journey myself and I hope to have the same conviction you have when shit goes wrong. Your post shows you're not afraid of putting in the work so I truly wish you success. I look forward to what comes next from you. Hang in there.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
What's up FLF

Wow. Buying a house and supporting a jobless partner, while traveling long distance to work and building a business at the same time.

It seems that you stretched yourself too much. Review your personal finance. Rent/Sell the apartment that you do not need. Driver a few Uber trips after work to grab some cash. Focus on your health. Focus on being cashflow positive first.

I would say slow done the business first and get cash and health in good order first. Take one step at a time.

Your health and cashflow set the good foundation for the business. It is all interlinked.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Hello Mate,
I may not have much to contribute at the moment, but I want to say your post inspired me. I admire your perseverance to keep going even when everything seems to be going wrong. It takes courage to make a post about all the shit you're going through. I just started the journey myself and I hope to have the same conviction you have when shit goes wrong. Your post shows you're not afraid of putting in the work so I truly wish you success. I look forward to what comes next from you. Hang in there.
Hi Mate,

Glad it inspired you, can't say its the most positive post but nonetheless there is nothing wrong with some inspo!

Yeah to be fair, it feels liberating writing about it but it doesn't really translate into serious actions. Yet.

Thank you for wishing the success. I'll let you know when I feel successful haha

cubangreyfox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 9, 2023
Miami
Hi Mate,

Glad it inspired you, can't say its the most positive post but nonetheless there is nothing wrong with some inspo!

Yeah to be fair, it feels liberating writing about it but it doesn't really translate into serious actions. Yet.

Thank you for wishing the success. I'll let you know when I feel successful haha
Take it one step at a time bro

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Wow. Buying a house and supporting a jobless partner, while traveling long distance to work and building a business at the same time.

It seems that you stretched yourself too much. Review your personal finance. Rent/Sell the apartment that you do not need. Driver a few Uber trips after work to grab some cash. Focus on your health. Focus on being cashflow positive first.

I would say slow done the business first and get cash and health in good order first. Take one step at a time.

Your health and cashflow set the good foundation for the business. It is all interlinked.
You are 100% correct. I wouldn't call it burnout because from what I read burnout is way worse than what I experienced but still maybe something similar.

Health and cashflow is what I am going to focus on now. Had an offer yesterday to go down the pub with some friends but I've done that before, so I went to the gym hit some PB's and got home and relaxed and slept.
Moving On...

I've made progress on my 1/5/10 Planasy

I've deemed my escape number to be £15,000,000.

£10m invested in a way that produces yearly 5% returns as cashflow (if possible).
£3.5 set up to invest into other businesses
£1.5 in the bank

I'm now thinking about what I would like my life to look like in 10 years.

This is taking longer than I thought. Turns out my imagination is terrible and it's probably because I allowed myself to be sucked into this matrix and let society think for me for so long.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K

You are 100% correct. I wouldn't call it burnout because from what I read burnout is way worse than what I experienced but still maybe something similar.

Health and cashflow is what I am going to focus on now. Had an offer yesterday to go down the pub with some friends but I've done that before, so I went to the gym hit some PB's and got home and relaxed and slept.
Moving On...

I've made progress on my 1/5/10 Planasy

I've deemed my escape number to be £15,000,000.

£10m invested in a way that produces yearly 5% returns as cashflow (if possible).
£3.5 set up to invest into other businesses
£1.5 in the bank

I'm now thinking about what I would like my life to look like in 10 years but having trouble painting a picture of everything else I want in my life at that time.

Once ive got that, I'll update again.

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 18, 2021
England
Your only 28 so if your start now you will be 38 and a millionaire in ten years. Back at your mums and your bedroom is perfect for you, living basic and as low cost as you can. Health is your number one thing to work on, without health you can’t do anything. Drop the pills and get out and exercise every day. 2 mile walk first thing in the morning costs nothing. Get your 10 year plan worked out. Start at the back and write the date 12/02/2033 look on right move at million pounds houses and pick the one you like and print off. Look at auto trader for your cars and print off the ones you want to own. Start you own business Pressure washing, lawn cutting, basic diy jobs, office cleaning. Get a round going and expand.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Its been over 7 months since I posted on this forum.

Things have panned out pretty well when looking back.

- Made and saved more money than I've done before
- Been on a short break away in Portugal
- Have made a move out of my foundational job towards to specialized labor/skill

The last point is very important as its been bothering me for years. I happened to watch MJ's video on going from flat broke to filthy rich and something clicked.

I have always been thinking about the end goal (event focused), which is a good reason to remind yourself why you're doing something however thinking about it obscures you from what needs to be done next in the process.

My next step and my focus is to move from the office based work to a trade skill. I've put myself on a plastering course due to start in January worth around 2.6k, minus the deposit paid.

Other things that will be occurring in the next few months:

Sale of property
finding new accommodation
visiting a few other countries

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Update:

I'll now be starting the plastering course in Mid November and this gives me a deadline to purchase a van of which I've been looking out for anyway. Didn't seem like there was any point waiting till Jan to get started if I've got the ability to do it sooner

This means I'll be handing in my 1 month notice in 2 weeks time.

Once I've learned the basic skills, I'll get to work on my own property and give it a fresh new look hopefully increasing the value of it which would be handy when its time to sell in a couple months.

I'll be able to use the work I do on my house as part of my portfolio too - this would contribute towards my NVQ qualification which you can only get after doing real work. This will also help in getting employment so I get further experience while being paid and then I could go out and set up my own firm self employed; Don't need to even be concerned about this now as all that matters is what needs to be down now.

