The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

GoHeavy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Oct 27, 2015
Finished in the past 45 days:

Pitch Anything - Oren Klaff
*this was a REALLY good book. Blends tactics with personal examples. It was recommended by someone on here and it was the kind of book I know I'll be reading again when I want a refresh

Total Recall - Arnold Schwarzenegger
*(audio book) I never knew Arnold was such a shrewd businessman but it details how much of a fighter he has been his entire life. Highly recommended

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
*(audio book) Definitely some good things to take away and apply to business. I'm not sure how effective this was as an audio book. May need to buy in print and read

The Art of Thinking Clearly - Rolf Dobelli
*(audio book) This book is about the ~90 emotional biases humans are affected by when making decisions. This was one of the more important books I've ever listened to in my life

The Greatest Minds and Ideas of All Time - Will Durant
*(audio book) Didn't quite get this one. Actually, I didn't finish it because I couldn't understand what I was supposed to take away from it

Who Owns the Ice House - Clifton Taulbert
*From MJ's recommended list. Great story and some great takeaways. Short enough to read in one sitting. Some great lessons in here about customer service, providing value, risk taking and the will to push through circumstances. Probably many things I missed as well.

D

Deleted37035

Art of War is a must READ. Cheap copies can be found on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
Pitch Anything - Oren Klaff
*this was a REALLY good book. Blends tactics with personal examples. It was recommended by someone on here and it was the kind of book I know I'll be reading again when I want a refresh

This book makes political debates MUCH more entertaining to watch unfold. All the techniques discussed in this book being thrown around by master manipulators.

That having been said; I'm really starting to build some serious mindset to lay the foundation for my future success, so for this month I'm reading:

Robert Glover - No More Mr. Nice Guy

Jay Early - Self Therapy

Peter Voogd - Six Months to Six Figures

Tony|Outwork Co.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jan 2, 2016
California
I'm currently reading:

The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness (Really working on the action part of development; I want to delve deep into willpower and how to make it stronger).

The Lion in the White House: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt (I like to read biographies at night before I go to sleep to help inspire my dreams. It's also easier to read to my normal non-fiction because I am not concerned with taking notes or capturing ideas. Hand down, Teddy is my favorite president and he is one of the most inspiring figures of all time).

Strong Enough? (I am refining my thoughts and strategies for physical training and preparedness. Nothing is quite as important as becoming strong and Rippetoe's thoughts are to the point and very sticky.)

Audio: Empire of the Summer Moon (I actually just finished this and I was instantly inspired by the fighting ways and techniques of the Comanche Indian Warrior and how Quanah Parker (the story's protagonist) reinvented himself from deadly warrior to politician and businessman.

On deck: I have a massive list of books to read but the next three are

The Millionaire Fastlane (I'm probably one of the few people on here who haven't read the book yet. Really excited about this one, obviously).

The E-Myth Revisited (I just started a t-shirt company and blog and I have another idea that I'm working on. The more information I can get about starting a small business, the better).

Sam Walton: Made in America (Just like Ray Kroc and the story of McDonalds, what we see today isn't how the big business began. Everything starts small and its important to look the industry giants humble beginnings to get an idea of what it takes to make it big)

r/Onward

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
I've been re reading a bunch of books in my library lately, but I've recently purchased

-Extreme ownership

-Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone

-The Lemonade Stand: What every entrepreneur should know to succeed in starting and running any business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
I post too often in here, but whatever.

I'm currently reading this book called Profit First by Mike Michalowicz. I seen his Ted talk & saw he wrote a few books, so I decided to check it out. So far so good.

Here is his Ted Talk

G

Guest34764

The 50th Law (Loving it)

How to win friends and influence people(Loving it)

The art of the deal(So-so)

Jazzcat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jan 3, 2013
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
The Story of Philosophy - Will Durant (re-read)
"Seek ye first the good things of the mind, and the rest will either be supplied or its loss will not be felt." - Sir Francis Bacon
After some recent distractions...I have returned to the first and most important question of all personal and professional pursuits..."Why?"...this book helps.

The Membership Economy - Robbie Kellman Baxter
Kind of a "basic brick" book so far...closely akin to "The Automatic Customer"...but I am trying to devour everything I can in the membership/subscription wheelhouse as the movement from ownership to membership continues to reveal fresh opportunity.

Flow - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (re-read)
"The best moments of our lives usually occur when a person's body or mind is stretched to the limits in a voluntary moment to achieve something difficult and worthwhile. Optimal experience is thus something we make happen ...for each person there are thousands of opportunities and challenges to expand ourselves."
This is not an "easy" read...this is my 5th or 6th time through...it's a mindset work...if you liked "The Power of Habit" you may like this.

The Brilliance Trilogy - Marcus Sakey (Brilliance, A Better World, Written In Fire)
From my reading so far it appears to be current day dystopian science fiction that plays like a film noir/thriller in an alternate history ...a new school recommendation from my nephew who is probably tired of my old school ravings about Dune, 1984, and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

Last edited:

arukomp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Oct 19, 2015
Vilnius, Lithuania
Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance.
I love the idea of Tesla cars and I just wanted to get a little glimpse at the mastermind behind it. Zip2, PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity... What else is in his future?? Truly inspiring.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Power of Broke by Daymond John, interesting start, great mindset lessons, liked what I read so far from Display Of Power.

