The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Search Inside Yourself - Best Book on Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence

For any book discussion

Will Bauer

Either you run the day or the day runs you.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
I really had to share this book with you.

This is the best non-fiction book I've read in long while from a former top employee of Google.

Straight to the point without any esoteric BS, very scientific and yet still fun to read.

Of course just reading is nice but the daily practice make the difference. (Guess you heard that somewhere else as well ;)

But even if you just read the book, it will make a difference to you life.

Here is the description from Amazon:

With Search Inside Yourself, Chade-Meng Tan, one of Google’s earliest engineers and personal growth pioneer, offers a proven method for enhancing mindfulness and emotional intelligence in life and work.

Meng’s job is to teach Google’s best and brightest how to apply mindfulness techniques in the office and beyond; now, readers everywhere can get INSIDERS access to one of the most sought after classes in the country, a course in health, happiness and creativity that is improving the livelihood and productivity of those responsible for one of the most successful businesses in the world.

With forewords by Daniel Goleman, author of the international bestseller Emotional Intelligence, and Jon Kabat-Zinn, renowned mindfulness expert and author of Coming To Our Senses, Meng’s Search Inside Yourself is an invaluable guide to achieving your own best potential.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Will Bauer

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
What are some of the golden nuggets you found from this book?

Thank you for asking!

One really big insight from the book was:

We're are not our emotions and emotions are basically physical expressions of your body.

-> Don't say "I am angry" but I feel anger in my stomach. With practice you will find this get's easier and you will make better decisions if you are triggered by some external event.

Beside that there were awesome techniques teaching mindfulness:

For example: the SiBeriean North RailRoad:

If you're triggered by something (like your boss tells you about a mistake, or whatever)

1. Stop
2. Breathe (put attention to your breath)
3. Notice (notice the feeling in your body)
4. Recognise (always assume everyone has a positive intention and wants to be happy)
5. React (decide how you want to react)

This is just one small example. But the one I liked most. :)

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Will

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'll check it out.

I've been looking into mindfullness on and off for a while and do find it very helpful at times. I don't really think you "sold" the book based on your description of it but the google exec aspect of it piqued my interest enough to give it at least a quick once over. I'll report back after finishing it.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Will Bauer

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
I'll check it out.

I've been looking into mindfullness on and off for a while and do find it very helpful at times. I don't really think you "sold" the book based on your description of it but the google exec aspect of it piqued my interest enough to give it at least a quick once over. I'll report back after finishing it.

Thanks!

That might be true.

Maybe these people will do a better job, than me. ;)

“Google engineer, Chade-Meng Tan’s book shows that to avoid certain kinds of results, you need to change the conditions that give rise to them. If you change the habitual patterns of your mind, you can change their resulting attitudes and emotions and find peace and inner happiness.” (His Holiness the Dalai Lama)

“This is a book offering much good advice. I most appreciate Meng’s insight that expressing compassion for others brings happiness to oneself as well.” (Jimmy Carter, Former President of the United States)

“I applaud Chade-Meng for daring to undertake the writing of a book on “Emotional Intelligence,” within which lies the essence of knowing oneself. The practices he offers will help improve our lives and in the process lead to a world where greater peace and happiness is possible.” (S.R. Nathan, Former President of Singapore)

“Combining timeless wisdom with modern science, Chade-Meng Tan has created an entertaining and practical guide to success and happiness.” (Deepak Chopra)

Search Inside Yourself is a practical guide to the fundamentals of emotional intelligence. This book has the potential to change lives and deliver happiness.” (Tony Hsieh, New York Times bestselling author of Delivering Happiness and CEO of Zappos.com, Inc.)

“This book and the course it’s based on represent one of the greatest aspects of Google’s culture—that one individual with a great idea can really change the world.” (Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.