To do list -

Buy a clean van in great working condition
Hand in notice
Start course
Complete course
Work on my own home
Review situation
Find work

My stairway to wealth is coming together and it'll take as long as it takes. Process > event

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
To do list -

Hand in notice
Buy a clean van in great working condition - looking to complete by end of the next
Start course
Complete course
Work on my own home
Review situation
Find work

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
To do list -

Hand in notice
Buy a clean van in great working condition - looking to complete by end of the next
(Edit: bought a car instead)
Start course
Complete course
Work on my own home
Review situation
Find work

Bought a car instead, worked out to to be a better move as its getting more expensive to drive vans in and around the london area at the moment and the car is actually the first nice/fun thing I've had probably in my whole adult life.

Got a BMW 320i M sport shadow edition it's bit impulsive but, gotta live a little!

Lou7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 10, 2023
What's up FLF

First of all, keep going man. You will make it!!

The unusual things that helped me with my depression and anxiety (maybe it can help you):

- I stopped taking coffee. I am naturally energetic and don't need it. Coffee would make me anxious
- meditation (10 min a day)
- really intense aerobic and exercise
- playing and composing with my guitar
- changing my values and actively thinking about what I can be grateful for

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
By the end of tomorrow I'll be unemployed and will be starting my course on Monday 20/11/23.

I'm excited about it and just want to crack on. It feels like this is a tipping point (one of many) in my life, a step further in the right direction.

The important of continuing to educate yourself through adulthood is apparent and I'm grateful that I'm doing such a thing.

I have confidence this is all going to work out but I don't know in what way as things jut unfold as they do.

Roughly a year ago I felt f*cked. I thought life was terrible and that I was ruined financially and in pretty much most aspects of my life but I was wrong. I have shown myself through my own perseverance that I just keep on keeping on.

There has been a mindset shift within me and when I go back and read posts in this forum I realize I really understand what the poster was saying whereas before I "thought" I understood.

The experience over the last year has taught me again that its a process and you cant escape change - better to go with the flow of change than resist it

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
To do list -

Hand in notice
Start course
Complete course
Work on my own home
Review situation
Find work

Bought a car instead, worked out to to be a better move as its getting more expensive to drive vans in and around the london area at the moment and the car is actually the first nice/fun thing I've had probably in my whole adult life.

Got a BMW 320i M sport shadow edition it's bit impulsive but, gotta live a little!

Course started and nearing completion

Continuous progress has been made

My new obstacle to solve has been finding a partner and now the potential to move country to be with her and as she’s moved from England to Ireland

So I will have to figure a way of establishing an income where I can be independent of location

So how do I turn what I’ve learned into an income that I can do in England or Ireland

The method these days seems to be learn a skill then teach it to others

I’m england there is a lack of good training centres for plasterers and there is a lack of quality plasterers in england

At first glance it seems to be similar in ireland

A huge difference is the population of Ireland is significantly smaller being around 8 million compared to Englands 64 million people

How can I set my self up to serve customers in a wide pool.

Somehow ill have to utilise the internet which with my brain is use social media to establish an income stream via YouTube and tiktok but with what sort of content?

I’m probably not asking the right questions or even posing the problem to myself correctly

I’ll work on this then figure it out

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Update

Hand in notice

Start course
Complete course

Sell car
Buy van
Work on my own home (in progress)
Review situation
Find work

I’ve been relaxing hard in between the culmination of each of these tasks.

I’m not going to look for employment with another plaster, learn more of the ropes then go out on my own.

Once I’m working myself I can be hitting 250+ a day

So I’ll be at level 2 in the wealth equation skilled job money,

Next it’s how to get this run as a business so I’m liking looking at moving into a content based money tree and focusing on providing content to people looking to make career changes as offices worked into to trades person and how they would go about doing that along with a host of entertaining vids

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Update

Hand in notice

Start course
Complete course

Sell car
Buy van
Work on my own home (in progress)
Review situation
Find work

I’ve been relaxing hard in between the culmination of each of these tasks.

I’m not going to look for employment with another plaster, learn more of the ropes then go out on my own.

Once I’m working myself I can be hitting 250+ a day

So I’ll be at level 2 in the wealth equation skilled job money,

Next it’s how to get this run as a business so I’m liking looking at moving into a content based money tree and focusing on providing content to people looking to make career changes as offices worked into to trades person and how they would go about doing that along with a host of entertaining vids
Be F*cking awesome if I can sell the car tomorrow, then it’s just pay off my finance and get a van and we’re in business baby

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
I’ve been looking to get under the wing of a local plasterer and it looks like I’ve got someone to take me on.

The goal is to get more experience with this guy and pick up as much as possible while getting paid and where I can get work for my own portfolio.

This is probably slow progress but it’s better than nothing and I don’t want to go back into an office job.

I have also been looking at local plasterers and i think there is certainly room to skew value on the competition.

They usually have poor websites, mediocre
photos and I don’t see many utilising Google ads.

Having spoken to my plastering trainer on my
Course he had told me he’s never used them and couldn’t see why to either.

I can’t say whether this is fastlane but this was all about making a move from a foundational job to better paid skill.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
sooo… the plasterer didn’t turnout to be anything however i got in with a guy that has a company that installs microcement for high end clients

I’m just labouring at the moment learning the tools and how to do things.

This actually satisfies one of my values in life - learning and I enjoy the work.

I’m listening to opportunity at the moment and it seems that 1 company has a hold on the microcement industry in the UK at the moment and installers like my boss would like to be able to get more leads that don’t come through this manufacturer as it means they can’t use any other cheaper microcement products that could increase their profits.

Essentially, these installers need to be able to get more leads directly to them.

Might have to make another thread about this and decide my options

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.