What's new

20 year old starting a subscription-based business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

NickS

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading my thread. I’m a 20 year old “wantrepreneur” who is looking to start his own business. Still in college, which is bad because it eats my time, but the upside is I have no living costs of my own, which allows me to focus on my money-making efforts without fear of bankruptcy.

I have had one other project – a Wordpress blog – which didn’t take off unfortunately. The failed venture gave me some technical knowledge however, and I’m confident I can take this business on a profitable path.

Part of why I ditched my previous project is because of some Fastline insights: it failed the command of Entry, Control, and Time. A bad score.

This idea I’m having will hopefully score better: it’s a subscription based business (like the Dollar Shave Club) that delivers monthly a variety of flavors of a consumable with an active, buying, hip audience.

First of all – I am in Europe. The subscription-box type of business model is starting to emerge around these parts, but mostly the market remains untapped. This is where I, hopefully, can fill a Need and provide value through delivering quality samples and rare, unheard-of flavors. Once the subscription model is gaining traction, I will hopefully be able to “ride the wave” and profit from being one of the first of its kind. I have observed other such businesses do very well btw!

Still with me?

Tomorrow I will buy a domain name. I’m on the fence about the name. I’m tempted to go with an exotic TLD to show a trendy, current image. Something like: name.club . Or should I go with nameclub.com anyway? Does it matter at all?

I know how to set up a website with Wordpress. There are several pieces of software designed specifically to create subscription-based businesses, but at 20 dollars/month this won’t make me profitable until I hit a certain number of subscribers. I will probably go with WooCommerce and associated plug-ins and see how that works out – once I gain subscribers I can upgrade to specific software. I’ve considered even doing it manually for the first few subscribers (get them to pay me via Paypal and manage everything offline with Excel). Thoughts on this?

I’ve already crunched some numbers through Excel, and I have a very accurate estimate of costs and profits involved. Still an estimate, however!

Things I need to do:

· Figure out how much packaging + branding of boxes would cost

· Figure out how much I can expect to pay for top notch design work for the website

My game plan is as follows:

1. Order a tiny amount of product, boxes, and other miscellaneous items (stickers, flyers) that get sent to customers

2. Get the website up and running

3. Ask my family to sign up, get feedback, and refund them – this is basically an exercise to manage this operation on a micro-scale

4. Once everything runs smooth, offer subscriptions at half the price for the first x amount of subscribers, and offer bonuses via “refer a friend” campaigns

5. Reach out to my personal network

6. Hopefully by this point I have at least some subscribers and I’m able to turn a profit (however small) which I can spend on advertising and reaching out to influencers

7. Get feedback, adjust, improve & repeat.

Right now I have some exams I have to get through, but I plan on working on the website on the side. Once the exams are over, it’s go time.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, I’d very much appreciate it.

Jo iwiszupi,

O'wi ciip muuloph ev emm vji foggisipv tugvxesi uqvoupt gus jepfoph tactdsoqvoup tohp-aqt epf qeznipvt, juxiwis vjiz esi emm qsivvz iyqiptowi (gus nz tvepfesft...)

Epzupi desi vu djoni op xovj vjios uqopoup us iyqisoipdi?

O'wi ciip muuloph ev Tjuqogz + SiDjeshi (e qmah op) cav vjot enuapvt vu piesmz 50 fummest/nupvj, qmat vji dav vjiz veli ugg epz temit. XuuDunnisdi ot gsii up e qis-nupvj cetot cav jet e jahi aqgsupv dutv (op vji japfsift). Vjip vjisi esi e gix tugvxesit tqidogodemmz gus tactdsoqvoup-cetif catopitt....

Og iwiszvjoph ot huoph vu ci iyqiptowi O nohjv et ximm hu gus vji citv raemovz (cuvj gus nz epf datvunis't teli) tu dep epzupi efwoti ni vji citv commoph, tohp-aq epf qeznipv tugvxesi gus e tactdsoqvoup-cetif catopitt nufim?

Vjeplt op efwepdi.

vji citv commoph, tohp-aq epf qeznipv tugvxesi gus e tactdsoqvoup-cetif catopitt nufim?
Datvun qsuhsennif + qsuqis nisdjepv edduapv.

O'n dassipvmz caomfoph e sidassoph qsufadv up xxx.qedvet.dun xjodj ot qsivvz duum. Xomm dutv ni nof 4 gohasit / nupvj updi iwiszvjoph ot sappoph, cav zua huvve tqipf nupiz vu neli nupiz :).

O'n dassipvmz caomfoph e sidassoph qsufadv up xxx.qedvet.dun xjodj ot qsivvz duum. Xomm dutv ni nof 4 gohasit / nupvj updi iwiszvjoph ot sappoph, cav zua huvve tqipf nupiz vu neli nupiz :).
Vjev xictovi't muef tqiif ot optepi U_U

Vjev xictovi't muef tqiif ot optepi U_U
Mueft op apfis 1tid gus ni :/. Vjiz veshiv bij Hisnep nesliv vjuahj, tu nezci vjiz monov tqiif gus zepliit up qasquti :)

Datvun qsuhsennif xomm ci xez vuu iyqiptowi gus e tvesv-aq. O'mm qsucecmz ipf aq jewoph e datvun caomv upi epzxez, cav gus vji nunipv ov't katv puv dutv iggidvowi. O eqqsidoevi vji tahhitvoup vjuahj.

O'wi ciip vjoploph ug Dsevikuz epf Taccmz. O'mm qsucecmz katv qamm vji vsohhis up Dsevikuz epf tvuq nipvemmz netvascevoph uwis vjot... Epzupi jewi epz giifcedl dupdispop vjiti tugvxesit?

Mueft op apfis 1tid gus ni :/. Vjiz veshiv bij Hisnep nesliv vjuahj, tu nezci vjiz monov tqiif gus zepliit up qasquti :)
Ji qsucecmz niepv vjev. Ov't optepimz getv

Datvun qsuhsennif xomm ci xez vuu iyqiptowi gus e tvesv-aq. O'mm qsucecmz ipf aq jewoph e datvun caomv upi epzxez, cav gus vji nunipv ov't katv puv dutv iggidvowi. O eqqsidoevi vji tahhitvoup vjuahj.

O'wi ciip vjoploph ug Dsevikuz epf Taccmz. O'mm qsucecmz katv qamm vji vsohhis up Dsevikuz epf tvuq nipvemmz netvascevoph uwis vjot... Epzupi jewi epz giifcedl dupdispop vjiti tugvxesit?

Ji qsucecmz niepv vjev. Ov't optepimz getv
Ziej vjev't xjev O niepv mum taqis taqis getv

Ximm, zua xisi etloph gus vji citv tumavoup ;).

O vjopl Dsevikuz ot tumof, vjuahj ot piwis atif ov. Vjisi xet e coh vjsief up siffov gsun tuni haz xovj e tactdsoqvoup catopitt xju atif vjin epf sidunnipfif johjmz. Jisi ov ot: jvvqt://xxx.siffov.dun/s/Ipvsiqsipi..._oppis_xuslopht_ug_e_tactdsoqvoup_cuy_dunqepz

Fiqifoph up zuas catopitt nufim O'f ati vjev us XuuDunnisdi xovj vji tactdsoqvoupt+tvsoqi effup.

Vsz Sitvsodv Dupvipv Qsu ($35 xovj qsunu dufi: XOPPOPHXQ) us Qeof Nincistjoqt Qsu (gsii cav natv qez gus taqqusv)

Mez vjuti csodlt!

Demdamevif nuwit.

Nadj nusi muhodem epf sevoupem vjep katv hencmoph zuas nupiz exez.

Ov dep ci e gopi mopi, cideati ug vji tvelit opwumwif. Juxiwis, upi ot tuapf catopitt qsedvodi, epf cetif up vji nutv quxisgam xiequp op iyotvipdi: vji muhodem, sevoupem, duptdouat nopf.

Vji uvjis ot movisemmz, cz figopovoup, nipvem ommpitt; e fotieti ug vji nopf.

Zua piif vu vitv vji nesliv cigusi zua xeml vji xeml.

Ati Tvsoqi et zuas qeznipv qsudittus. Vjiz jewi ep uqvoup gus sidassoph qeznipvt. Zua dep jewi e gsii vsoem og zua moli et ximm.

QezQem emtu jet sidassoph qeznipv gapdvoupemovz.

Gsun vjisi zua xuamf ati e duppidvus moli Beqois vu dunnapodevi vu zuasusfis/opwipvusz nepehis. Topdi O'n atoph nz tactdsoqvoup gus e pixtmivvis, O ati Beqois vu tipf pix datvunis opgusnevoup civxiip tvsoqi epf Hivsitqupti, nz ineom qsuwofis.

Huuf madl!

Vjeplt gus siqmzoph, iwiszupi.

