The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does this break the monogamy rule?

Harman

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Mar 5, 2021
Mesa, Arizona
My business is in SEO and digital marketing and while I'm newer to the game, things are ramping up for me and my business partner.

Earlier this week a friend-of-a-friend approached me asking if I would be game to build out a fairly simple web app for him, I don't know him from Adam but my buddy mentioned that this guy is doing pretty well and that he's willing to pay up to $10k for the job.

I have the skill and know-how to build stuff like this, although it would take me some time to get familiar with the APIs he's using, I'd say the job would take 2 to 3 months to complete.

Since the job doesn't fall under the SEO/marketing umbrella does this break MJ's monogamy rule? What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It doesn't fall under the SEO/marketing umbrella but it does fall under helping people.

And since you have the skills, know-how, willingness and (I assume) capacity to do it (it doesn't jeopardize the growth of your business), why not do it?

Harman

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Mar 5, 2021
Mesa, Arizona
Thanks for the reply @MTF. That's kind of my reasoning as well.

My only real concern is the possibility that this could be one of those nightmare projects that ends up taking twice as long to complete and spirals out of control.

I've set up a meeting with the guy to flesh out the full scope of the project, his expectations and what-not. I'm basing my initial projection for time-to-complete based on the elevator pitch he gave me during our first interaction.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps it may lead you into a ADJUSTMENT for your business? (3A / Pivot?)

Not sure I'd label it polygamy.

I've set up a meeting with the guy to flesh out the full scope of the project, his expectations and what-not.

Excellent plan -- that way you can determine if it works to your advantage.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.