The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction

goldstein

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 31, 2017
Hello everyone,

First of all, I’d like to say thank you @MJ DeMarco for creating this forum and bringing all of these fine people together and giving everybody the opportunity to share powerful insights, tricks and the inspiration needed to follow the journey of entrepreneurship.

I got the millionaire Fastlane as a Christmas gift last year, but I hadn’t read it yet (I have a few on my list that I need to finish first, though, I am really impatient to read it!) . I am 23 and I come from Canada, more specifically, from Gatineau in the province of Québec. I have been an aspiring entrepreneur since I can remember! But, with that being said, I am not an entrepreneur yet. I still have a lot to learn on how to run a business and that is one of the main reason why I joined this forum. In fact, I have failed multiples attempts at starting business ventures. But, my worst 2 attempts almost happened in the same year.

The first tangible idea that I decided to try was to start my own plumbing business. After one semester in CEGEP (pre-university college in Québec) and being fed up with school, I decided to drop out. After 6 months of full time burger patty flipping at McDonald’s, I got a break and got hired full time by a plumbing company. While working on my apprenticeship and hoping one day to be officially licensed as a master plumber, I decided to invest for the first time in an entrepreneurial venture. Being 18, utterly stupid and naive, I invested 1K of my hard earned money in a pyramid scheme and lost it all. In fact, I was so ashamed that I continued to pay off monthly fees for the next 5 months. In total, I think I lost close to 3K (an additional 2K from the original 1K). It was a pretty nasty lost for an 18 year old kid, but I learned a very important lesson from that, never again will I invest in something that I don’t understand and if it’s too good to be true, it most definitely is! At that moment I thought to myself: “at least, I still have my plan A that is working for me”. Or, that’s what I thought... It wasn’t too long after that horrible mistake that my employer decided to lay me off after working there for 1 year and a month.

So, there I was, an unemployed 19 year old dropout with no directions and not a clue what to do next. I realized how it worked out in that industry and how much power those companies had over their apprentice’s destiny. Hence, I decided to let go of that idea and move on. Being away from school for almost 2 years, I decided that it wasn’t too late for me to go back. So, I enrolled back in CEGEP and graduated in autumn 2015. Since then, I have been pursuing a B.B.A degree with a concentration in entrepreneurship at the University of Québec in Outaouais. While I am still in school, in order to support myself, I am currently working part-time in a help desk office for the Government of Canada. I do not intend to stay at this job in the long term, since it’s a slow lane job and the potential for wealth is nearly impossible plus, my main goal is to emancipate myself from wage slavery. But, for now, being in school and all, it has helped me save close to 8K as a start-up capital fund and to do a ton of research on different business opportunities (college tuition in Québec are very cheap compare to the rest of Canada and the US. It goes as low as 1.5K per semester. Although, most of the programs are in French lol ). In my senior year, being in an entrepreneurial concentration, one of our final project will be to write a business plan. So, my plan so far is to leverage that time spent in class and working on that project to come up with a Fastlane business opportunity, partner up with one or two other students who are in other concentrations with complementary skills (such as accounting, finance, HR, etc..) and pursue that opportunity after graduation.

Anyway, that’s my story so far, thank you for reading this and I’m excited to be joining this community!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I have been an aspiring entrepreneur since I can remember! But, with that being said, I am not an entrepreneur yet. I still have a lot to learn on how to run a business and that is one of

Once you read the book(s), you'll learn one of my favourite lessons from within them: stop calling yourself an aspiring entrepreneur, and stop saying you aren't an entrepreneur yet. To do so is to treat projects as if they are likely, even bound, to fail.

I can't quote the line, but it goes something like "you either are an entrepreneur or you aren't; there's no middle ground. Own it and you'll be setting yourself up for success; hesitate and you are simply asking to fail."

Also, welcome, neighbour.

goldstein

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 31, 2017
Once you read the book(s), you'll learn one of my favourite lessons from within them: stop calling yourself an aspiring entrepreneur, and stop saying you aren't an entrepreneur yet. To do so is to treat projects as if they are likely, even bound, to fail.

I can't quote the line, but it goes something like "you either are an entrepreneur or you aren't; there's no middle ground. Own it and you'll be setting yourself up for success; hesitate and you are simply asking to fail."

Also, welcome, neighbour.

Thank you @C-Jay for the nice welcoming,

I will absolutely read the book . Also, from now on, I'll stop calling myself an aspiring entrepreneur!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your reading of TMF and helps guide you in some direction. Based on your intro, it doesn't look like you fear hard work or risk. Great mix to have.

Cheers
MJ

goldstein

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 31, 2017
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your reading of TMF and helps guide you in some direction. Based on your intro, it doesn't look like you fear hard work or risk. Great mix to have.

Cheers
MJ

Thank you @MJ DeMarco ,

I'm excited to read it! Also, thank you very much for your comment and taking the time to read my introduction. You'd be surprise to know the kind of discipline they teach at Mcdonald's when you're willing to learn and listen.

Cheers

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You'd be surprise to know the kind of discipline they teach at Mcdonald's when you're willing to learn and listen.

I view anyone who works at McDonalds as a badge of courage and commitment, a big positive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...