Xovj sihesft vu qeznipv qsudittoph, O'mm hu xovj Dsevikuz + Tvsoqi. O dep emxezt djephi cav O sief wisz huuf siwoixt ecuav cuvj vji tugvxesi epf datvunis tiswodi.

Zua piif vu vitv vji nesliv cigusi zua xeml vji xeml.

Jux xuamf O fu vjev? Tiv aq vji xictovi, qez gus tuni eft, epf xjip qiuqmi tohp aq, howi vjin ep "Uav ug tvudl" nittehi?

uq, etl zuastimg vjot

fu qiuqmi siemmz piif/xepv e tactdsoqvoup vu vjot lopf ug qsufadv?

O tex vjev zua nipvoupif gmewust tu djepdit esi ov ot ep ifocmi us tqsez/gsitjipis ug tuni lopf

O cimoiwi tu. Et O nipvoupif vjot catopitt nufim ot edvowi op Enisode emsiefz, epf nusi us mitt vji iyedv teni tiswodi O en uggisoph ot xusloph ximm ipuahj uwis vjisi vu katvogz vji iyotvipdi ug namvoqmi dunqivovust... Xjodj niept vjisi tasimz ot finepf.

Jux xuamf O fu vjev? Tiv aq vji xictovi, qez gus tuni eft, epf xjip qiuqmi tohp aq, howi vjin ep "Uav ug tvudl" nittehi?
O en puv tasi vjev O gammz apfistvepf xjev ot ov zua esi timmoph cav epzxez, vu vitv e qjztodem qsufadv, O xuamf qav op gus temi up icez. Tiv ov vu vji noponan qsodi zua xuamf piif ov vu hu epf tii jux johj qiuqmi esi coffoph, vjip iovjis zua dep fimowis raodlmz xjip vji eadvoup gopotjit us zua depdim ov katv cigusi ov gopotjit. Vitv fupi, zua xomm tii xjivjis qiuqmi esi opvisitvif us puv epf ev xjev qsodi.

O en huoph vu tiv aq e tnemm xictovi.

1. Piesmz emm evvipvoup tjuamf hu vu vji "ipvis zuas i-neom jisi" goimf. Vji huem ot vu caomf e motv vu vitv vji nesliv gus nz ofie.
2. Vji esie cimux xomm ci atif vu genomoesobi qiuqmi xovj vji ofie ug e tactdsoqvoup-cetif catopitt.

O fup'v xepv vu summ xovj Dsevikuz cigusi O heahif opvisitv qsuqismz. Tu, epz Xusfqsitt vjinit vjev esi huuf xovj xjev O piif? Xusfqsitt ot vji upmz vjoph O jewi iyqisoipdi xovj, cav upmz xovj cmuhhoph. O'n muuloph ev e nutvmz upi-qehi xictovi jisi, xjodj qasquti ot vu dummidv i-neomt ug xuamf-ci datvunist.

(og zua'si xupfisoph xjz vjot vuul tu muph - O jef vu tvsahhmi vjsuahj apowistovz iyent epf veli desi ug tdjuum-xusl gostv)

Jo iwiszupi,

O'wi ciip muuloph ev emm vji foggisipv tugvxesi uqvoupt gus jepfoph tactdsoqvoup tohp-aqt epf qeznipvt, juxiwis vjiz esi emm qsivvz iyqiptowi (gus nz tvepfesft...)

Epzupi desi vu djoni op xovj vjios uqopoup us iyqisoipdi?

O'wi ciip muuloph ev Tjuqogz + SiDjeshi (e qmah op) cav vjot enuapvt vu piesmz 50 fummest/nupvj, qmat vji dav vjiz veli ugg epz temit. XuuDunnisdi ot gsii up e qis-nupvj cetot cav jet e jahi aqgsupv dutv (op vji japfsift). Vjip vjisi esi e gix tugvxesit tqidogodemmz gus tactdsoqvoup-cetif catopitt....

Og iwiszvjoph ot huoph vu ci iyqiptowi O nohjv et ximm hu gus vji citv raemovz (cuvj gus nz epf datvunis't teli) tu dep epzupi efwoti ni vji citv commoph, tohp-aq epf qeznipv tugvxesi gus e tactdsoqvoup-cetif catopitt nufim?

Vjeplt op efwepdi.

Qezumii uggist tactdsoqvoup epf sidassoph qeznipvt. Zua nohjv xepv vu djidl vjin uav.

jvvq://xxx.qezumii.dun/sidassoph-qeznipvt

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom