The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time to get going

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 24, 2022
Hi, I am a 24yo math student ready to get a job, save diligently for 40 years, and then live happily for the rest of my life. Nah, you would believe me in most other places, but not in this one.

Why am I here?
I was an agreeable person, and a good student, others always reminded me how I will graduate from a good college, have a good job, and have enough money. But that is not how I envision myself and my future. This year I became skeptical about things and started researching, and talking to friend about various themes, and this summer I ended up reading TMF . This year was the first time that I thought really deeply about my purpose in life. I went through a lot of aspects of my present and future, and come up for the first time with an aim. I wrote to myself what I want to accomplish, where I want to go, why I want to do it, how might I do it, and what would happen if I do not make it. One part of that life mission is best described with the word Unscripted . I have decided that I want to make something valuable, go against the popular opinion that we have to get employed, and stay employed till our 60s. For me, following the given routes, not being bold, taking risks, but slowly repressing ambition is not the way to live my life. That opinion is something I deeply thought about and it seems to me that there is no going back. I will finish college, except in the case where I find a business that would make me drop out, and I will work to get money to live, but I do not plan to stop trying to get unscripted .

Some reasons why I want to get unscripted .
One of the reasons I want to build a successful business asides from the freedom and wealth is a bit strange and personal, but it is important for me. As I grew up in a smaller town and didn't have people who would direct me, I am now sitting here and asking myself how could I not found these ideas earlier. It was all online, there were books, there was a forum, and I heard about people growing businesses, getting rich, building amazing stuff, and it didn't come to my mind that those people weren't following what society told them. There was no one that could tell me, hey there is another way to live a life. I want to become that guy, an example. Not to show off, but because there will be someone like me, maybe in his/her 30s and thinking "If I only found out earlier". I know people younger than me that are exceptional in their fields, but I can not tell them to go work on their own product/service or help somebody, and that building a career is not the only way, because I haven't made anything yet.

So I talked to like 20 people about how excited I am because I will start solving problems, helping others just for the sake of it, and most of the advice I got from them is "Wouldn't it be better to get a job and after few years when you have a solid ground open your business?".

My current plan
I am half way through the Unscripted , planned to join this forum after finishing the book, in the meantime try to go out, talk to friends and strangers about various things, and try to find out what problems they have in life, and maybe offer to solve them. That is something I found in a thread on this forum
At the start, your most important piece of self-development (in my humble opinion), is to become a black belted, top-of-the-class, 1st round draft, Cyberdyne Systems Model 101, whoop-a$$ problem solver!

Great advice :)

As I don't have that one idea I will put all my time and energy into, this is something I will focus on. And now I got to the reason why I came here before finishing the book as I planned. I realized that I have a problem, maybe a bit embarrassing. When I made a smaller goal, to approach people in the lunch time, on a coffee break, while waiting in a queue, and get to know them a bit, and find their problems, I got stuck. I do not do that. I get back to my apartment and ask myself why didn't I ask them something, that guy seemed interesting, that girl looked cute, some need help, some are sitting by themself, some are open and in a good mood. I mostly don't approach them, and even if I end up talking to them, I do not talk about my current interests. Today I was at a caffee bar by myself, sitting there, reading for a while. On the next table there were some college girls studying math, and they didn't know how to solve few problems. It was like universe telling me oh you have been feeling down for some time, here I'll make it easier for you to finish your goal today, and the universe put few persons strugling with math in front of me. And guess what, 10 minutes later I got up, payed and went to my apartment. Perfect situation for me to help someone, and nothing happened. Nada. I don't know how is that called, is it approach anxiety, or what, but I'll call it being a pu**y. My mind just make excuses, "it would be akward to speak now", "you ended a one and a half year realtionship last month, you can take it easy on yourself". I don't buy it, and I think it can be overcome with slow exposure, determination, and a true reason for it.

So... I decided that I want to make an app whose main goal would be facing fears, and taking action in spite of anxiety. It is obviously not needed to solve a problem like this, or some similar problem, but I will do it because it will make me have to learn how to make an app, it will make me experiment a bit, make me have to find the best ways for facing fears, building habits, doing the hard things and putting it all in one place. Also having a solid system could speed up the process. I have looked up the app store and tried to find a similar app, but all I could find was some books, some "release anxiety", "lower the pain" apps, and that is not something I was aiming for. I was aiming for the opposite, doing the hard things, exposing yourself to fears, and actually working on the problem and not avoiding it.

I don't expect the app to be a success, it is not a popular philosophy, so there is probably smaller need for it, but the goal is to get me going, to start producing, and to make something althought I do not know how to currently. To avoid action faking, I will not work on app until I complete my daily goal, because I'm making the app for that purpose, so it would be counterproductive and illogical to just work on the app. Here it is, the first thing I will test myself, I won't return to my apartment until I finish my goal of approaching someone, asking how are they doing, what are they struggling with, or making someones day a bit better, even just making someone smile.

This post is a bit longer then I expected it to be, so I'll end it here with a few questions.

