The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The cultural paradox of television...

Anything related to matters of the mind
G

Guest6814

Lately, I’ve been seeing more ads for Hulu, encouraging people to sit and watch TV shows instead of doing anything else. It’s nothing new; 20 years ago, the ads for ABC said, “Tonight. We’re gonna sit like it’s 1999.”

Today, for some reason, I found the ads a little more thought-provoking. They were rather dumb: “Don’t just sit there. Sit there and watch something.”

The culture encourages laziness.

(Yes, you can watch an occasional show to relax and unwind, and it won’t make you a lazy bum. That’s not what Hulu wants of you.)

What are people supposed to watch? Other people doing amazing things: athletes, superheros, crime fighters, criminals who boldly evade crime fighters, etc. So, the culture lionizes physical accomplishment.

It’s paradoxical. Encouraging laziness while praising accomplishment is the surest way to breed low self-esteem and learned helplessness. Yet, the American culture has been doing that for the past 70 years or longer. It creates a very complacent society.

Don’t buy into that madness.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Very true. I remember reading an article on Art of Manliness.com. It talked about a Magazine article from 1929 as Baseball was growing. It used a term called Spectatoritis. Instead of participating in a sport such as Baseball you can just sit and watch it instead. How interested culture shifts. At the same, the muscular masculinity movement came to be inciting that "real men are constantly active."

In the 60's JFK proposed his JFK Challenge suchas this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

that the La Salle High School was a test school but unfortunately never came to be because he got assassinated.

https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpa...-the-right-to-be-an-amateur-in-the-matter.jpg

G

Guest6814

Very true. I remember reading an article on Art of Manliness.com. It talked about a Magazine article from 1929 as Baseball was growing. It used a term called Spectatoritis. Instead of participating in a sport such as Baseball you can just sit and watch it instead. How interested culture shifts. At the same, the muscular masculinity movement came to be inciting that "real men are constantly active."

that the La Salle High School was a test school but unfortunately never came to be because he got assassinated.

https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpa...-the-right-to-be-an-amateur-in-the-matter.jpg

Thank you for that. I believe Kennedy also said that kids were only exercising to get up and change channels.

So, what’s happened is that we have a heightened need to combat that desire to “collapse” into a comfort zone (if you will). People claim that, in my part of the country, everybody’s crazy about health, diet and fitness. It’s not true. A small number of people take those things seriously, and they get attention; most want to sit back and do...very little. Or, to be fair, most find it very hard to resist the overwhelming cultural push for comfort. Also, old habits are hard to break.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What are people supposed to watch? Other people doing amazing things: athletes, superheros, crime fighters, criminals who boldly evade crime fighters, etc. So, the culture lionizes physical accomplishment.

It’s paradoxical.

Kinda like loving jobs, demanding jobs, and wanting jobs, but hating the businesses and entrepreneurs that provide them?

Imagine a world where babies and toddlers are adored and wanted, but the mothers that create them are vilified.

We're there now: Welcome to the new world order, a modern day idiocracy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest6814

Kinda like loving jobs, demanding jobs, and wanting jobs, but hating the businesses and entrepreneurs that provide them?

Imagine a world where babies and toddlers are adored and wanted, but the mothers that create them are vilified.

We're there now: Welcome to the new world order, a modern day idiocracy.

Outlawing billionaires? Wanting everything to be free, with no understanding that somebody - somewhere - must pay for it??

The few. The proud. The Unscripted .

G

Guest6814

The TV/entertainment providers are pushing immediate comfort, at the expense of long-term results and real benefit.

Getting up early to study or exercise? Naw, just stay up late watching pointless garbage and then sleep late too.

My business is coming along slowy but surely, picking up steam because of those early mornings that I prefer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.