The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some help from any programmers here

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I've recently been required to send and receive xml data via the post method using https. Has anyone here had to do that in the past? If so, is there an easy way of going about this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
I am not a programmer, but I studied programming before at high school (and even won a programming competition). I don't have a strong background in web services and SSL which is what you're asking.

But as far as I know, there's no easy way out to do what you want to achieve. Read up about 'web services' (keywords: REST, SOAP, web services). And it is more important to choose the language on which you want your web services to be built on top of. I recommend PHP since there are extensive libraries for that. You will be tempted to learn many languages, the most popular one is Ruby on Rails now. However, don't follow the crowd. Just stick to one language and be damn good at it.

Start learning HTML first, then go over to PHP. Try to install PHP, and play around with it. If you don't understand stuff, you can go and ask questions at stackoverflow.com or any similar sites. This may not be the right forum to ask.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I am not a programmer, but I studied programming before at high school (and even won a programming competition). I don't have a strong background in web services and SSL which is what you're asking.

But as far as I know, there's no easy way out to do what you want to achieve. Read up about 'web services' (keywords: REST, SOAP, web services). And it is more important to choose the language on which you want your web services to be built on top of. I recommend PHP since there are extensive libraries for that. You will be tempted to learn many languages, the most popular one is Ruby on Rails now. However, don't follow the crowd. Just stick to one language and be damn good at it.

Start learning HTML first, then go over to PHP. Try to install PHP, and play around with it. If you don't understand stuff, you can go and ask questions at stackoverflow.com or any similar sites. This may not be the right forum to ask.

Yea, I know html, xhtml, and a little bit of css and java. I guess I'll have to swallow this bitter pill and learn php. It makes sense to do so anyways since I don't want to have to pay someone every time I need help. Thanks bro.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Have you gotten the SSL cert set-up on your server? If so, it's as simple as accessing the page with https://url.com: Search with Many

If not, I'm sure your host, or whatever server you're running has a tutorial just go a google search

Granted, assuming you want to manipulate the XML data, you'd still need to learn a server-side language for that. Not for this though.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Have you gotten the SSL cert set-up on your server? If so, it's as simple as accessing the page with https://url.com: Search with Many

Accessing what page?

If not, I'm sure your host, or whatever server you're running has a tutorial just go a google search

They don't but I emailed them and they said they'll get back to me.

Granted, assuming you want to manipulate the XML data, you'd still need to learn a server-side language for that. Not for this though.

So, there's no program available that I can enter the xml data into and have it send that data to a url and receive the response? That would make things much easier.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It depends on what you want to do with your XML data. It's not something to plug and play. There is always some customization to fit your need.

The best option to is to learn a little PHP or .NET programming.

I pick PHP, because it's much easier to write without any programming tool.

Here are some hints for you to get start.

PHP CURL function to call and post your XML data and receive XML data
PHP XML Parser to parse and digest your XML Data
PHP File function to store XML file on your server for later use

That's just the easy part. What do you want to do with the DATA? Store in DB? Email them or ...

PHP is fairly easy. If you really want to do your own things, learning PHP isn't that hard.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Accessing what page?

Whichever page you need to send\recieve the data securely to (https). So, say the address you want to see secure it to is: www .example.com/secure you'll need to set the link specifically to "https://www .example.com/secure" and SSL certs are set up. That easy.

So, there's no program available that I can enter the xml data into and have it send that data to a url and receive the response? That would make things much easier.

So, the user types up an XML file, and then sends the file to the server? The server then reads it, and replies back? Could you please explain in more detail. It's certainly possible that there could be a less hassle solution depending on what you're doing.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
So, the user types up an XML file, and then sends the file to the server? The server then reads it, and replies back? Could you please explain in more detail. It's certainly possible that there could be a less hassle solution depending on what you're doing.

Essentially yes. However, I was given a sample xml file to use. All I have to do is insert my values but the code stays the same except for a few minor details. I sent you and terence private messages with more details.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
WOOT! I get it now. Amazing what a few hours of research can accomplish. I know how to go about doing this myself now. Web services was totally confusing to me before but now I get it.

code junkie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 10, 2010
Just make sure you sort out encoding. It can be a mess with PHP. Though PHP 6 promises all our encoding problems will magically go away soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.