The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What challenged the "it’s always been done?" argument?

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
Hello, so I've been reading The Great Rat Race Escape and I'm at Chapter 97: "The Porous Belief strategy".

Just out of curiosity, what has challenged MJ's old belief of "Well, that’s how it’s always been done?" of eating meat? Was it a book? I want to learn more about it, thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well, that’s how it’s always been done?" of eating meat? Was it a book? I want to learn more about it, thank you!

This story has multiple layers to the onion, so it would take me likely at a few hours to report it here.

Short version:

For me, it started with a personal anecdote when I saw a bug in the kitchen while I was eating. I put my sandwich down to go quarantine the bug and put him/her outside. I rarely kill bugs, spiders, or any intruders in the house. After placing the bug outside, I applauded myself for being so respectful to life. Then I went back to eating my chicken sandwich.

That was the spiritual/moralistic side of the equation and kickstarted the process.

On the health side, I followed with books like The China Study and Whole. Also consumed a variety of documentaries on plant-based diets, as well as some others that were not (Paleo, Keto, etc.) Then I looked into some of the research, which to be honest, was quite limited, because most medical research has become a poor exercise in reductionism, instead of holistic. There's a pretty disturbing connection between wilful disease and profit, to the point, it pays to keep people sick and addicted to junk -- in other words, it pays to keep things "how it's always been done." After considerable investigation, I came to the conclusion that there was no reason for me to continue eating meat in a culture where it is no longer needed. I don't live in the Alaskan bush or have to face harsh winters where seeds/plants are scarce.

Then came my own empirical evidence, as well as others (like the 7th Day Adventists) where plant-based eating isn't a fad or a "thing to do", but a way of life. I concluded correlation to health and longer life.

Looking back at my own medical history (which I save in a 5 inch thick binder) I was a pretty big health shit-show in my 30's and early 40's. Ailment after ailment. Oddly though, I looked in great shape, but underneath, I was fighting many health issues.

Eating plant-based erased all of that and now at 52, I feel better than I did at 35.

To tie everything up with a nice little bow, I've never felt so spiritually at peace with my choices, and the resulting health benefits that came from it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.