The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do grades affect your life

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
I don't really think they have much effect, but I have been wrong about things before. Does anyone think that grades have any indication on where you end up in life after school education? Is there anyone on the form that also thinks you can learn something from higher education? I know plenty of entrepreneurs in my area that say education is extremely important, and I know plenty that say it's not. Curious to hear different perspectives from this forum.

Education is incredibly important, but that doesn't have to be a formal education. Can you learn things in college? Of course. Is that necessarily the most efficient place to learn? Probably not.

To answer your original question, I'll ask two of my own.

Has anyone ever seen my college diploma?
Do I even know where my diploma is?

You can probably guess the answer to both of those.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
Poor grades are a reflection of the person getting poor grades. If you're going to do something, why not give it your best? Chances are if you slack in school you'll slack in the rest of your life.

Why not give it your best? How about the law of diminishing returns. Once you've reached good enough (how ever you define that) what benefit do you get from the extra time invested. Can you say opportunity cost?

When I was in college I would decide on the grade I wanted in the class. I would start with the assumption that I would ace the tests, then I would figure out exactly what percentage of the homework I needed to do in order to get my chosen grade for the semester. Do you think I wasted my time doing any extra unnecessary homework?

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
It all depends what your goals are. If you want to work at Google or another tech giant after graduating from college, chances are they're not even going to consider you if you're not close to a 4.0 GPA.

Funny enough, I dropped out of a shitty college with an average GPA, but have gotten job offers from Google/Facebook. I just built enough quality apps to grab attention I guess.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I flunked out of college first, and community college second. I now make more than any professor I ever met. College isn't for everyone. The people the most impressed with college degrees... are other people with college degrees.

Interestingly enough, this fall I will be teaching entrepreneurship at a local community college. Ironic.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I think if it is college, you might as well try to make good grades. I didn't even try hard and I got a 3.64 or something like that. That is good enough to look good in case I need to get a job, but I didn't have to kill myself to get it.

I think if you are going to college, and aren't planning on dropping out, you should apply yourself and learn what you can. It might not be fastlane or whatever, but what IS fastlane is cultivating the ability to set apart time for work when you technically don't have to. What IS fastlane is learning how to pump out work quickly and effectively, from creative angles. What IS fastlane is learning how your brain works and when it works best.

If you don't apply yourself in college, you may never learn these things, and that would definitely not be doing yourself any entrepreneurial favors.

PSDSH

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 4, 2013
North Texas
I flunked out of college first, and community college second. I now make more than any professor I ever met. College isn't for everyone. The people the most impressed with college degrees... are other people with college degrees.

Interestingly enough, this fall I will be teaching entrepreneurship at a local community college. Ironic.

You flunked out? How in the world did that happen? Were you partying too much or what? Educate us, please.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

I worked at Best Buy full time throughout, and when I wasn't working I was partying. When I wasn't partying I was travelling to see my future wife. Not sure I ever studied nor went to class. I never should have been in college. I just thought everyone was supposed to go. High school guidance counselors provide no guidance.

50% if high school graduates in the US go to college. The dirty secret is that only 1/2 of the kids that start college ever finish it. College is not for everyone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.