The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Hi all!

Matteo Zhou

New Contributor
Nov 5, 2018
Hi everyone,
long time lurker here, i'm 25 years old and i run a family company buying and selling leather.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Nelow

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
Welcome to the forum! :praise:
Mind sharing how your family got into the leather business?

Jeff Noel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Hi Matteo, welcome to the forum !
Do you want to keep it a family company or would you like to expand it further ?

OP
OP
M

Matteo Zhou

New Contributor
Nov 5, 2018
Sure, my parents started the company almost 20 years ago by selling synthetic leather imported from China(We live in Italy) than around 2008 the demand for synthetic leather was slowly decreasing, that's when we started selling real leather.
My interests are definitely by expanding the business. the main problem is definitely the mark up that is too low, so our main focus right now is to have cut some middleman out to do some work in-house.

Jeff Noel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Sure, my parents started the company almost 20 years ago by selling synthetic leather imported from China(We live in Italy) than around 2008 the demand for synthetic leather was slowly decreasing, that's when we started selling real leather.
My interests are definitely by expanding the business. the main problem is definitely the mark up that is too low, so our main focus right now is to have cut some middleman out to do some work in-house.
More work in-house means more time working and less time for marketing, unless you hire more people. I suggest you read the two books written by MJ. I didn't read them personnally yet, but I know from other threads here that it would benefit you (especially the CENTS principles).

OP
OP
M

Matteo Zhou

New Contributor
Nov 5, 2018
More work in-house means more time working and less time for marketing, unless you hire more people. I suggest you read the two books written by MJ. I didn't read them personnally yet, but I know from other threads here that it would benefit you (especially the CENTS principles).
yes, the intent is to hire more people too, yes i'm here to learn thank you for the advice, i'll definitely check it out

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom