The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product Storage, Warehouse Rental

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

lockade12

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 28, 2020
Looking into starting a vending business and researching the proper permits and licenses for such adventure. Looks like I will need a food permit in order to vend food products. Makes sense. However it looks like I will need a warehouse type location with running water to store my stock. Is this true? If so is there ways around this? Renting warehouse space is a big hit in profits for a vending company.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Are you in the US?

You might want to look into a sub-lease/rent share with a company that already rents a warehouse ... instead of renting an entire warehouse, you rent a small space (say 100 square feet) in a warehouse already leased by another company, a company with room to spare.

I think @AllenCrawley does this.

lockade12

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 28, 2020
Are you in the US?

You might want to look into a sub-lease/rent share with a company that already rents a warehouse ... instead of renting an entire warehouse, you rent a small space (say 100 square feet) in a warehouse already leased by another company, a company with room to spare.

I think @AllenCrawley does this.
Yes, I'm in the U.S.

Thank you for the advice. I'll check into it.

Does anybody know what current vending business owners do?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Looking into starting a vending business and researching the proper permits and licenses for such adventure. Looks like I will need a food permit in order to vend food products. Makes sense. However it looks like I will need a warehouse type location with running water to store my stock. Is this true? If so is there ways around this? Renting warehouse space is a big hit in profits for a vending company.
Every location has different health rules. Some rules are from the states and some are from local agencies. It also depends IF you are vending prewrapped foods. And IF you are handling meats, dairy products, or products that need to be in a fridge. Cutting meats require Federal oversight from the FDA and FDA approved kitchen. Making sandwiches in my area takes a different State approved kitchen. Making coffee in an espresso bar takes another limited license with a specific kitchen set-up. Running a food truck in many locations takes an affiliation with an approved service yard. There are many different levels of licensing with the associated rules.

What is your business model and where are you going to do it? You must know the rules and how they are applied. I have an espresso bar in my office where I can sell prewrapped foods. (I have a limited food license from my state.) If I sell a cookie that I bake in my tabletop oven, the fine is $5,000. The same for making and selling a sandwich. You sure don't want a "got-ya" moment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
After I posted I thought of something funny. I have an old friend who had a vending business on the side. They vended condoms in restrooms located in bars. They had a steady little side gig. They owned the machines, filled, and serviced them. The bar got a cut of the profits.

I have two vending machines in my self-service Laundromat. One vends candy/crackers/pastries/chips and the other sodas. It's a steady dribble of money. I refilled the candy machine tonight when we closed the facility. My husband rolled the coins over the last couple of days and we took them to the bank today. (We have a coin counter which saves a lot of headaches.) I order parts for the machines and my husband fixes them when they need servicing. Both need power and the sodas are chilled. Since I own the machines, the associated business, and the building, having the machines works for me.

lockade12

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 28, 2020
After I posted I thought of something funny. I have an old friend who had a vending business on the side. They vended condoms in restrooms located in bars. They had a steady little side gig. They owned the machines, filled, and serviced them. The bar got a cut of the profits.

I have two vending machines in my self-service Laundromat. One vends candy/crackers/pastries/chips and the other sodas. It's a steady dribble of money. I refilled the candy machine tonight when we closed the facility. My husband rolled the coins over the last couple of days and we took them to the bank today. (We have a coin counter which saves a lot of headaches.) I order parts for the machines and my husband fixes them when they need servicing. Both need power and the sodas are chilled. Since I own the machines, the associated business, and the building, having the machines works for me.
Yes, I don't want to get caught in a got-ya moment.

I would be vending in the Central Florida area. The items vended would be prepackaged TCS foods. Could I get a Mobile Food Establishment permit and store my products in the vehicle vs. a permitted warehouse?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.