The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flipping Cars for a Profit

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

jahelmie

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
May 13, 2011
Missouri
I just wanted to share my experience flipping cars when I was building capital for my business. I have a lot of experience doing body work and painting, but you don't need my experience for a successful flip. There are all kinds of cars online for sale that are in "needs work" shape. Some may be mechanical and often cosmetic.

I would search Craigslist and Facebook marketplace non stop for vehicles for sale that needed work. With Kelly BB on one side of the screen, and my search window on the other side. I often found wrecked vehicles that had little damage and a very dirty inside. Although, I have repaired some vehicles that needed some extensive work which would require some skill, the majority had a wrecked bumper or fender.

Knowing how much the vehicle could "potentially" sell before going to pick it up. I knew what I had to pay for it to make enough money for it to be worth my time. When you buy a car for the right price that has low miles, and all you need to do is have a fender replaced or a bumper replaced / painted. You can make money off the vehicle still without having to know how to paint. You purchase the parts and send it to a body shop to do the painting. Sometimes you can even get parts from the junk yard already painted the same color. Just ask them when you call, "Do you have any white ones?"

Unless you paid too much for the vehicle, having a couple panels painted isn't going to cost that much. Just make sure you send the vin number with the body shop so they can get the correct variance and you don't have two different shades of the same color red when you panel match. You're supposed to blend the color to the next panel back, but I have found by using the vin and getting the correct variance, you can often get away with it. You can do the wrench work. Just put it back together the same way you took it apart. Sometimes there may be some adjusting but with some practice it is pretty easy.

Another thing is, the cars I bought were always FILTHY! If they would have just cleaned them before they sold them they could have gotten a few more dollars out of me. But 95% of the time I had to clean these vehicles. And aside from the damage being repaired, the clean interior often sold the car. I always got compliments on how clean the car was. Here is a couple pics of a Ford car I bought. It needed a new condenser, front bumper, and passenger headlight. I paid 2,500 for the car. I had less than 700 into it and I sold it for 7,500.

Work peformed by me:
- Picked the vehicle up - drove it to my house.
- Purchased a new condenser, bumper, and headlight off eBay. (Body shop charged the AC for me after the new condenser)
- Figured out how to take the condenser off just by looking at what was holding it on and put the new one on.
- Took the car and the bumper to the body shop so they could make sure the color on the bumper matched since I refused to blend into the surrounding panels.
- I installed the bumper that the body shop had painted for me - which was pretty self-explanatory even if you don't know how to work on cars.
- I installed the headlight and had to align the hood.
- I cleaned the inside so that it looked brand new again
- And to top it off, I changed out the hubcaps to give it a classier look

It was very little work and didn't require but a couple nights of my time. I know its not a lot of money, but for some it could be all you need to keep going on your business. I don't want to keep promoting self-employed jobs here, but hopefully some of my experience can help anyone who was without a whole lot of money like I really was when I was younger.

A little fun fact and possibly something that may anger some of you who take your car in for a detail - with all my odd ball jobs over the years, one of them was at car dealer where I installed aftermarket components on the vehicles. I worked right next to the detail shop. If the dealer bought a used car with a filthy inside, the detail shop would spray paint the carpets to make them look new again. That was how I got my car's carpet so clean. Often it was the floor that was the dirtiest and spray paint makes them look great! Just go easy on it, too much makes for a stiff carpet.

Pics of the car I had a body shop do the painting on.
56212430838__DCCBA2D1-B9E6-4D55-B571-88670257FBD3.JPG
tempImagea2LpRB.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jahelmie

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
May 13, 2011
Missouri
Nice work.

I would even consider building a tool/app that makes your job easier with sourcing deals, which you could package up and sell if there's enough demand from other car flippers.
Funny that you mention that. It was a lot of redundant work searching for cars, seeing what their value would be like in "good" condition. And running a search that automatically pulls cars that are under a value range that the user sets. So if there was an app that would just find the undervalued vehicles out there for you, calculate how much money there is to play with on each particular undervalued vehicle search result, it would have been a lot easier finding cars.

