The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Hi, everyone! I'm Lily, an ESL teacher. I was looking for some way out of the slow lane and found out that I am actually on the sidewalk.

Lily_L

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 7, 2024
Hi, everyone! I'm Lily, an ESL teacher living and working in Thailand. I was looking for some way out of the slow lane and found out that I am actually on the sidewalk. That sucks to realize. I finished the book just yesterday and can't stop feeling the bitter aftertaste of it. I see how much younger girls, experts in different fields, earn my salary in one working day, and I'm happy for them but unhappy for myself. I don't enjoy teaching and don't see myself doing all that teaching-related stuff (like courses, videos, etc.) in the future. But the problem is I can't do anything besides that, as all my life I have worked mostly in Asia as an ESL teacher. According to the book, I have to look for some problems/struggles/complaints that people have; however, I can't find anything worthy. I hope I will find some seeds of wisdom here. That's my introduction. Have a good day!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Hi, everyone! I'm Lily, an ESL teacher living and working in Thailand. I was looking for some way out of the slow lane and found out that I am actually on the sidewalk. That sucks to realize. I finished the book just yesterday and can't stop feeling the bitter aftertaste of it. I see how much younger girls, experts in different fields, earn my salary in one working day, and I'm happy for them but unhappy for myself. I don't enjoy teaching and don't see myself doing all that teaching-related stuff (like courses, videos, etc.) in the future. But the problem is I can't do anything besides that, as all my life I have worked mostly in Asia as an ESL teacher. According to the book, I have to look for some problems/struggles/complaints that people have; however, I can't find anything worthy. I hope I will find some seeds of wisdom here. That's my introduction. Have a good day!
Hello Lily and welcome. I'm a qualified teacher too and have done ESL/TEFL over the years, as well as regular school. Don't sell yourself short! Being a good teacher normally means you are skilled at: writing, time management, getting to the point of things quickly, working with other people, and giving feedback. Those are all very transferable skills. :)

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I have to look for some problems/struggles/complaints that people have; however, I can't find anything worthy.

I find that hard to believe. You can't find any problems in your day-to-day life as a teacher? I can think of a few and I'm not even in the profession.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
I find that hard to believe. You can't find any problems in your day-to-day life as a teacher? I can think of a few and I'm not even in the profession.
Like what (out of interest)?

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
Most of the advice you will receive will be along the lines of "what are you passionate about" and then build a business around that. This will work only if you can easily monetize your passion by identifying what people are struggling with in that area of interest and then providing solutions in the form of content or coaching.

Instead, see what is working now in 2024 by using Google, find something that matches your skills and learn how to make it work for you. If you take on a broad topic, such as self-improvement, there will be too much competition.

If you narrow your focus to a sub-niche within a larger niche, you can start by creating useful content and publishing it on a website, then supplement it with social media. With so much traffic available on social media platforms, you may not even need to create a website.

People earn money by posting content on YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, and Pinterest. Concentrate on one thing, start creating content, and build your business around it.

If you are an ESL teacher, your most valuable skill is the ability to teach, and online courses are in high demand right now. Learn how to create courses and sell them online. Browse sites like Udemy, Skillshare and others to get an idea of what is selling now.

jolinem

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 13, 2024
Most of the advice you will receive will be along the lines of "what are you passionate about" and then build a business around that. This will work only if you can easily monetize your passion by identifying what people are struggling with in that area of interest and then providing solutions in the form of content or coaching.

Instead, see what is working now in 2024 by using Google, find something that matches your skills and learn how to make it work for you. If you take on a broad topic, such as self-improvement, there will be too much competition.

If you narrow your focus to a sub-niche within a larger niche, you can start by creating useful content and publishing it on a website, then supplement it with social media. With so much traffic available on social media platforms, you may not even need to create a website.

People earn money by posting content on YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, and Pinterest. Concentrate on one thing, start creating content, and build your business around it.

If you are an ESL teacher, your most valuable skill is the ability to teach, and online courses are in high demand right now. Learn how to create courses and sell them online. Browse sites like Udemy, Skillshare and others to get an idea of what is selling now.
I like this answer, as I am seeking to do something similar. I am not a certified teacher, but I have many skills to share from raising a family as a stay home mom, running a small business, maintaining a small farm, and many self taught skills. I just need to find the way to connect the two now, as I am not at all familiar with creating content, or utilizing any of the online platforms.

jolinem

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 13, 2024
First of all never say "I can't" That will always block your efforts. Instead always ask how you CAN!

I am also in a frustrating situation learning new things, so I understand your feelings. I just never stop seeking, and I know I will find a way to become wealthy, and it will be something I enjoy, and enjoy helping others.
I am glad to have this forum, because whenever I DO get down and feeling like I have no direction, I jump on here to seek more answers and ideas from others. That alone is helping to move me forward.
Wish you the best!!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015

You already solve problems, people need to learn English for whatever reason, and you teach them. The only thing is you do it for a company who pay you a salary, right? So start by trying to get some private clients, maybe some well-to-do parents who want their children to learn English, or some diplomats.

Also, you live in a country with a very low cost of living, so don't compare your salary to western ones. Lastly, you are only on the sidewalk if you are spending more than you earn. Being in the fastlane isn't just about how you make your money, it's about how you spend it.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
You don’t have to solve problems just for your students, you can solve problems for other teachers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...