The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

prototype production

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

Step 1: draw what you want

Step 2: go to odesk

Step 3: hire a product designer that will work off your drawing

Step 4: have them supply you with a parasolid model and an stl

Step 5: 3d print your stl

Step 6: supply a manufacturer with your parasolid for tooling

Step 7: make product

And google is your friend, every question asked thus far could have been answered with 30 mins of your own research either here or on a search engine. That's not being mean, it's the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a few applicants on odesk. I am looking for someone to graphic design and get some type of hard product made by 3d print or whichever is best. Are there ever scammers on odesk? I got one guy that offered to do it for free if it was simple. Haha. Are some of these people looking to steal ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
What I did was use CNC machining for the initial small batch of prototypes. Works well for both metal and plastic, and will give you very exact accuracy, tolerances, and smooth surfaces. For 3D printing, those attributes aren't always there but it depends on the printers used of course.

Find a company locally who has a CNC machine, and ask if they will make a piece for you. All they will need is some file format that the machine will take - typically IGS or STL.

I didn't even think about finding a local company with a CNC machine to improve my 3d printed prototype. Thanks Eskil!

Robbypz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 25, 2013
Kansas City
I wanted to share with you guys just how easy it can be to make a prototype, earlier in this thread I mentioned how mold plugs can be made out of low cost materials such as MDF. Here is an example of of that. I made this prototype Ipad dock that I designed out of mdf on my CNC. The front bezel was primed and sanded smooth. I then took this to a local art studio that made a mold and cast urethane copies of it. Extremely cost effective and simple. The first pic shows the MDF prototype, the second pic shows the finished casting.

photo(7).JPG photo(8).JPG

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.