I always wanted an app to automate a lot of that redundant work. I flipped a lot of cars and got to a point where I could look at one and go, "Okay... parts, labor, and material are going to be (this much)." But I still had to do the research on every vehicle to make sure the time and money would be worth it and that it would sell for a lot more than I had into it.

There were many times that I had too much time into researching each individual car and would end up just buying the first car that was under valued just so I could get some money coming in. And then later finding another car that had a lot more potential but Id already be stuck with the one I bought.

403burnout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 8, 2024
Good thread.

I've flipped a few cars and you can make a few thousand with pretty minimal work if you're able to buy the right deal.

The biggest struggle I've experienced is finding cars at a fair price. Facebook Marketplace has made it a lot more of a luck-based thing for me - you have to be one of the first people to contact a seller on a good deal or your message gets lost in a sea of "Is this still available" messages. Back in the day with Craigslist you could make yourself stand out a little more and show that you were serious by calling the phone number on the post when so many others would email / text.

The last 2 cars I've bought to flip were not even through Facebook. They were either through personal connections (friends / family know that I will buy broken cars in need of work) or driving by and seeing the car on the side of the road and getting the seller's contact information that way.

Another thing is, the cars I bought were always FILTHY! If they would have just cleaned them before they sold them they could have gotten a few more dollars out of me. But 95% of the time I had to clean these vehicles. And aside from the damage being repaired, the clean interior often sold the car. I always got compliments on how clean the car was. Here is a couple pics of a Ford car I bought. It needed a new condenser, front bumper, and passenger headlight. I paid 2,500 for the car. I had less than 700 into it and I sold it for 7,500.
To add on to this a little bit - it's amazing how lazy people get when selling a car, and also how easy it is to add thousands of dollars to the value of a car with minimal time / skills.

A ~$100 carpet shampooer and a few minutes spent removing the seats (which in most cases are only held in with 4 bolts) will allow you to do a better job cleaning up an interior than 99% of sellers.

Another easy value add - cleaning up hazy / fogged up headlights. Makes a huge difference to the overall appearance of a car, and really doesn't take long to do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jahelmie

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
May 13, 2011
Missouri
Good thread.

I've flipped a few cars and you can make a few thousand with pretty minimal work if you're able to buy the right deal.

The biggest struggle I've experienced is finding cars at a fair price. Facebook Marketplace has made it a lot more of a luck-based thing for me - you have to be one of the first people to contact a seller on a good deal or your message gets lost in a sea of "Is this still available" messages. Back in the day with Craigslist you could make yourself stand out a little more and show that you were serious by calling the phone number on the post when so many others would email / text.

The last 2 cars I've bought to flip were not even through Facebook. They were either through personal connections (friends / family know that I will buy broken cars in need of work) or driving by and seeing the car on the side of the road and getting the seller's contact information that way.

To add on to this a little bit - it's amazing how lazy people get when selling a car, and also how easy it is to add thousands of dollars to the value of a car with minimal time / skills.

A ~$100 carpet shampooer and a few minutes spent removing the seats (which in most cases are only held in with 4 bolts) will allow you to do a better job cleaning up an interior than 99% of sellers.

Another easy value add - cleaning up hazy / fogged up headlights. Makes a huge difference to the overall appearance of a car, and really doesn't take long to do.

Finding cars for me in the beginning was luck and a lot of searching. But I did find them eventually. Some of them were through individuals, others were through dealers. I also had expand my search radius so not to just search in my local neighborhood. Sometimes I had to drive 3+ hours to get the vehicles.

There are a lot of dealers, especially on Craigslist. When I would find these dealers and make the first deal with them, I would inform them before leaving that I would be interested in any trade-ins or vehicles that needed work and to call me first before putting it on the market or taking to the auction. This would often save them the trouble of messing with the vehicles because they knew they already had a buyer.

It got to a point where I could just call the dealers I had already made connections with and ask them which cars they had available. One dealer even let me go to the auction with him and buy cars through his license for an additional 200 dollars per car.

On that note. At the auction, I saw dream cars, trucks, heavy equipment, you name it - practically brand new with very little miles / hours, selling for less than half of the MSRP.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.