The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Connect the world with bicycle paths - for a healthy, happy, peaceful and prosperous world

D

Deleted85763

Do you think it's possible we could connect everywhere in the world with dedicated bicycle paths? The benefits would pay for themselves many times over. I believe there needs to be a major change in mindset in just how possible this and the incredible benefits, not just to the earth in greatly reduced air pollution but to individual health in many respects, both physical and mental that would follow.

I bicycle everywhere - to the store, to the doctor, to visit family, etc., up and down hills up to 6 miles away and for a number of months it's very in hot (90F) and humid (70 F dew point - miserable) weather. I will agree that in these conditions it is not so enjoyable but it is far more enjoyable than riding in a car! When it's below 80F it is heaven!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
No, because this is only feasible in small, urbanized, flat regions, like the Netherlands.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
No. For a few reasons:

-People are lazy. You may enjoy riding your bike everywhere, but most people don't

-The above is reason enough, but a lot of people live in the suburbs, where you basically need a car to get around in most cases. Is this ideal? I'm not sure. But I do believe you should have a relatively safe option to travel fairly short distances without using a car.

-Last, I'm not sure if you're being hyperbolic, but if you think that being able to ride your bike to work will lead to a "peaceful and prosperous world", I have to assume you are somewhat naive. In what way would bike paths remove human greed, along with the slew of other human emotions and tendencies?

Believing that utopia is possible in and of it self is naive. And to suggest bike paths would somehow be a panacea to the flaws of human nature is preposterous.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
There are probably far fewer people who ride bikes everywhere than people who are willing to pay for building infrastructure on such a massive scale. It's a beautiful utopia but imagine the average person who already struggles to eat healthy and exercise regularly if told that he/she will now be paying for building bicycle paths worldwide...

Have you considered moving to the Netherlands or Denmark? Everyone rides bikes there!

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
No, but I believe society could benefit from a new iteration of the modern-day bicycle.

D

Deleted85763

No. For a few reasons:

-People are lazy. You may enjoy riding your bike everywhere, but most people don't

-The above is reason enough, but a lot of people live in the suburbs, where you basically need a car to get around in most cases. Is this ideal? I'm not sure. But I do believe you should have a relatively safe option to travel fairly short distances without using a car.

-Last, I'm not sure if you're being hyperbolic, but if you think that being able to ride your bike to work will lead to a "peaceful and prosperous world", I have to assume you are somewhat naive. In what way would bike paths remove human greed, along with the slew of other human emotions and tendencies?

Believing that utopia is possible in and of it self is naive. And to suggest bike paths would somehow be a panacea to the flaws of human nature is preposterous.
I'm not saying that a world-wide bicycle infrastructure in itself will automatically lead to peace and prosperity. I'm saying that there is very strong evidence that it can and has proven it does. If you look at places where comprehensive bicycle infrastructure exists you will see peace and prosperity and happiness. In fact Denmark, one of the bicycle countries, if consistently rated as the happiest country in the world. How can you not be happy riding a bicycle? Obviously there is a lot more to it (like social services, culture, etc.) but I believe that it is a major positive step forward for the world.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It would only work here for 4 or 5 months out of the year. Our Alaskan winters aren't very friendly to biking. I have a bike path on the other side of the highway that runs along the front of my property. We have a real challenge just trying to keep the highway and streets clear for vehicle traffic during a good part of the year. I'm sitting here watching the snow come down hard out of my window right now. Yelp. It's definitely winter now.

D

Deleted85763

It would only work here for 4 or 5 months out of the year. Our Alaskan winters aren't very friendly to biking. I have a bike path on the other side of the highway that runs along the front of my property. We have a real challenge just trying to keep the highway and streets clear for vehicle traffic during a good part of the year. I'm sitting here watching the snow come down hard out of my window right now. Yelp. It's definitely winter now.
Not everywhere would be accessible year round but much of the world would be.

A

Anon3x156

My a$$ sweats every time I ride a bike, no way I'm doin a world tour with a wet a$$

ijack

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 27, 2021
Well, the choice depends on several factors. and I guess your budget is the most important one.
Here are some tips on how to choose the right bike:
- get the right size (here I recommend checking this guide https://www.bіkertricks.com/bike-size-chart/ in the hope it will help)
- choose a wheel size
- choose hardtail or full-suss
- don't obsess about weight
- look for futureproof design
In my opinion, bikes like the Voodoo Bizango Pro, Norco Optic C2, Canyon Spectral 29 CF8, Forbidden Druid XT, or Mondraker Raze Carbon RR are great to start your mountain bike adventure.
thats's nice

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.