What do you think about the app idea, does it make sense?
How do you overcome getting stucked when you have to do something out of your comfort zone?
If I want to log my progress should I use this thread to do this, or that goes into some other thread category?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

adl75

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 13, 2022
Hi, I am a 24yo math student ready to get a job, save diligently for 40 years, and then live happily for the rest of my life. Nah, you would believe me in most other places, but not in this one.

Why am I here?
I was an agreeable person, and a good student, others always reminded me how I will graduate from a good college, have a good job, and have enough money. But that is not how I envision myself and my future. This year I became skeptical about things and started researching, and talking to friend about various themes, and this summer I ended up reading TMF . This year was the first time that I thought really deeply about my purpose in life. I went through a lot of aspects of my present and future, and come up for the first time with an aim. I wrote to myself what I want to accomplish, where I want to go, why I want to do it, how might I do it, and what would happen if I do not make it. One part of that life mission is best described with the word Unscripted . I have decided that I want to make something valuable, go against the popular opinion that we have to get employed, and stay employed till our 60s. For me, following the given routes, not being bold, taking risks, but slowly repressing ambition is not the way to live my life. That opinion is something I deeply thought about and it seems to me that there is no going back. I will finish college, except in the case where I find a business that would make me drop out, and I will work to get money to live, but I do not plan to stop trying to get unscripted .

Some reasons why I want to get unscripted .
One of the reasons I want to build a successful business asides from the freedom and wealth is a bit strange and personal, but it is important for me. As I grew up in a smaller town and didn't have people who would direct me, I am now sitting here and asking myself how could I not found these ideas earlier. It was all online, there were books, there was a forum, and I heard about people growing businesses, getting rich, building amazing stuff, and it didn't come to my mind that those people weren't following what society told them. There was no one that could tell me, hey there is another way to live a life. I want to become that guy, an example. Not to show off, but because there will be someone like me, maybe in his/her 30s and thinking "If I only found out earlier". I know people younger than me that are exceptional in their fields, but I can not tell them to go work on their own product/service or help somebody, and that building a career is not the only way, because I haven't made anything yet.

So I talked to like 20 people about how excited I am because I will start solving problems, helping others just for the sake of it, and most of the advice I got from them is "Wouldn't it be better to get a job and after few years when you have a solid ground open your business?".

My current plan
I am half way through the Unscripted , planned to join this forum after finishing the book, in the meantime try to go out, talk to friends and strangers about various things, and try to find out what problems they have in life, and maybe offer to solve them. That is something I found in a thread on this forum

Great advice :)

As I don't have that one idea I will put all my time and energy into, this is something I will focus on. And now I got to the reason why I came here before finishing the book as I planned. I realized that I have a problem, maybe a bit embarrassing. When I made a smaller goal, to approach people in the lunch time, on a coffee break, while waiting in a queue, and get to know them a bit, and find their problems, I got stuck. I do not do that. I get back to my apartment and ask myself why didn't I ask them something, that guy seemed interesting, that girl looked cute, some need help, some are sitting by themself, some are open and in a good mood. I mostly don't approach them, and even if I end up talking to them, I do not talk about my current interests. Today I was at a caffee bar by myself, sitting there, reading for a while. On the next table there were some college girls studying math, and they didn't know how to solve few problems. It was like universe telling me oh you have been feeling down for some time, here I'll make it easier for you to finish your goal today, and the universe put few persons strugling with math in front of me. And guess what, 10 minutes later I got up, payed and went to my apartment. Perfect situation for me to help someone, and nothing happened. Nada. I don't know how is that called, is it approach anxiety, or what, but I'll call it being a pu**y. My mind just make excuses, "it would be akward to speak now", "you ended a one and a half year realtionship last month, you can take it easy on yourself". I don't buy it, and I think it can be overcome with slow exposure, determination, and a true reason for it.

So... I decided that I want to make an app whose main goal would be facing fears, and taking action in spite of anxiety. It is obviously not needed to solve a problem like this, or some similar problem, but I will do it because it will make me have to learn how to make an app, it will make me experiment a bit, make me have to find the best ways for facing fears, building habits, doing the hard things and putting it all in one place. Also having a solid system could speed up the process. I have looked up the app store and tried to find a similar app, but all I could find was some books, some "release anxiety", "lower the pain" apps, and that is not something I was aiming for. I was aiming for the opposite, doing the hard things, exposing yourself to fears, and actually working on the problem and not avoiding it.

I don't expect the app to be a success, it is not a popular philosophy, so there is probably smaller need for it, but the goal is to get me going, to start producing, and to make something althought I do not know how to currently. To avoid action faking, I will not work on app until I complete my daily goal, because I'm making the app for that purpose, so it would be counterproductive and illogical to just work on the app. Here it is, the first thing I will test myself, I won't return to my apartment until I finish my goal of approaching someone, asking how are they doing, what are they struggling with, or making someones day a bit better, even just making someone smile.

This post is a bit longer then I expected it to be, so I'll end it here with a few questions.

What do you think about the app idea, does it make sense?
How do you overcome getting stucked when you have to do something out of your comfort zone?
If I want to log my progress should I use this thread to do this, or that goes into some other thread category?
you have noble and social thoughts! continue..try..try again and don't ask yourself too many questions..act!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...