The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Online Book Arbitrage

Oct 25, 2018
Is it possible to earn a living ($60,000/year) with online book arbitrage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Seems like a lot of work and effort for just $60,000. Just remember, it takes as much effort to sell 10 things for $10 each and make $100 as it does to sell 1 thing at $100 to make $100.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 7, 2015
The margins are likely to be tiny. You'll have to shift a LOT of books to make $60,000.

Kak

Who is John Galt?
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Is it possible to earn a living ($60,000/year) with online book arbitrage?

This is an entrepreneur forum. This forum is about freeing ourselves from the time/money exchange and increasing our resources FAR beyond figures like $60k per year.

Book "arbitrage"? Please.

lowtek

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
This is an entrepreneur forum. This forum is about freeing ourselves from the time/money exchange and increasing our resources FAR beyond figures like $60k per year.

I've got a buddy that works for a guy that does this on an industrial scale. At the end of the semester, they do book buybacks at universities, buying back 50k of books in a single week. During the semester he sends his minions out to universities within a few states to buy books from faculty. The key to all of it is that the publishers themselves buyback a good portion of the books, since they're usually pushing out another version within a few months. The rest they sell on Amazon.

From what I understand the dude profits multiple 6 figures from this little scheme, and it's relatively low effort.

Not to encourage the OP, but just wanted to keep with the theme of unsexy businesses that do well.

Reactions: Kak
OP
OP
A
Oct 25, 2018

The goal isn’t to limit myself, but rather make sure that I can at least make a living.

Also, an entrepreneur is a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.

Also, eat a dick.

lowtek

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
The goal isn’t to limit myself, but rather make sure that I can at least make a living.

Also, an entrepreneur is a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.

Also, eat a dick.

Damn, snowflake. Why does someone who is pushing you towards thinking bigger trigger you so hard?

Sure, his post was a little dismissive, but you could call him out on that without resorting to school yard tactics.

As I said, I've got a buddy that does this. It's quite a lot of work for the individual. He's constantly traveling to universities across a few states, and has to worry about the faculty calling campus security to bounce him. The only one who really makes money is his boss.

If you want to just earn a living, you're better off getting a job making $20-25 an hour than you are trying to hustle books. Very few things on Earth depreciate as fast as books.

Kak

Who is John Galt?
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011

Also, eat a dick.

Do yourself a favor and start your job search. You clearly can't handle the adult table.

Amazon has almost 100% consumer awareness. The books are frequently less than it costs to print one. Sometimes even a penny. What the hell is your plan? Undercut that? How? Are you going to rob a library?

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Can confirm it myself. Tried it with college textbooks. Bad.
The price war gets alarming as time goes by.

As I said, I've got a buddy that does this. It's quite a lot of work for the individual. He's constantly traveling to universities across a few states, and has to worry about the faculty calling campus security to bounce him. The only one who really makes money is his bos
Huh? Can't he get a license from the university or have an unofficial meetup for students at a nearby cafe. Hook them up on FB? I did the latter and no one came to chase me away lol.

Do yourself a favor and start your job search. You clearly can't handle the adult table.

Amazon has almost 100% consumer awareness. The books are frequently less than it costs to print one. Sometimes even a penny. What the hell is your plan? Undercut that? How? Are you going to rob a library?
Not to forget that we have torrent. Reddit has lots of recommendations for pdf sites. I spotted top books like Perry Marshall's 80/20 and Breakthrough Advertising for free on oceanofpdf until the publishers got the higher-ups to shut it down lol.

So people are already robbing libraries...online.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom