The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are Embassies and Consulates Good Middlemen For Exporting?

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 22, 2011
First, a little bit about the situation. I partnered up with a producer of high phenolic olive oil and long story short we found that this kind of product is rare to produce and in many countries around the world (Scandinavians, Eastern Europe and others) it cannot be produced at all, or at least not in good quality. Basically, our biggest trump cards are location and expertise.

We got a certification for the phenolic content because the rules and regulations say that the olive oil has to have certain amount of polyphenols in order to label it as high phenolic oil. The product is stored safely with a bottling facility ready to be sold to consumers or in bulk.

My question is, would it be a smart move to contact trade or commerce departments in my country to connect me to foreign importers, and if so, what should I take into account before doing that. I have not tried to contact wholesalers, retailers or agencies in the private sector yet, because I don't know how to pitch those products without being low balled despite the advantage in the product itself.

When I viewed the embassy websites for my country some of them were open and clear about the exporting side of things. I was wondering if these people can negotiate transport cost and help with import regulations and all that complicated paperwork that I have no clue how to deal with as well.

I asked one of them to get more information, but I wanted to ask if any of you guys have experience in that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted85763

First, a little bit about the situation. I partnered up with a producer of high phenolic olive oil and long story short we found that this kind of product is rare to produce and in many countries around the world (Scandinavians, Eastern Europe and others) it cannot be produced at all, or at least not in good quality. Basically, our biggest trump cards are location and expertise.

We got a certification for the phenolic content because the rules and regulations say that the olive oil has to have certain amount of polyphenols in order to label it as high phenolic oil. The product is stored safely with a bottling facility ready to be sold to consumers or in bulk.

My question is, would it be a smart move to contact trade or commerce departments in my country to connect me to foreign importers, and if so, what should I take into account before doing that. I have not tried to contact wholesalers, retailers or agencies in the private sector yet, because I don't know how to pitch those products without being low balled despite the advantage in the product itself.

When I viewed the embassy websites for my country some of them were open and clear about the exporting side of things. I was wondering if these people can negotiate transport cost and help with import regulations and all that complicated paperwork that I have no clue how to deal with as well.

I asked one of them to get more information, but I wanted to ask if any of you guys have experience in that.
I have some experience. Generally they will have lists of importers from many countries but they take no responsibility for the information. Some importers may be good business contacts, others may not. It's up to you to get things going. It can be a good resource, like others.

I have heard of though one state government that arranged the sale of a large inventory of produce from the US to Asia. I don't know how common this is for them to get that involved, but if they can they should. What's good for their citizens is good for them.

On the downside, government departments can be incompetent and wasteful on a scale not found in the private sector.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The trade commissions of a given country can often help you find companies that can help you with what you’re seeking.

The Mexican trade commission was helpful to me once.

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 22, 2011
I dug in a little bit more on each of the embassy's chamber of commerce sites. They all brunch off to different websites with reports, news and inevitably lists of importers like you guys mentioned.

Overall, I feel lost so I will just make some calls for people to guide me to the right page.

It seems that they are giving businesses many options, but I'm curious if they are organised/competent enough to help me. Now I understand why there are companies that deal with paperwork for you.

I hope I am wrong about the bureaucracy part though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted85763

I dug in a little bit more on each of the embassy's chamber of commerce sites. They all brunch off to different websites with reports, news and inevitably lists of importers like you guys mentioned.

Overall, I feel lost so I will just make some calls for people to guide me to the right page.

It seems that they are giving businesses many options, but I'm curious if they are organised/competent enough to help me. Now I understand why there are companies that deal with paperwork for you.

I hope I am wrong about the bureaucracy part though.
I once contacted my local Small Business Administration. I told them about my product and they gave me the names of companies who they said would buy from me. I was so excited. I called the names - they were all marketing companies that wanted me to pay them to give me advice on how to market my product!

I think you best is to simply find out who imports your type of olive oil, or just olive oil, contact them and see if there's any interest. It's not rocket science. The internet is a good resource. Try trade associations. They worked wonders for me. If you contact enough of the best candidates you should be able to generate interest, if you have a good product that is priced right.

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 22, 2011
I once contacted my local Small Business Administration. I told them about my product and they gave me the names of companies who they said would buy from me. I was so excited. I called the names - they were all marketing companies that wanted me to pay them to give me advice on how to market my product!

I think you best is to simply find out who imports your type of olive oil, or just olive oil, contact them and see if there's any interest. It's not rocket science. The internet is a good resource. Try trade associations. They worked wonders for me. If you contact enough of the best candidates you should be able to generate interest, if you have a good product that is priced right.

You know what? You might be right. There are so many contacts on each of those websites and on top of that, the multiple consulates who will probably pass me around until I find the right person.

I know some people who built connections with diplomats or any other politician who is willing to make negotiations (and they made millions), but some embassies have lists of potential importers that I can personally reach out to.

Not all embassies and consulates have those lists, but it's worth a shot, because I have no clue how much time it takes to establish solid contacts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.