The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is owning a pet is animal cruelty? Here’s some reasons why it could be.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Is owning a pet bad for the animal?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • It depends on the owner.

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan Koretskyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Oct 2, 2021
Oregon, US
Owning a few companions are a nice thing to have, especially to receive a lot of love from them. However, there are some things that don’t sit well with me when it comes to owning pets. Here’s a list I compiled.

- Neutering an animal (males specifically) removes its masculinity.
- Tying a rope around its neck (a collar) to keep them near you removes its freedom to explore
- We generally buy animals for our intrinsic reasons. So typically we would to spend time with our companion 10-40% of the time, while the rest is left with them in isolation in our homes due work/business.
- Animals only loves us because we are their providers. We feed them and take care of them. Removing that will definitely not go well.
- We have full control of these animals. If they do not obey, we punish them, control them, and reprimand them.
- Removing them from the wilderness and into the comfort of our homes takes their freedom away.
- If we let an animal to their own devices, would they really choose to stay with you?

While I’m not some hardcore believer of owning an animal, knowing some of these things does make me uncomfortable if I ever choose to own a pet. I do believe people who own pets to acquire the feeling of companionship for their own self worth (Narcissism anyone?).

What do you believe about pet ownership? Do humans deserve it? Is owning a pet for selfish reasons cruel? Let me know what your thoughts are.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
I believe that men have rightful dominion over the animal kingdom. They are for us to use as we see fit. They have no right to exercise volition (as far as you believe animals even possess such a thing) other than what we grant them. So to answer, your question, no, I don't think owning a pet is wrong.

In regards to the concept of animal abuse, I consider animal abuse 1) An irresponsible use of animal resources and 2) actions indicative of a desire to hurt/kill humans, that is targeted at the thing "most similar" to humans. I wouldn't consider pet ownership falling into either of those categories

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Surely not.

Most of the cruelty are happening in the animal for food business.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Don’t know about you, but I haven’t met a single person with a dog that was taken “from the wilderness.” I do know some who have pet raccoons though so that’s funny

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Don’t know about you, but I haven’t met a single person with a dog that was taken “from the wilderness.” I do know some who have pet raccoons though so that’s funny

TqOboEL.gif

missinfinity98

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 25, 2021
I mean - we do have many dogs breeds, that are so modified, that the dogs developed many illnesses. Breeds crossing over the years made some of them have teeth problems etc. Personally, I plan to purchase a teacup dog and a friend told me that there are safer breeds

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I mean - we do have many dogs breeds, that are so modified, that the dogs developed many illnesses. Breeds crossing over the years made some of them have teeth problems etc. Personally, I plan to purchase a teacup dog and a friend told me that there are safer breeds
If they’re already alive and need care, adopting them as a pet is the best you can do for them

missinfinity98

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 25, 2021
If they’re already alive and need care, adopting them as a pet is the best you can do for them
Adopting is great, yet this type of dog today go usually as "luxury", high-priced dogs. I adore smaller dogs, but creating market demand doesn't help in reducing the reproduction of these breeds (my internal conflict in full glory haha)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you really want to start saving animals, you should stop eating them and stop worrying about them being cared for as pets. But I'm guessing with a post like this you are already vegan so I'm preaching to the choir.

Anyhow, threads like these aren't good for the forum as they are on par with religion and politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!