The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What You Can Learn From My Experience

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
In door-to-door sales.

When I was 15 I responded to a flyer on a telephone post. It was a job offer in door to door sales.
When I met the guy, he explained the process. How we'd get paid, what to expect, etc...

I was thrilled to start but then I realized how hard cold sales are.

The first day I started it was raining. Not too hard, just a drizzle.
It was a relatively low-income apartments that we were servicing that day with some decent single family homes near-by.

I'd never knocked on anyone's door before like that. I was terribly nervous.
I was given a script to memorize before I started.

It didn't matter when they answered the door. I fumbled with my words. I sucked something fierce.
Oddly I made 2 sales that day.

I didn't realize it but with each house, approaching got easier. I loosened up a bit.

I quit this job 3 months later after my team leader, another team's associate, and myself got jumped during the day, on a Saturday by 10 or so people. They took our cash, our phones, my team leaders shoes.
I was tired of getting guns pointed at me from knocking on people's doors anyway.

My takeaways were:
  • Not everyone wants what you got but some do
  • People get indignant if you interrupt 3 major things - dinner, sex and TV time(don't knock after 8:30pm)
  • Sales are easily the hardest job if you are impatient to learning and criticism
  • If the script isn't about the customer, ditch it - ours went something like "help us get a bond for college" no wonder we only got 10-15 sales/week (other teams using their own script were in the 100's/week)
  • Use competition to make yourself work faster and do stuff better, the other guy might be your best friend but if he gets a sale on the same street, he stole from you
  • Sliding scale payout formats make people work harder to get to the next tier or can work against them if they do sell good
  • Burn through your early no's. Ignore them. Use that to make your next approach. Most sales came 2 hours into the night (out for 5 hours)

Thanks for reading
Mike

P.S. I was selling newspaper subscriptions for $20/3 Months

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
In door-to-door sales.

When I was 15 I responded to a flyer on a telephone post. It was a job offer in door to door sales.
When I met the guy, he explained the process. How we'd get paid, what to expect, etc...

I was thrilled to start but then I realized how hard cold sales are.

The first day I started it was raining. Not too hard, just a drizzle.
It was a relatively low-income apartments that we were servicing that day with some decent single family homes near-by.

I'd never knocked on anyone's door before like that. I was terribly nervous.
I was given a script to memorize before I started.

It didn't matter when they answered the door. I fumbled with my words. I sucked something fierce.
Oddly I made 2 sales that day.

I didn't realize it but with each house, approaching got easier. I loosened up a bit.

I quit this job 3 months later after my team leader, another team's associate, and myself got jumped during the day, on a Saturday by 10 or so people. They took our cash, our phones, my team leaders shoes.
I was tired of getting guns pointed at me from knocking on people's doors anyway.

My takeaways were:
  • Not everyone wants what you got but some do
  • People get indignant if you interrupt 3 major things - dinner, sex and TV time(don't knock after 8:30pm)
  • Sales are easily the hardest job if you are impatient to learning and criticism
  • If the script isn't about the customer, ditch it - ours went something like "help us get a bond for college" no wonder we only got 10-15 sales/week (other teams using their own script were in the 100's/week)
  • Use competition to make yourself work faster and do stuff better, the other guy might be your best friend but if he gets a sale on the same street, he stole from you
  • Sliding scale payout formats make people work harder to get to the next tier or can work against them if they do sell good
  • Burn through your early no's. Ignore them. Use that to make your next approach. Most sales came 2 hours into the night (out for 5 hours)

Thanks for reading
Mike

P.S. I was selling newspaper subscriptions for $20/3 Months

Your story reminded me of the newspaper sales pitch scene from Boiler Room..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.