The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kamiwaza: If the gods are us, then do we dare be as the gods are?

Anything related to matters of the mind

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Listened to an inspiring talk by Seth Godin and learned of a new term: Kamiwaza. It's a beautiful concept and a powerful mindset shift, so I decided I'd share with the fam.

In Seth Godin's book, "The Icarus Deception", Godin writes:

Superman. Thor. Moses. Athena. George Gershwin. Thomas Edison -- they each represent part of what it is to be human; they are inside all of us. We know we are capable of this -- to be that strong or that cool or that generous. To persevere and connect and contribute the way our gods can -- that's why we invented them, why we revere them, and why they resonate with us. We have them inside, every day.
And yet we have no perfect word for expressing godlike abilities. We don't know how to talk about what it is to perform in a mythological way, to strip away the artifice and let the deity express itself.
And the Icarus Deception pushes us to avoid even thinking of it. it strikes deep into our psyche with a vivid warrning about the dangers of hubris.
Too late.
We've built a world where the only option is hubris, where the future belongs to anyone willing to act like the gods of our myths. Better coin a word for it.
The Japanese call it kamiwaza.
If the gods are us, then do we dare be as the gods are?
The Japanese term kamiwaza, like most great words for which we have no equivalent, is difficult to translate. The shortest version is "godlike."
So when we strip away self-doubt and artifice, when we embrace initiative and art, we are left with kamiwaza. The purity of doing it properly but without self-consciousness. The runner who competes with kamiwaza is running with purity, running properly, running as the gods would run.
How dare we? How dare we presume to ignore Daedalus, to fly close to the sun, to apparently forego humility in a quest for something unattainable?
How can we not dare?
Hubris makes us godlike, and being godlike makes us human.

This resonates very strongly with me and supports some of the notions I already knew, defined as being in state, or simply being present. But to embrace your inner consciousness as godlike is a fascinating way to think about it. Kamiwaza doesn't mean all-powerful and perfect. If the gods were perfect, there would be no point to the myths we tell. We tell them precisely because the gods aren't perfect -- they are merely bold. The value of art is in your willingness to stare down the risk and to embrace the void of possible failure.

After listening to the Seth Godin talk, I looked online and found the below blog. Most of the text above comes from this blog - giving cred where it's due.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JacksonRye

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 21, 2019
Listened to an inspiring talk by Seth Godin and learned of a new term: Kamiwaza. It's a beautiful concept and a powerful mindset shift, so I decided I'd share with the fam.

Superman. Thor. Moses. Athena. George Gershwin. Thomas Edison -- they each represent part of what it is to be human; they are inside all of us. We know we are capable of this -- to be that strong or that cool or that generous. To persevere and connect and contribute the way our gods can -- that's why we invented them, why we revere them, and why they resonate with us. We have them inside, every day.
And yet we have no perfect word for expressing godlike abilities. We don't know how to talk about what it is to perform in a mythological way, to strip away the artifice and let the deity express itself.
And the Icarus Deception pushes us to avoid even thinking of it. it strikes deep into our psyche with a vivid warrning about the dangers of hubris.
Too late.
We've built a world where the only option is hubris, where the future belongs to anyone willing to act like the gods of our myths. Better coin a word for it.
The Japanese term kamiwaza, like most great words for which we have no equivalent, is difficult to translate. The shortest version is "godlike."
So when we strip away self-doubt and artifice, when we embrace initiative and art, we are left with kamiwaza. The purity of doing it properly but without self-consciousness. The runner who competes with kamiwaza is running with purity, running properly, running as the gods would run.
How dare we? How dare we presume to ignore Daedalus, to fly close to the sun, to apparently forego humility in a quest for something unattainable?
How can we not dare?

This resonates very strongly with me and supports some of the notions I already knew, defined as being in state, or simply being present. But to embrace your inner consciousness as godlike is a fascinating way to think about it. Kamiwaza doesn't mean all-powerful and perfect. If the gods were perfect, there would be no point to the myths we tell. We tell them precisely because the gods aren't perfect -- they are merely bold. The value of art is in your willingness to stare down the risk and to embrace the void of possible failure.

After listening to the Seth Godin talk, I looked online and found the below blog. Most of the text above comes from this blog - giving cred where it's due.
This was really awesome man, thanks.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Too late.
How can we not dare?

I think you would really appreciate The American Scholar by Emerson. It fleshes out this idea in a much more expansive way, imho.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.