The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I unscripted because I had no other choice.

Shoot

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 13, 2021
Long time lurker, first time poster. Basically, I was kicked out of my high school in the 2000s and talked my way into working at the local newspaper. The work enchanted me and everyone knew I was going to be a writer. I became an excellent reporter and well-known in my hometown.

I don't have to tell you what happened. Financial crisis, the collapse of news, and particularly here in Australia the media let itself die for short-term profits. Fast forward a decade of odd jobs and bad pay, when those odd jobs didn't stiff me. I eventually became a counsellor (which is just like interviewing people for stories), got my diploma, and that very month the industry decided you now needed a Bachelor's and not just a diploma to get a job. I felt like I was in a scam. Another $20,000 and two years to work a job you already promised me? Yeah, next you'll be selling me a Nigerian principality. I went back to odd jobs.

In 2018, while I was recovering from having a piece of my spine removed, I read TMF and damn did it make sense to me. Since then I've been starting businesses and using them to achieve what I want. The news prepared me to network and negotiate, and counselling taught me to listen. I thrived at conferences. Here's what I do:

1) I sell information
2) I sell shovels

For example, I'm a writer. I didn't go to copywriter's conferences where everyone was looking for a business, I went to a business conference and told everyone I was a copywriter. This kept me afloat more comfortably than before, but I was working alone and people still stiffed me on pay. Startups were notorious for this.
I've worked and lived with disability, so I started a content mill where I gave people information about living with and around one. This got traction, and I showed it to people who might take care of the bean-counting and let me write all day as an employee. It worked, at 30 I got my first salaried job (did I mention no one would give me a salary until now?). That went great until the boss suddenly began badmouthing me to industry leaders and friends I hired, sending me 1 am abusive emails, and ordering me to breach the Covid lockdown to attend meetings. At a separate place, I interned for a guy who spoke in credible death threats followed by English.

That brings us to now. I've set up a consultation business, and honestly, I'm objectively in a world of shit. I'm not scared, it's just true that I'm playing this latest round on nightmare mode. I'm in Australia, unemployed in a pandemic, four of the jobs I saw today had illegally low pay, and the average house costs a million dollars no matter where you go. My partner needs a family soon and the real estate agency may be angling to kick us out, which they can do here whenever they want. As you talk to me, it becomes gradually clear that I'm autistic and have a well-hidden stutter, which is why so many people try to bully and screw me (and why I got kicked out of high school). I am surrounded by F*ck This Experiences. But as you've seen, I have a lot going for me.

I refuse to let myself be screwed again. The future that I and my loved ones want depends on me getting this right soon, so please bear with me while I absorb all your amazing knowledge. I'm here to learn. I'm going to be humble, ask questions, and try whatever it takes. I've been through some serious shit, I've lost everything multiple times, but I know I can make it.

Anyway, ask me anything. As I learn, I'd love to help however I can.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lloydlink^

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 11, 2021
Long time lurker, first time poster. Basically, I was kicked out of my high school in the 2000s and talked my way into working at the local newspaper. The work enchanted me and everyone knew I was going to be a writer. I became an excellent reporter and well-known in my hometown.

I don't have to tell you what happened. Financial crisis, the collapse of news, and particularly here in Australia the media let itself die for short-term profits. Fast forward a decade of odd jobs and bad pay, when those odd jobs didn't stiff me. I eventually became a counsellor (which is just like interviewing people for stories), got my diploma, and that very month the industry decided you now needed a Bachelor's and not just a diploma to get a job. I felt like I was in a scam. Another $20,000 and two years to work a job you already promised me? Yeah, next you'll be selling me a Nigerian principality. I went back to odd jobs.

In 2018, while I was recovering from having a piece of my spine removed, I read TMF and damn did it make sense to me. Since then I've been starting businesses and using them to achieve what I want. The news prepared me to network and negotiate, and counselling taught me to listen. I thrived at conferences. Here's what I do:

1) I sell information
2) I sell shovels

For example, I'm a writer. I didn't go to copywriter's conferences where everyone was looking for a business, I went to a business conference and told everyone I was a copywriter. This kept me afloat more comfortably than before, but I was working alone and people still stiffed me on pay. Startups were notorious for this.
I've worked and lived with disability, so I started a content mill where I gave people information about living with and around one. This got traction, and I showed it to people who might take care of the bean-counting and let me write all day as an employee. It worked, at 30 I got my first salaried job (did I mention no one would give me a salary until now?). That went great until the boss suddenly began badmouthing me to industry leaders and friends I hired, sending me 1 am abusive emails, and ordering me to breach the Covid lockdown to attend meetings. At a separate place, I interned for a guy who spoke in credible death threats followed by English.

That brings us to now. I've set up a consultation business, and honestly, I'm objectively in a world of shit. I'm not scared, it's just true that I'm playing this latest round on nightmare mode. I'm in Australia, unemployed in a pandemic, four of the jobs I saw today had illegally low pay, and the average house costs a million dollars no matter where you go. My partner needs a family soon and the real estate agency may be angling to kick us out, which they can do here whenever they want. As you talk to me, it becomes gradually clear that I'm autistic and have a well-hidden stutter, which is why so many people try to bully and screw me (and why I got kicked out of high school). I am surrounded by f*ck This Experiences. But as you've seen, I have a lot going for me.

I refuse to let myself be screwed again. The future that I and my loved ones want depends on me getting this right soon, so please bear with me while I absorb all your amazing knowledge. I'm here to learn. I'm going to be humble, ask questions, and try whatever it takes. I've been through some serious shit, I've lost everything multiple times, but I know I can make it.

Anyway, ask me anything. As I learn, I'd love to help however I can.
Thorium and Uranium. two shovels

Shoot

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 13, 2021
Thorium and Uranium. two shovels

Love it. Where I live, nuclear power has a very bright and sustainable future (but hopefully not too bright, right?)

That's quite a story ... welcome aboard and hope things start looking up for you.

Thanks! The thing is, by entrepreneurial standards, I'm actually in a good position. I know people here will have lost everything multiple times because that's just the nature of the market. Sometimes people don't end up needing your idea. And I'm surrounded by people who are in an even tougher spot than me -- I have no mortgage or kids, and unemployment has given me a wealth of time. In a crisis like this, new modes of support emerge and new community services rise (here it seems to all be in tech, infrastructure and, interestingly, law). I want to be part of the rebuild.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...