The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stories

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
I’ve been thinking about how Frankenstein and David copperfield were released in sections rather than a final published work, and I half wonder if that could be a really cool thing you revive. Something similar to where every month, a new letter or piece of the story is sent in the mail to subscribers and maybe props or little mementos from the story too.
Idk. Seems like an interesting idea, but I don’t know how feasible it is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
This actually sounds like a cool idea if you have the capability to stick with the production schedule and have the ability to release it into tumbleweed rolling by for awhile. If it was epic content that keep readers on the edge of their seats maybe a round one production at a loss will hook them in and the second book as a sequel or something could bring some cheddar. Best bet is like 6 chapters in you get local media coverage and a bunch of nerds roll in.

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
This actually sounds like a cool idea if you have the capability to stick with the production schedule and have the ability to release it into tumbleweed rolling by for awhile. If it was epic content that keep readers on the edge of their seats maybe a round one production at a loss will hook them in and the second book as a sequel or something could bring some cheddar. Best bet is like 6 chapters in you get local media coverage and a bunch of nerds roll in.
I could keep with the schedule if I had someone that was good at writing. So far I made a concept of it, but I am not a very good author, so I would need someone willing to write good content without much concrete assurance that they’ll get much pay out of it. Either that, or I use something like fiver to make content.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I could keep with the schedule if I had someone that was good at writing. So far I made a concept of it, but I am not a very good author, so I would need someone willing to write good content without much concrete assurance that they’ll get much pay out of it. Either that, or I use something like fiver to make content.

I think the allure of writing is the control aspect. Sure you need to outsource the cover and editing, but to have to outsource to Fiver the actual writing on a long-term project has some pretty serious control issues. Also will the book solve anyone's problems? If not better be one amazing story that gets press coverage of some sort telling others to read it.

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
I think the allure of writing is the control aspect. Sure you need to outsource the cover and editing, but to have to outsource to Fiver the actual writing on a long-term project has some pretty serious control issues. Also will the book solve anyone's problems? If not better be one amazing story that gets press coverage of some sort telling others to read it.
You’re right. But I don’t see any way that this format could give you a good self-development book.

So it sounds like the only problem it would be solving is boredom.

And I doubt major press coverage would come around for a hot second, so most of the advertising would be door to door or online ads.

Sadly I don’t know the first thing about hooking an audience with an epic story that keeps them on the edge of their seats... my old 9th grade teacher was an author, maybe I could talk to her. Lol

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
You’re right. But I don’t see any way that this format could give you a good self-development book.

So it sounds like the only problem it would be solving is boredom.

And I doubt major press coverage would come around for a hot second, so most of the advertising would be door to door or online ads.

Sadly I don’t know the first thing about hooking an audience with an epic story that keeps them on the edge of their seats... my old 9th grade teacher was an author, maybe I could talk to her. Lol

I think it would have to be a suspenseful story, maybe with a hero that inspires others. It would have to start door to door with friends and family. While many would roll their eyes, you would get some takers to check it out. But that would be hard as they would want to support you as an author, not an outsourcer.

I like your original idea though of the monthly droppings of the book. Would be interesting to see an author with a big following do something like that.

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
I think it would have to be a suspenseful story, maybe with a hero that inspires others. It would have to start door to door with friends and family. While many would roll their eyes, you would get some takers to check it out. But that would be hard as they would want to support you as an author, not an outsourcer.

I like your original idea though of the monthly droppings of the book. Would be interesting to see an author with a big following do something like that.
You think it could be a service that I sold to successful authors? Like. They have their books, but then I say that I’ll do all the work to ship out those monthly releases?

Not that I think it would be easy to get successful authors hooked on the model, but we’re talking in theory here.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
You think it could be a service that I sold to successful authors? Like. They have their books, but then I say that I’ll do all the work to ship out those monthly releases?

Not that I think it would be easy to get successful authors hooked on the model, but we’re talking in theory here.

It may be a tough sell as most authors look at their books like its their baby and some guy chopping it up may not be very appealing. You would need a proven model that you executed and to get a successful author to do it would probably be impossible and with unknowns the burden will be you to market and that is the hardest part of being an author so looking at a chicken and egg situation. But if were able to set up a distribution channel that moved books than poof you are solving a problem there, but to get to it would be pure hell and hope you got deep pockets.

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
It may be a tough sell as most authors look at their books like its their baby and some guy chopping it up may not be very appealing. You would need a proven model that you executed and to get a successful author to do it would probably be impossible and with unknowns the burden will be you to market and that is the hardest part of being an author so looking at a chicken and egg situation. But if were able to set up a distribution channel that moved books than poof you are solving a problem there, but to get to it would be pure hell and hope you got deep pockets.
Thanks for the input. I think I’m gonna keep thinking this over since it seems like an interesting business opportunity

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.