The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Family farms and other niches we are ignoring.

MickeyNicks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 13, 2018
Quick disclaimer: For the past few months, I’ve been researching something that may help small, independent family farms stabilize, grow, and prosper.

From my research (please tell me if I’m wrong) it seems that outside of things like Postmates or Grubhub, food logistics/networking is pretty nonexistent as it relates to actually connecting with the “real” people who are growing your food.

From your POV, what other niche industries that are being forced out by corporations + not receiving entrepreneurial support to give them a fighting chance towards independence?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I think family farming has comeback potential. There has been some press about it, including some interesting cases where "farmers" live the suburban life while maintaining a farm outside of town with automation, drones, and hired labor (I love stuff like that). The money is in the "local" and ethical/organic/etc movements.

One startup near me is changing the logistics on local beef. Instead of shipping them to the midwest for fattening, they are keeping them in Florida, selling them to Florida restaurants and distributors. As an investor and as someone who eats food (and doesn't see why my food HAS to be trucked all over the world) I'm interested in these kinds of developments.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Here's an interesting article I came across recently that might spark some ideas in this family farm niche. It all started with buying a domain name, then partnering up with a farm.

Once I began, I discovered there was a Vidalia Onion committee which represents all the Vidalia farmers. So I reached out to them.

They were kind enough to listen to me.

They introduced me to 3 farmers in the Vidalia region.

I got along quite well with the 3rd farmer I met (Aries Haygood), so we decided to partner & give this a shot. His farm had been around for 25 years; they hadn’t focused on direct-to-consumer; but they understood its value. They operated a packing shed as well. And most importantly, they grew an award winning Vidalia.

And so we went.

JessePust

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 2, 2019
As a sustainable farmer myself a huge issue is education to restaurants that only want to buy the cheapest possible foods and sell them at the highest possible margins. I get it but that’s just not our market right now. I sell to people that care about the way their food is raised, processed, and sold. Currently our success comes from farmer’s markets or people buying on our web site and picking up at the farm. We have a niche but in my opinion it’s a big niche that could prosper from better communication processes between farmer and consumer. People want pasture meats but don’t know how to find it.

Jesse Pust
Fallowfield Farms

MickeyNicks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 13, 2018
I may be wrong, but I think initally it would make the most sense to target the individual consumer over the restauranteur. I agree with your implication that restaurants are interested in consistency and price over quality although I don't think they'd ever admit it.

As a sustainable farmer myself a huge issue is education to restaurants that only want to buy the cheapest possible foods and sell them at the highest possible margins.

JessePust

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 2, 2019
I agree. I tried marketing to restaurants, not worth the time in my opinion. We’ve been looking into expanding into shipping our products directly to consumers. Spent a lot of time researching already and have much more to do before I pull the trigger on that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.