The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wordpress Tutorial Collection

awanrmb

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 24, 2013
Indonesia
Hi Fastlaner,

This is one of my way to give back to this awesome community.

The main purpose is to help FLF member to gain more knowledge about wordpress. After reading the tutorials, you should be pretty confident with Wordpress. If you decided not to do it by yourself and hire other people, then you will be less likely to get scammed because you already know the overall process.

I will start with the basic things, then move forward to more complicated tutorials like building themes/plugins.

Hopefully it will give benefit to you :)

First Tutorial: How To Install Wordpress On Your Computer.

Do you know that you can install wordpress on your computer? Why would you do it? Usually the main reason is for testing and development. It is safer and faster. If you develop themes/plugins on your computer(usually referred as localhost), your online site will not be changed. Then after you finished with testing and development, you can just upload it on your hosting.

Now, to be able to run wordpress in localhost you need to understand the components.

Wordpress is being made by php as programming language. So you need php on your machine. It also use MySQL as database. To run php, you need web server named Apache. In the earlier days, you need to install PHP, MySQL and Apache separately then configure it so it can speak to each other. But now, you just need to download XAMPP and all will be done automatically for you.

Here's how:

Download XAMPP on https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

I am using Windows and select version 1.8.3. You can choose according to your own OS.
mOOCDg6.png

After finish download, double click the installer and follow through with Next several times to go forward to other screens. Bitnami provide installation of XAMPP+wordpress but I prefer to download and install it separately so you can know more about the process.
byxcugf.png

When the installation finished, go to XAMPP control panel by clicking icon on the icon tray (on windows) or in the start menu. It should open this window:
7dVfRUh.png

If you receive the same error message (on the red text) it means that you should configure your Skype because so it won't use the same port as Apache. You should open Skype -> Tools -> Options -> advanced -> Connections .Then uncheck option “Use port 80 & 443 for additional incoming connections”

After you configure Skype, you should be able to start Apache and MySQL
Ca3olXT.png

Now we will create database that will be used by wordpress. To create the database, click the Admin button on MySQL.
ne2Zif6.png

It will open phpmyadmin on your browser:
blYlbJJ.png

Click New on the left side bar and then fill up the database name: mysite1
t7OJ2b9.png

After environment settings on your computer has been finished, now we will continue on Wordpress part.
Download wordpress from: http://wordpress.org/download/

After it finished, extract the wordpress into XAMPP >> htdocs directory. On my computer the directory structure is like this:
sfBz46A.png

On that directory, rename “wp-config-sample.php” to be “wp-config.php” then open it using notepad or notepad++
CIM0vAG.png

Next, change the database name, user and password into something like this:
- Database name will be ‘mysatename1’
- Database user will be ‘root’
- Database password will be blank ‘’ make sure that there’s no space between the aposthrope
Z5888Nw.png

After configured the wp-config.php, open your browser and go to Wordpress installation http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php
Fill the title, username, password and then click install.
Sqzf79S.png

If you see this screen, then it means you’re success. Congratulation!
9yA4oFA.png

Now your wordpress on localhost can be opened using url http://localhost/wordpress/
To login to your dashboard you can login using http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/
eatvKol.png

Simple isn't? Your computer now can act as a web server and you can run wordpress locally.

You can login to the dashboard, upload themes and play with many things inside.

You can also go to themeforest and buy premium themes to setup on your local wordpress.

If you have difficulties, you can post here and I'll do my best to help :)

For the next tutorials, I'm planning to write about how to install wordpress on your hosting.
But if you have any suggestion, you can mention what kind of tutorial about wordpress that you like.

Cheers,
Awan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

IronMunkee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 26, 2013
Oh wow! Just today I was wondering man how do I play with WordPress and learn some advanced features if I can't really afford hosting right now. This is great! I wanna learn how to at least set up some basic sites and hopefully freelance whatever I can, I don't know programming but I've played with WP before it wasn't all too hard.

Thanks and please keep em coming!

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Kudos to anyone trying to help out this community. Great job!

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Awesome thread!

Quick question : I'm installing the Agile WordPress theme and I have lots of duplicated pages at the top... So, like five iterations of home, team, etc. How do I fix this?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Awesome thread!

Quick question : I'm installing the Agile WordPress theme and I have lots of duplicated pages at the top... So, like five iterations of home, team, etc. How do I fix this?
Post a link, so that we can see it?

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Not publicly, not yet...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

awanrmb

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 24, 2013
Indonesia
@IronMunkee : Glad I can help!
Freelancing is one phase that can be useful to gain knowledge and funding your FL idea.
Reading from the book, @MJ DeMarco also doing freelance to get knowledge of web dev before creating his taxi website.
Btw is there any particular topic about wordpress that you like me to cover?
I'll do my best to incorporate it on my next tutorial.

@Gale4rc : Thank you for the encouragement!
Just let me know if you need any wordpress tutorial to cover.

@Iwokeup : In my experience this kind of thing happen because of duplicate import data.
You can manually delete the pages and navigation.
Or you can just delete the database and create clean install.
Ask away if you need any help!

I'm planning to write more tutorial in one-two days.
Hopefully I can understand more in which area that you want to know about wordpress.

:cool:
Cheers from sunny Indonesia,
Awan

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
On that directory, rename “wp-config-sample.php” to be “wp-config.php” then open it using notepad or notepad++
CIM0vAG.png

Next, change the database name, user and password into something like this:
- Database name will be ‘mysatename1’
- Database user will be ‘root’
- Database password will be blank ‘’ make sure that there’s no space between the aposthrope
Z5888Nw.png

I just wanted to let you know that if you use a Mac there is a little difference in setup that makes an awful lot of a difference.
If by any chance the above doesn't work, change 'localhost' to 'Localhost' (yes... capitalized L) as follows:

define('DB_HOST', 'Localhost');

do not ask my why.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Wow amazing!

Just starting to learn my way around WP Wish I had seen this before I bought hosting but oh well:rolleyes: you never know till you know.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I had a problem where the exe wouldn't run and all I would see is the blue loading icon on the pointer.

Solved my issue by turning off UAC and downloaded the zip file instead

Although I could have turned of UAC and then tried running the exe but it all worked out .

just thought id throw this in here just incase anyone has the same problem

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I finished installing but I only see one PID(s) and every time I I click on the link to access WordPress I have to enter the port number.

Is this normal or can I do something so that it goes in automatically?

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 11

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power