The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Biggest decision of my life

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
Hey Guys,

I’m new on FastlaneForum and I’m so happy i have found a such place, first let me introduce myself I’m a young entrepreneur from french and I’m 21years.

Lately, I’ve been throught different hardship on my life since I’ve announced my parent that I quit school, they’ve totally freaked out, my mothers says that because of me she now has tension.. I’ve been shocked of the importance they had for school, but no matter what I won’t drawback because I know what I want and I know it’s totally worth it .

As a solution for my dropout my parents proposed me to go abroad to learn english ( so don’t mind my faults) truth is I agreed because I wanted something new, in my life, I’ve only traveled once in my life it was at my parent homebirth and I’ve had a bad experience there.
I accepted their proposition because i was sick of my life who was boring moreover i’m a sun lover and i wanted to see something that will change my routine so for me this travel abroad was not a bad idea while for them it was an attempt to getting me back in the SCRIPT ( unfortunately for’em we don’t have the same thoughts about the trip)

Deal conclude with my parent, I have been advertised by an organization named Education First whose proposing studying abroad in their school locate in different places, I’m passing the details but at the end I’ve taken their 6 months program in Dubai to learn english, at this moment I was happy just to think that I’ll be there soon ( my departure is in September).

The fact is there is a problem that makes me uncomfortable the price of the travel is more than 12,000€... my mother say she would pay and it’s not a problem but for me just thinking that my mother is willing that amount for me makes me feeling bad because one of my objectives as an entrepreneur is to help my mother and yet she is the one helping me..

The fact I truly want to go abroad no matter where it is since there is sun and low cost living it will be ok for me, so here’s my question do you think that 6 month travel is worth it knowing that i’ll meet new ppl I’ll finally have full time sun and feeling in a better place but the idea that my mother had to pay 12,000€ is pissing me off, truth is I want to make it alone too because I think it will be more relevant for me and my growth as entrepreneur so I was thinking if they were another way like moving on my own in a new country abroad and just do all by myself and really start my growth.

So I want to ask you does any of you have already been in this situation ?
Does any of you has some advices ?
Does any of you have a place to share for a french who want all year and low cost living and is ready for any kind of jobs ?
Do you think that going by my own,by myself will a better experience than going because of my mother ?
Or maybe cancel flights and begin entrepreneur at my hometown and once succeded thinking about traveling ?

I know that you’re stranger to me and that only I can make this choice, I don’t want you to say yes : (you should or no you should not) but rather exposes yours personal’s experience or your friends experience so that I’ll be able to take one of the biggest decision of my life.

Thanks for the reading it may have been long but I hope getting serious feedback from you :D.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
If you take the money from your mother - allow her to pay for the trip - you will owe her. Is that what you want?

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
If you take the money from your mother - allow her to pay for the trip - you will owe her. Is that what you want?
I want to get outside of that boring country and discover the world, but the idea of my mother paying is kind of irritating me, but maybe this’ll be a powerful fuel in my journey in entreprenarial world

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Lately, I’ve been throught different hardship on my life since I’ve announced my parent that I quit school, they’ve totally freaked out, my mothers says that because of me she now has tension..
Hardship: Equals choices you've made.
Tension: Equals how choices have a cause and effect on your family as a whole unit.
In this case you're talking about bringing more hardship on yourself by the amount of money you're borrowing for education, travel, and expenses.
This is learning how to borrow money and creating hardship in your life with fiances. Whether it's your mother, a bank, a business partner, a spouse, whenever your borrow money, you're forming a bad habit of depending on someone else for your survival, entertainment, pleasure, goals, and dreams.
There is nothing in this scenario that equals financial freedom by borrowing money.
I would advise you to listen to Dave Ramsey Video's, and not saying he's the ultimate guy out there to follow, but may have some valuable advice into how not to live your life by borrowing money and accumulating debt and more hardship.

