The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Recommended digital marketing/growth tools

Marketing, social media, advertising

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
Does anyone have any experience using third party sites to monitor SEO/keywords/traffic etc.?

I'm talking about things like hubspot, semrush, moz, etc.
They are expensive - do they deliver? Or is it all just glorified stats that don't make a difference?

Does anyone have any favourites?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Does anyone have any experience using third party sites to monitor SEO/keywords/traffic etc.?

I'm talking about things like hubspot, semrush, moz, etc.
They are expensive - do they deliver? Or is it all just glorified stats that don't make a difference?

Does anyone have any favourites?
As with all metrics, it depends on what you're going to do with them. If you're looking for basic insights, you will be able to get away with using google analytics, google search console and a free account at MOZ.

How are you planning on using the metrics? Are you just looking to get an overview as to where you stand or are you looking for actionable data?

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
How are you planning on using the metrics? Are you just looking to get an overview as to where you stand or are you looking for actionable data?

That's the thing. I already use analytics and search console for my own site and client sites (I'm a freelance developer). However, I'm looking at taking over a bigger directory/hub online that is in need of some serious updating and SEO work.

Actionable data is definitely what I'm after :)

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
That's the thing. I already use analytics and search console for my own site and client sites (I'm a freelance developer). However, I'm looking at taking over a bigger directory/hub online that is in need of some serious updating and SEO work.

Actionable data is definitely what I'm after :)

OK. I have a strong preference for MOZ to track SEO results. You can set-up keywords to track, and keep an eye of your positions etc.

You will also be able to do in-depth analysis on your competition through MOZ (site explorer). It will give you a view as to what their authority is like, where they are getting backlinks from and other insights.

Again, it will all come down to what you're trying to do. With analytics, you will always be combining multiple sources to come to the best possible answer. Can you outline what you will be looking to do with the directory/hub?

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
Again, it will all come down to what you're trying to do. With analytics, you will always be combining multiple sources to come to the best possible answer. Can you outline what you will be looking to do with the directory/hub?

Thank you. I will look at moz. Competitor research is so valuable. The others do a trial so I will sign up for all three and see what's useful, I think.

The directory needs bringing back to life and then growth. It has a few hundred enhanced (paid) listings at present, but is fading mainly due to neglect.

It's early days, and all under negotiation (owner is selling). We'll see what happens, but I'll update in progress. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Thank you. I will look at moz. Competitor research is so valuable. The others do a trial so I will sign up for all three and see what's useful, I think.

The directory needs bringing back to life and then growth. It has a few hundred enhanced (paid) listings at present, but is fading mainly due to neglect.

It's early days, and all under negotiation (owner is selling). We'll see what happens, but I'll update in progress. Thanks for your input.

Ok. So with the limited amount of information, I would do this:

- Google analytics: basic view on traffic / totals
- Google search console: 404s, position/CTR for all keywords
- Google keyword planner: get insights on what keywords you should be aiming for
- Google trends: same as above
- SEOSitecheckup.com: quick view on SEO. Free option.
- MOZ: track keyword performance over time, track progress on the SEO experiments you do (e.g. changing the meta / title for any given page)
- WhatRunsWhere.com: steal all paid advertising campaigns from competitors

You also mentioned hubspot so if you're looking into email marketing, check-out the following:
- Mailcharts.com: steal all email flows from competitors. Use the abstractions to create your own funnels.
- Drip.co: easy way to setup email marketing on a budget.

At the end of the day it all comes down to preferences between MOZ, Ahrefs, Raven SEO, Semrush, Majestic.

Easier to think through what you plan to measure and how you plan to act upon it. Once you figure that out, you will be in a better place to pick a tool.

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
Thank you - that's brilliant [emoji846].

Fingers crossed it all amounts to something, lol!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.