The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlaning my career

explodingtuna

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 23, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I'm hoping I can ask some crowdsourced advice. I'm in a slightly different position than some of you, as I'm lucky enough to love my work. By which I mean I used to look forward to Mondays at my last job :)

So I don't necessarily want to give that up. But I do have two problems:
1) There aren't too many jobs and so you get stuffed into the bottom of the ladder and spend years on the career hamster wheel. I'm happy to put in the time, but I also can do a lot more than what they let me do (I've done it before). So I essentially need to figure out how to fastlane my career and get to the top of my field.
2) I also need to escape the money slowlane. Getting to the top of my field would help, but not completely.

I don't know if these two things can go together, but I'm interested to hear thoughts from a crowd that seems to be all about pushing past the standard roadblocks. My work is basically in content and expertise - so I guess I'm selling myself to an extent. I don't expect I'll be manufacturing anything anytime soon, but communication / self-publishing perhaps.

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Hard without details. Is consulting a thing in your sector?
A typical pathway would be career (experience) -> consulting -> consulting firm -> products (software, educational, etc).

explodingtuna

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 23, 2015
It is, but it's still subject to the hamster wheel problem. Sorry, I know no details make it difficult but it's hard for me to give reasonable details without being totally obvious - it's a niche field.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Take someone different out to lunch each week. You will make connections and friends that will speed you up the process.

Note: if the first thought that popped in your head started with 'but......', then you are not ready.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

explodingtuna

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 23, 2015
No buts! That's a great idea. I've been doing intro emails and info calls, but haven't tried that yet so it might push things forward more quickly.

Any special suggestions on what (or what not to) say? I know my way around introducing myself to people so I don't mean basics :) just any special tips you might have.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.