Running Lean
by Ash Maurya I will start reading and implementing methodology from tomorrow.
Never finished the Lean startup idk why, guess the tech talk and not actually explaining how to implement the Lean Methodology and merely describing it pushed me away. Supposedly Running Lean shows you how to actually implement Lean Methodology, Ash has written some great articles about Starting a new company, MVP's etc.

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, yet to start listening on Audible.

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
I've discovered some great books from reading this thread. I wanted to share a few that I have recently finished reading along with a short review on each.

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

Loved this book. Relatively short read but filled with great wisdom. There’s something about the stories and fables from ancient times that I thoroughly enjoy, and the lessons on money & wealth told in this book are as relevant today as they were centuries ago. A few of my favourite lessons and quotes that really resonated with me:

“A part of all you earn is yours to keep.” – Pay yourself first, form the habit of saving and make your savings work for you. The poor remain poor because when they are promoted and get a salary increase, they just increase their spending. Saving a part of your income and investing it wisely is the key to long-term wealth.

“Men of Action are favoured by the Goddess of Good Luck.” – The story behind this lesson was excellent, and it’s so applicable to today’s world. Action trumps everything. You can read and learn and strategize all you want, but when you take ACTION is when good things happen. You win or you learn, there is no lose.

“Where the determination is, the way can be found.” – Never give up. Meet each challenge head on, knock it over and keep moving forward. Perseverance separates the winners from the losers.

Not Fade Away – Laurence Shames & Peter Barton

This is an incredibly honest and confronting story that I believe everyone should read. It details the final years of Peter Barton’s life, through his own words, as he accepts his fate at the hands of Stomach Cancer. His story is a reminder of the shortness & fragility of life, as he succumbs to cancer at just 51 years of age. A successful entrepreneur with three kids, Barton’s story is both sad and surprisingly comforting as he finds himself spiritually in his final years. A must read.

Speedgor

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 25, 2015
Perth, Australia
"How to become a billionaire without talent or brains."

Kim Kardashian

I recently watched an E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY short documentary on the Kardashians. Her first business venture was when she was 17 with an 5% interest loan from her real dad to buy exclusive fashion items that she knew were hard to get and sold them for 4x on eBay which lead her to her first clothing boutique which lead her to being a personal stylist for celebs. Pretty fastlane if you ask me.... which lead to her becoming good friends with Paris Hilton and began getting noticed...... and then the sex tape came out.

You dont build empires without brains.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
I'm authoring an article on the business case for intellectual property. As part of my background reading, I read:

Driving Innovation: Intellectual Property Strategies for a Dynamic World; and
The Invisible Edge: Taking Your Strategy to the Next Level Using Intellectual Property.

Both were great reads for somebody looking to understand IP strategy better.

I just read "Gorilla Mindset." As the title says, it's a mindset book. It's a poorly-written book and should been better edited before it was released. Nonetheless, I liked it - it provided some really great tools for mindset work.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
I recently watched an E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY short documentary on the Kardashians. Her first business venture was when she was 17 with an 5% interest loan from her real dad to buy exclusive fashion items that she knew were hard to get and sold them for 4x on eBay which lead her to her first clothing boutique which lead her to being a personal stylist for celebs. Pretty fastlane if you ask me.... which lead to her becoming good friends with Paris Hilton and began getting noticed...... and then the sex tape came out.

You dont build empires without brains.
“Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction that Kim Kardashian doesn’t know what she’s doing,”

FiqqVales

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 13, 2015
Malaysia
Just finished reading "The Go-Giver" which is okay, short and memorable. And now just starting to read "The Willpower Instinct". I like the dedication part which goes like "This book is dedicated to everyone who has ever struggled with temptation, addiction, procrastination, or motivation - which is to say, all of us" :D

Rigged

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 17, 2015
New York
Just starting Tony Smith's awaken the giant. Big read, loved the intro how he was hovering in his private chopper over his former workplace where he used to be a janitor. Jackpot

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I'm currently reading Big Magic by Liz Gilbert. I like to mix things up a bit and I plan to read more fiction to balance the brain.

My last book was TMF . That's what brought me here.

I'm planning on reading 12 books in 2016 but it's closer to 15 at the current pace.

So far I've read:

Think & Grow Rich - Napolean Hill
The Future Of God - Deepak Chopra
The Millionaire Fastlane - MJ DeMarco

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Currently listening to Mastery by Robert Greene.
Currently reading Smart but Scattered (for my kids) and Godel Escher Bach.
Currently taking the Machine Learning course from Coursera.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Currently reading Thinker Toys by Michael Michalko, interesting book on boosting creativity and problem solving skills

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Currently listening to Mastery by Robert Greene.
Currently reading Smart but Scattered (for my kids) and Godel Escher Bach.
Currently taking the Machine Learning course from Coursera.

No shit, I'm taking the same course.

I think it would make a fun drinking game: Every time Ng says "concretely" take a shot.

I just finished reading the 10x rule. I'm going to pick up Getting More, next.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
"Who Owns the Ice House?" (Eight life lessons from an unlikely entrepreneur)

- by Clifton Taulbert

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.