The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Set Up Online Business Within The EU - Need Help With Tax

Taxes and regulation

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 22, 2011
So I set up an online store using Shopify within an EU country and lately I have been seeing articles on taxes specifically for the EU and the U.K as well. Do I actually need to charge tax on products sold within the EU? I read some articles within Shopify and honestly this gets my head spinning in a thousand different directions. I honestly have no clue what to do. I tried to use an app that was supposed to help me with that, but I'm going in circles with the support, so I am hoping that someone can at least point me to an expert with regards to this issue. Otherwise, I will just prevent anyone within the EU to buy any of my products.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Paydette

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 14, 2021
So I set up an online store using Shopify within an EU country and lately I have been seeing articles on taxes specifically for the EU and the U.K as well. Do I actually need to charge tax on products sold within the EU? I read some articles within Shopify and honestly this gets my head spinning in a thousand different directions. I honestly have no clue what to do. I tried to use an app that was supposed to help me with that, but I'm going in circles with the support, so I am hoping that someone can at least point me to an expert with regards to this issue. Otherwise, I will just prevent anyone within the EU to buy any of my products.
Depends on what the item is, the amount the item costs and the volume you sell. VAT seems complicated but it really isn't. Think of it as basically import tax.

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 22, 2011
Depends on what the item is, the amount the item costs and the volume you sell. VAT seems complicated but it really isn't. Think of it as basically import tax.
Well, there are a lot of 'ifs', 'buts' and 'depends' when it comes to this topic. I am not equipped to understand those terms. I don't even understand what I should do when reading the instructions on articles because they have jargon that I can't simply wrap my head around.

simonhamburg

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 8, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Hey @Andreas , I am based in the EU with an academic background in business administration and have been working in e-commerce with cross border sales within the EU for the last years. The basic concept is that all EU countries have revenue limits in the xx k / year range, if you stay under them you do not need to charge tax, if you cross them you do and then also register this in each country, but there are some providers that can consolidate this for you. Maybe I can help you further if you send me some more details.

ragnarcallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Mar 25, 2020
London
Hi, I'm a qualified accountant. I have submitted numerous companies accounts in the UK. Let me know if you want some help/advice

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 22, 2011
So here are a few more details. As I said, this is a startup, so I only have a couple of sales, not a constant revenue stream.

My business is based in Cyprus and as far as I know, I have not used any U.K legal addresses, nor have I listed my bank info with Paypal for any country other than Cyprus, for my online business.

How much would it cost to configure taxes on Shopify with an expert? I understand everyone has a different price, but I want to make sure I am pursuing something I can afford now, otherwise I will keep the EU viewers from buying anything from my shop until I have the money to pay.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.