The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

The cultural paradox of television...

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

natew

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Lately, I’ve been seeing more ads for Hulu, encouraging people to sit and watch TV shows instead of doing anything else. It’s nothing new; 20 years ago, the ads for ABC said, “Tonight. We’re gonna sit like it’s 1999.”

Today, for some reason, I found the ads a little more thought-provoking. They were rather dumb: “Don’t just sit there. Sit there and watch something.”

The culture encourages laziness.

(Yes, you can watch an occasional show to relax and unwind, and it won’t make you a lazy bum. That’s not what Hulu wants of you.)

What are people supposed to watch? Other people doing amazing things: athletes, superheros, crime fighters, criminals who boldly evade crime fighters, etc. So, the culture lionizes physical accomplishment.

It’s paradoxical. Encouraging laziness while praising accomplishment is the surest way to breed low self-esteem and learned helplessness. Yet, the American culture has been doing that for the past 70 years or longer. It creates a very complacent society.

Don’t buy into that madness.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 3, 2018
Very true. I remember reading an article on Art of Manliness.com. It talked about a Magazine article from 1929 as Baseball was growing. It used a term called Spectatoritis. Instead of participating in a sport such as Baseball you can just sit and watch it instead. How interested culture shifts. At the same, the muscular masculinity movement came to be inciting that "real men are constantly active."

In the 60's JFK proposed his JFK Challenge suchas this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

that the La Salle High School was a test school but unfortunately never came to be because he got assassinated.

https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpaper/3840x2160/5321-Socrates-Quote-No-man-has-the-right-to-be-an-amateur-in-the-matter.jpg

OP
OP
N

natew

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Very true. I remember reading an article on Art of Manliness.com. It talked about a Magazine article from 1929 as Baseball was growing. It used a term called Spectatoritis. Instead of participating in a sport such as Baseball you can just sit and watch it instead. How interested culture shifts. At the same, the muscular masculinity movement came to be inciting that "real men are constantly active."

that the La Salle High School was a test school but unfortunately never came to be because he got assassinated.

https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpaper/3840x2160/5321-Socrates-Quote-No-man-has-the-right-to-be-an-amateur-in-the-matter.jpg
Thank you for that. I believe Kennedy also said that kids were only exercising to get up and change channels.

So, what’s happened is that we have a heightened need to combat that desire to “collapse” into a comfort zone (if you will). People claim that, in my part of the country, everybody’s crazy about health, diet and fitness. It’s not true. A small number of people take those things seriously, and they get attention; most want to sit back and do...very little. Or, to be fair, most find it very hard to resist the overwhelming cultural push for comfort. Also, old habits are hard to break.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
What are people supposed to watch? Other people doing amazing things: athletes, superheros, crime fighters, criminals who boldly evade crime fighters, etc. So, the culture lionizes physical accomplishment.

It’s paradoxical.
Kinda like loving jobs, demanding jobs, and wanting jobs, but hating the businesses and entrepreneurs that provide them?

Imagine a world where babies and toddlers are adored and wanted, but the mothers that create them are vilified.

We're there now: Welcome to the new world order, a modern day idiocracy.

OP
OP
N

natew

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Kinda like loving jobs, demanding jobs, and wanting jobs, but hating the businesses and entrepreneurs that provide them?

Imagine a world where babies and toddlers are adored and wanted, but the mothers that create them are vilified.

We're there now: Welcome to the new world order, a modern day idiocracy.
Outlawing billionaires? Wanting everything to be free, with no understanding that somebody - somewhere - must pay for it??

The few. The proud. The Unscripted.

OP
OP
N

natew

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

The TV/entertainment providers are pushing immediate comfort, at the expense of long-term results and real benefit.

Getting up early to study or exercise? Naw, just stay up late watching pointless garbage and then sleep late too.

My business is coming along slowy but surely, picking up steam because of those early mornings that I prefer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Thanks JP and great to see this project completed. I hope it gets your biz a bunch of new sales...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock