The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mobile Connectivity for Laptop - Any Suggestions?

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
I need connectivity for a laptop while I travel and I'm often not near Wifi (public or otherwise).

I was in a similar situation about five years ago and was issued a Verizon 'MiFi' but that was back in the days of 3G so speed wasn't great.

Any suggestions for laptop connectivity now? I've got 4G coverage most of the day so curious if using my iPhone as a hotspot is any good? Have the Mifi/Jetpack solutions improved? What do you pay per month for unlimited data?

Uses during the day will mostly be basic web applications, small (documents) uploads/downloads to DropBox and the like. Nothing intense. Using my own hotspot (that I'll hide) will also allow me to avoid a VPN for most of the day.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fukuokasan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jan 8, 2016
Spain
I need connectivity for a laptop while I travel and I'm often not near Wifi (public or otherwise).

I was in a similar situation about five years ago and was issued a Verizon 'MiFi' but that was back in the days of 3G so speed wasn't great.

Any suggestions for laptop connectivity now? I've got 4G coverage most of the day so curious if using my iPhone as a hotspot is any good? Have the Mifi/Jetpack solutions improved? What do you pay per month for unlimited data?

Uses during the day will mostly be basic web applications, small (documents) uploads/downloads to DropBox and the like. Nothing intense. Using my own hotspot (that I'll hide) will also allow me to avoid a VPN for most of the day.

I used my phone like a hotspot for conecting a labtop and its works find for web posting for example, using 3G. Im in Spain, 25 Gb for 28€ with unlimited phonecalls

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017

I travel a lot. I am often surprised by how good my phone as a hotspot actually works. If you got 4g/LTE connection then you are golden. If you travel abroad then check your phones capabilities to operate in the country you are visiting. You might need to call your provider for a global plan to allow it to work.

Also this works for me. Often when going to China, or other countries with deeper regulations, I will just get a portable MiFi or something often available in the airport at your destination. You can get one cheap and with some prepaid bandwidth. Bring a portable VPN with you (Amazon has several for sell) and you can usually do some decent work. Most countries have better connectivity than in the states.

Also regardless if you buy a device, or use your own plan.. Be sure to check your data use and keep it under whatever threshold you have if you don't have Unlimited. Specially if you are overseas. The overage costs are a bear.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.