While Traveling may be a goal, I would save the money and than travel. Pay your own way if you're adventurer and explorer.

There are various packages and deals for traveling. You can figure out your expenses just by doing research and saving enough money.
If you want to be an exchange student, there are various programs. Do your research.
In many cases they use fundraisers can be used if you do it correctly, legally, and affiliated with some type of legit group. There are usually scholarships sometimes for those in hardship with certain programs if you qualify and perhaps even your grade point average ties into this with schooling.

Really you have to have some sort of plan or idea of what you want to achieve while your abroad. What are you hoping to gain out of the experience? Education, work experience, entertainment, pleasure? These questions are worth investigating. How do you hope to support yourself financially while you're there? Do you need a student or work visa? Is their a particular company that is seeking out individuals like yourself in another culture which can give you the experience you hope to achieve?

Be focused and have an intent of getting something productive out of the experience versus not having any intention or agenda and bringing more hardship on yourself in the future.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qZ9CMbtDQA

Last edited:

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
There are other ways to travel & learn English--in fact, there are always more options than we first consider. For you, you might look at reputable companies who hire foreign students to work at U.S. resorts & national parks.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I want to get outside of that boring country and discover the world, but the idea of my mother paying is kind of irritating me, but maybe this’ll be a powerful fuel in my journey in entreprenarial world
If you let your mother pay for it, it will no longer be the powerful fuel it once was. Earn that money yourself. Or take a job that sends you to another place. Or...? use your imagination and find a way. But I don't think letting your mother pay is the answer.

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
If you let your mother pay for it, it will no longer be the powerful fuel it once was. Earn that money yourself. Or take a job that sends you to another place. Or...? use your imagination and find a way. But I don't think letting your mother pay is the answer.
I was thinking the same way but i was trying to lie myself .. thanks for your answer

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
There are other ways to travel & learn English--in fact, there are always more options than we first consider. For you, you might look at reputable companies who hire foreign students to work at U.S. resorts & national parks.
Thanks for your advice, I’ll start to really act as the entrepreneur I want to become.

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
Hardship: Equals choices you've made.
Tension: Equals how choices have a cause and effect on your family as a whole unit.
In this case you're talking about bringing more hardship on yourself by the amount of money you're borrowing for education, travel, and expenses.
This is learning how to borrow money and creating hardship in your life with fiances. Whether it's your mother, a bank, a business partner, a spouse, whenever your borrow money, you're forming a bad habit of depending on someone else for your survival, entertainment, pleasure, goals, and dreams.
There is nothing in this scenario that equals financial freedom by borrowing money.
I would advise you to listen to Dave Ramsey Video's, and not saying he's the ultimate guy out there to follow, but may have some valuable advice into how not to live your life by borrowing money and accumulating debt and more hardship.

While Traveling may be a goal, I would save the money and than travel. Pay your own way if you're adventurer and explorer.

There are various packages and deals for traveling. You can figure out your expenses just by doing research and saving enough money.
If you want to be an exchange student, there are various programs. Do your research.
In many cases they use fundraisers can be used if you do it correctly, legally, and affiliated with some type of legit group. There are usually scholarships sometimes for those in hardship with certain programs if you qualify and perhaps even your grade point average ties into this with schooling.

Really you have to have some sort of plan or idea of what you want to achieve while your abroad. What are you hoping to gain out of the experience? Education, work experience, entertainment, pleasure? These questions are worth investigating. How do you hope to support yourself financially while you're there? Do you need a student or work visa? Is their a particular company that is seeking out individuals like yourself in another culture which can give you the experience you hope to achieve?

Be focused and have an intent of getting something productive out of the experience versus not having any intention or agenda and bringing more hardship on yourself in the future.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qZ9CMbtDQA
Thank for your advices, i’ll real start thinking of what I really want.

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
Thanks to you all, I’m more confident about the way i should take : MY own way :D and not my parent’s ways after all this is my journey and not their ..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.