• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How I used SEO to create (and eventually sell) in a tough niche

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by Jason "GrandK", Jul 16, 2018.

1. Jason "GrandK"

Jason "GrandK" Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $200
    So, I thought long and hard over this post. I am not one to boast, nor do I care to have the spot light on me. However, UnScripted was a beautiful book and I knew it would help MJ draw together the kind of people I want to help. So here goes...

In 2010 I was working for a life insurance agency, similar to Policy Genius (but not policy genius). I was an inside sales guy. I had a law degree but my only experience was a three year internship. The guy I interned for said he could not afford to hire me (big time suck and smack in the face), so I graduated law school in 2009 and applied to 100s of firms, to no avail.

Anyway, I eventually applied for a life insurance sales gig because I needed a job. I figured my law degree might help me out. I was hired and went through training. I had prior experience in sales but I am the type of person who hates when his phone rings (which is ironic since that is when you make money in sales). I was a cubicle dweller and I was having serious doubts as to what my life would amount to.

You see, I went to law school to learn the rules of the game so I could be an entrepreneur, not a sales guy, particularly a life insurance agent (is that a step up from used car salesman?). Obviously I did not think too highly of life insurance. I did not own any and I never saw myself entering that marketplace.

Well, I am a guy who believes in Almighty Providence and so when I was hired at this life insurance agency I kept trying to figure out why. And about a year later I figured it out.

I had a client call in and ask some difficult questions. I ran a Google search and found a website that answered the question. I was impressed. The website was ran by a independent agent who focused on SEO. I spent the next year researching his site and any other SEO sites similar to his.

One day on a whim I sent him an email asking if he would be interested in teaching me some SEO skills. To my surprise he said sure, as long as he could use the information for future classes. It turns out he wanted to teach people how to do SEO for life insurance and I happened along at just the right time. Thank you Providence.

To make a very long story short, I studied hard. Learned from him all I could. Quit my JOB and started my own site. I managed to hold off through credit cards and loans from family and friends, but eventually I moved in with the in-laws. All to pursue my dream of creating my own agency.

Time passed. Three long years of countless hours spent perfecting my trade online and I finally had a site that made enough money to support my family. I moved out of the in-laws house and began to grow my site. All of this was strictly SEO. No black hat. No tricks. Just solid content.

The site was termlife2go.com. I have since sold the site for mid seven figures. It took 4.5 years to get there. I'm not bragging. This is simply what happened. I have a few other sites going right now.

In the end, I had a unique pitch and solid content. No tricks or gimmicks. I ranked for coveted keywords in one of the most competitive industries I know. So all this to say, if you have questions, please fire away. I will do my best to help you out.

2. MSpaz

MSpaz New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $37

3. MSpaz

Rep Bank:
    $37
    I produce a supplement product specifically a male enhancement product that i am trying to scale out. Its done over 6 figures and with virtually no money spent on marketing. I know its dumb. I want to get the sales up and sell. I have something else i want to pursue that will help end diabetes.
    I believe i can get the sales up to around 6 figures per month within a year with the right strategy. I am not a tech guy and just built a new website myself that is short and optimized. It will be ready to launch Sunday night.
    What ideas and tips could you share that i should implement? Any books, seminars, or courses i should take?
    I appreciate any input.
    Thank You!

Everyman likes this.
  4. MSpaz

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Great post! Thanks for sharing your story

Everyman likes this.
  5. Jason "GrandK"

Jason "GrandK" Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $200
    I consumed everything offered by Brian Dean at Backlinko.com. Neil Patel and Matthew Woodward are also great resources.

For me, the bottom line was always unique content. I tried to write in a way that connected with the reader and showed I was in their camp, not on the side of the carriers. I would write every main article that i wanted to rank for from a unique perspective. However, I would always try and include the same content as my competitors. That way I had the keywords Google wanted to see but also valuable content that was different than everyone else.

mikeyjd and Everyman like this.
  6. lludwig

lludwig Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,472
    How did you get the insurance affiliates? Why the company did you use? did you sell the insurance products yourself?

Everyman and minivanman like this.
  7. Jason "GrandK"

Rep Bank:
    $200
    I did not have affiliates. My goals was to get traffic and I figured if I could get good traffic, (i.e. relevant traffic, not clickbait), ways of making money would present itself (which it did).

The original plan was to use the leads for myself. That plan evolved overtime to sending leads to independent agents that I vetted based on loyalty and skill.

I did not chose a specific company. Companies differentiated themselves over time and my agents simply directed customers to those companies that showed themselves to be the best price, tech, customer service, etc.

Everyman, GSF and minivanman like this.
  8. lludwig

lludwig Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,472
    Ok, thanks for the info. Technically you did just not in the formal/traditional sense.

Everyman and minivanman like this.
  9. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,587
    So did someone approach you about buying your site or did you put it up for sale?

Everyman likes this.
  10. Jason "GrandK"

Rep Bank:
    $200
    Right. I did not seek them out but I had affiliates. When you have traffic
    Yes, I was approached by another company. I had some inquiries along the way but no one came to the table with an offer that I found properly valued the site. Then a big company came by and provided what I was looking for and made it easy to sell. They offered a valuation 4X revenue, which appeared to be the high end of the spectrum as far as valuation is concerned.

It was at a time when I felt that I had built the site out as much as one person could. I would have to start employing people eventually to help. The buyer came in at the right time with the right offer.

In the end, I discovered I like to build the site, the creative aspect. I don't like to manage the site though. I'd rather create multiple sites over my lifetime, sell and move on, then focus on building up one site and having to deal with the daily management required of a larger site. If I can avoid managing people it is better for me. Some people don't mind. I'm not that person.

Kid, Everyman, minivanman and 2 others like this.