The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Faster and Cheaper Alternatives to College - Art of Manliness podcast

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Podcast #449: Faster and Cheaper Alternatives to College

Every year the cost of a four-year college degree goes up, forcing young people to take on massive amounts of student debt for an education that often doesn’t even prepare them well for the jobs of today. My guest today argues that there’s a better, cheaper, and faster way to prepare for gainful employment.

His name is Ryan Craig, he’s the Managing Director of University Ventures, an investment firm reimagining the future of higher education, and the author of A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives to College. We begin our conversation discussing the disconnect between a college education and the job skills employers are looking for and why higher ed continues to get more expensive each year. Ryan then digs into alternative education models that include boot camps, income-share programs, and apprenticeships that are not only faster and more affordable than college, but also put an emphasis on real-life job skills.

Show Highlights
How we got to the point where a college education is the required norm for young adults
Why did employers start to use a college degree as a sorting mechanism?
The long-term effects of underemployment
Why has college become so expensive? Where is all that money going?
The student loan debt crisis (and the consequences of being in default)
Why isn’t the cost of college paying off like it use to?
What is a “last mile” program?
The importance of digital skills for today’s workforce
What a modern apprenticeship looks like
How do you choose between college and one of these alternative programs?
What should parents do? Should they still be saving for the kids’ college?
Where the state of higher education is heading in the next decade​

Podcast #449: Faster and Cheaper Alternatives to College | The Art of Manliness

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Second Act

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 7, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the tip. I used to listen to the AoM podcast religiously, but have fallen off the wagon - looking forward to hearing this episode.

I loved being a university student and I've spent the last ~ 20 years working at universities, but I think the tide is changing. As a product, the bachelor degree is increasingly looking like a relic from the past. Where is the ability to learn at your own pace, to mix and match and combine to suit your needs? In many areas, I it makes so much more sense for someone who is self-motivated to pick up the skills they need and demonstrate proficiency through producing and creating value, rather than an expensive certificate to pin on the wall.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Thanks for the tip. I used to listen to the AoM podcast religiously, but have fallen off the wagon - looking forward to hearing this episode.
Dude they cover so much good shit.. but I always forget he exists lol

I just followed it on Twitter for reminders because they cover everything

I loved being a university student and I've spent the last ~ 20 years working at universities, but I think the tide is changing. As a product, the bachelor degree is increasingly looking like a relic from the past. Where is the ability to learn at your own pace, to mix and match and combine to suit your needs? In many areas, I it makes so much more sense for someone who is self-motivated to pick up the skills they need and demonstrate proficiency through producing and creating value, rather than an expensive certificate to pin on the wall.
They’re all gonna be online. I think this will be the first successful one

Jordan Peterson is creating own online university to destroy college “indoctrination cults”/Marxism

Watch this, you’ll love it:

View: https://youtu.be/fIUajskvHB0

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Dude they cover so much good sh*t.. but I always forget he exists lol

I just followed it on Twitter for reminders because they cover everything

They’re all gonna be online. I think this will be the first successful one

Jordan Peterson is creating own online university to destroy college “indoctrination cults”/Marxism

Watch this, you’ll love it:

View: https://youtu.be/fIUajskvHB0
I think KahnAcademy is the best online education platform right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.