The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Improving Public Speaking??

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
So it's almost been a full week... how was your first toastmasters?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
So it's almost been a full week... how was your first toastmasters?

I found one near my house that meets every other Tuesday at 7pm with their next meeting being this Tuesday the 25th. The shitty part is I work my slow lane job every other Tuesday rotating from 7am-7pm and 7pm-7am. So I am looking now to find a new club since I'll be working every time they have a meeting. I'm definitely going to check out a Toastmasters meeting though, and soon.

Christian949

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 13, 2015
I have an issue with public speaking also. I tend to get worried about my accent and people not understanding me in college classes(though none of my friends risk me if I say something). I really don't know why...

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I have an issue with public speaking also. I tend to get worried about my accent and people not understanding me in college classes(though none of my friends risk me if I say something). I really don't know why...

Yeah, Arnold Schwarzenegger was also worried about his accent. That didn't keep him from making blockbuster movies. Same with Stallone. Or Van Damme. People also laughed with my accent when I was a kid because my parents came from another region. So what, it makes you unique.

Face it, 99.9% of the world population tend to get worried about their accent, looks, posture, ... That's why speaking in front of an audience is the biggest fear of people. Yes, they're actually more afraid of speaking for an audience than for death, nuclear threats, IS, diseases or asking on this forum if their idea is fastlane. Can you imagine?

Just be bold and get in front of that audience. You're probably making it up and if not, it's no reason to stay silent. People don't care about your accent, they care about your message.

Anthony Mathapo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 12, 2015
South Africa
I think the most effective public speaking tool is a mind shift.

A shift from "Me" focus to Nobody gives a crap about me.

They only care about how I look, how I dress, how I communicate, what I can add to them. They don't give a crap about me.

I don't know how you can adopt this mindset - but it's been insanely useful for me.

Do you care if I'm nervous, shy, or whatever the heck as you're reading these words on this forum? Only if it's effecting how well you understand what I'm saying. Lol :D It's not about you, it's about them. Forget about yourself and you'll have nothing to worry about
best post i have heard all week. THE TRUTH DOES NOT GET BETTER THAN THAT!!!

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Hey all,

I'm interested in getting better at speaking in public. I tend to get shy/embarrassed and care too much what people think. I was wondering what tools or resources I should look into to improve in this area?

Practice is the king. I remember when I moved to Quebec and started learning french. It took me a lot of time to start speaking to people I don't know. Then one day I just said screw it and started participating in different activities which involved speaking to a group of 10, 50 even 100 people. Made an a$$ of myself couple of times in the process, but now speaking to an audience is one of the things I love the most.

That being said, Google some practical tips and use every opportunity to talk to a group of people. Start with smaller ones, like 10-15. About Toastmasters - never joined but just did a research after reading the posts here and will definitively be doing that too.

I wish you the best of luck!

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Something I usually keep in mind is that the most listened to people are the ones who are the most bold. Like MLK or Steve Jobs. Start with the why, stand for something.

If either of these guys cared for what people thought, they definitely wouldn't have turned out to be who they were. A lot of people hate both of them but a lot of people strongly support them as well.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Toastmasters is good, I would also say to check into a Dale Carnegie course on speaking as they address large groups, small groups and mingling.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.